View Poll Results: Do/did you use jar or homemade baby food?
Homemade 55 33.33%
Jar 27 16.36%
both 83 50.30%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: baby food: jar vs homemade

ladies who know of more links & facts PLEASE post them lol I'd like some stuff to show hubby

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #12
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh also, at what age can I just start tossing some of our meals into the blender for him (considering the spices, seasonings and so on) or can I start now just by rinsing off?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

The LLL has super suggestions for first foods. My guys really loved mashed avacado, sweet potato, bananas, etc. Also, I would puree some brown rice. I could make it savory or sweeten with cooked raisins. As they got older I would puree parts of our meals. For instance if we had fried rice, I would puree some for him and freeze. Now if we were having spicy tacos, I have no problem cracking open a jar of food but most would get thrown away.
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #14
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I made all of my ds's baby food, he would not eat anything out of the jar ~ mama made only. With my dd I started making it but found she would also eat the jar baby food. Since I was working full time I kind of did half and half. This time I am planning on making my own again.

I never once had an issue with my kids getting sick from it. I followed the basic rules of cooking. Make it, freeze into small portions (ice cube trays worked great), defrost only what was going to be eaten that day, toss any unused portions right away. I never made mass quantities so nothing was ever in the freezer more than like 2 weeks tops. I think if you are safe in your handling of the food during cooking and after it will be fine. My dr. actually gave me this little homemade baby food guide when dd was a baby, said how long things are good in the fridge or freezer, reciepes for making the thicker combos as well as tips as to what does and does not freeze well. I know his wife made all their baby food.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #15
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I always fed our kids the jarred stuff. I guess I am just not motivated to DIY. Not that I think there is anything wrong with it. In fact I am almost pos homemade stuff would taste better. I am just lazy I guess. LOL Might explain why both my girls were eating regular food early, my youngest flat out refused baby food at around 8 mo so I started giving her finger foods and she has pretty much been feeding herself since. I am sure that as a concerned parent you make sure the food you serve is well cooked and safe for your family to eat. What you could do is get a small food chopper or baby food mill and just process the food that the rest of your family is eating (mostly the veggie and pasta or rice for now). Then you can say to DH, it is good enough for the rest of us why isn't it good enough for him. How can he refuse that logic right. Of course you have to consider seasonings and such, but also remember that children in countries where spices are strong still eat those same foods. Just be careful to see what he can tolerate.

Sorry I don't have any resources to back up the pro's and cons of either. But I don't think your dr did really either did he. Except the title Dr, and we all know that isn't always a good indicator of anything special. (Not saying you don't have a good Dr just some are not so good)
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #16
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madalexsmom
I made all of my ds's baby food, he would not eat anything out of the jar ~ mama made only. With my dd I started making it but found she would also eat the jar baby food. Since I was working full time I kind of did half and half. This time I am planning on making my own again.

I never once had an issue with my kids getting sick from it. I followed the basic rules of cooking. Make it, freeze into small portions (ice cube trays worked great), defrost only what was going to be eaten that day, toss any unused portions right away. I never made mass quantities so nothing was ever in the freezer more than like 2 weeks tops. I think if you are safe in your handling of the food during cooking and after it will be fine. My dr. actually gave me this little homemade baby food guide when dd was a baby, said how long things are good in the fridge or freezer, reciepes for making the thicker combos as well as tips as to what does and does not freeze well. I know his wife made all their baby food.

what was the name of the guide? maybe I can try & find it online ty!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:40 AM   #17
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
I always fed our kids the jarred stuff. I guess I am just not motivated to DIY. Not that I think there is anything wrong with it. In fact I am almost pos homemade stuff would taste better. I am just lazy I guess. LOL Might explain why both my girls were eating regular food early, my youngest flat out refused baby food at around 8 mo so I started giving her finger foods and she has pretty much been feeding herself since. I am sure that as a concerned parent you make sure the food you serve is well cooked and safe for your family to eat. What you could do is get a small food chopper or baby food mill and just process the food that the rest of your family is eating (mostly the veggie and pasta or rice for now). Then you can say to DH, it is good enough for the rest of us why isn't it good enough for him. How can he refuse that logic right. Of course you have to consider seasonings and such, but also remember that children in countries where spices are strong still eat those same foods. Just be careful to see what he can tolerate.

Sorry I don't have any resources to back up the pro's and cons of either. But I don't think your dr did really either did he. Except the title Dr, and we all know that isn't always a good indicator of anything special. (Not saying you don't have a good Dr just some are not so good)

very good point he did not show me anything to back it up and no DR doesn't always mean "GOD"
Old 09-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #18
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always did jarred food. No real reason other than I just didn't want to make my own. I always read the labels and made sure I approved of everything in the jar before giving it to dd. Like some of the fruits added fruit juice so I avoided those for awhile. The desserts all had sugar added and she never got those. I was slow to give her the dinners with onion powder in it but did eventually give those. I don't think jarred food is bad (obviously) but neither do I think homemade is bad (or better for that matter). I think you should do what you want as long as your baby gets fed.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #19
monkeylove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ds is about a week older than yours and since we are using so little solid, I just give him the food from a jar. I do organic....I will make food when it is a larger part of his diet but for now I am just overwhelmed by other parenting stuff...
Old 09-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #20
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks for your input ladies