View Poll Results: Which Would You Buy?
PISA For $215 8 72.73%
Freestyle for $285 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Definitely A Medela - But Which?

The freestyle looks good, but the fact that it's so new would sway me. The PISA is well tried and well loved by many, whereas how well received the freestyle is, is still up in the air. I'd hate to spend that much to have it not work for me. The chances of the PISA being good for you are higher, because you know they worked well on a higher amount of people tested across a much wider audience for a much longer period of time, whereas the jury is still kind of out on the freestyle because not many people have tried it yet.

It's up to you, though. If I knew it would work okay, I'd be tempted by the bulk. I carry my PISA to and from work every day, I have one of the older shoulder style carriers, not the back pack, and I'm getting some back problems because of the weight. A lighter pump would be AOK with me

indigenist, intactivist, lactivist vegetarian supermama to Trey, 10/03 and Theo, 09/07.
IDesperateSO Personal Enlightenment and a Full Bank Account - Don't sell to me!
naivete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
Registered Users

Thanks ladies for all the advice. I have decided on the PISA backpack model. Funny, I always thought I'd prefer the shoulder bag, but then the more I thought about it, it just seemed the backpack would be easier to carry around than a shoulder bag.

I emailed the lady I am ordering from, she will call for credit card info for payment, so it's not officially ordered until I talk to her, but I have made my decision.

Thanks so much!
Malenkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

i've used pisa w/ both & loved it...mine just died after 9yrs & several babies...mine & my friend's. i'm currently using one on loan
tree13ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Malenkaya View Post
Definitely leaning more and more towards the PISA.

An interesting sidenote - I just got off the phone with my insurance company (Humana, which we get through DH's work) and there is absolutely no coverage for a breast pump. Nada, zip, zero. I've had so many people say check with your insurance because sometimes they will pay for it. I've also had people say have them put it on the hospital bill because they don't itemize and your insurance will pay for it. My hospital does not sell breast pumps, something else I found odd. To top it off, I asked about medical necessity - most insurance plans will cover the breast pump if after baby is born and it's deemed medically necessary - if she would be in the NICU for example. Humana says no. It's up to you, we don't help with a breast pump regardless of your situation. Does that sound crappy or what?

I also asked about a lactation consultant. If I meet with one in the hospital they will cover it. Once we leave the hospital, we are completely on our own.

Humana doesn't sound very BF friendly to me. And they have otherwise been wonderful - the plan and coverage, aside from this, has been better than anything I've ever had before.
My youngest son spent 5 weeks in the NICU and my insurance would not reimburse a penny for the hospital grade pump rental. They also would not pay a penny for any LC consultations.
Christine, Wife to Reggie & BFing, BWing, CDing Mama to 4 great kids!
RJ (11y),Christian (8y),Olivia (4y)&Colin (2y Hirschsprung's Disease)
Au Pair in America - Live-in child care with a cultural flair.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

never used the freestyle only the PIS and for me I agree save your money the freestyle works awesome
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 PM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

I didn't vote because I can't tell when you'll be using it? Perhaps it is too late and I need to re-read it. I pump once a day now (a bit more earlier on to get my supply up) and my medela swing works just fine so far.
another amanda | mama to viveka, my sunshine & rohan, my vbac toddler
tandeming | content contributor | opinionated full-time telecommuting | unequally-yoked Catholic Wife
Let me be your bag lady! THIRTY-One? Check out my giveaways!
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #17
Registered Users

I have a PIS, not the advanced - I use it every day at work for about a month now and it's more than enough to get the job done! Mine gets left at work, parts come back and forth with me so I don't lug anything around. I say as long as it's a double electric pump, you're good!
momofapeanut is offline   Reply With Quote