View Poll Results: Do/did you use jar or homemade baby food?
Homemade 55 33.33%
Jar 27 16.36%
both 83 50.30%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #21
Zany Zebra Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: baby food: jar vs homemade

I've made almost all my babies' food for the past 11 yrs, except for baby cereal. But I started using whole grains with Zach and will with this new one too. I'm always tasting the food as I make it, to make sure it's yummy.

I found it easiest to make up a whole bunch at once - steaming, food processing, freezing in ice cube trays, then storing in dated and labeled ziplock bags. O liked to do a month's worth or more at a time and only have to clean up once than to do it once a week.

Advertisement

Zany Zebra Designs ~ Diapers as beautifully unique as your child.

~ It's happy, it's crazy, it's my life ~ My Happy Crazy Life
~Amy Sue, Mama to &
Zany Zebra Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #22
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

I've always made by daughters food. I tasted the jar food and told myself I would not feed her something that I could in no way eat. She enjoys the homemade food better. And now it's easier since she's older I just add a veggie or something to our meals and just feed her the same food we eat.

Here are some links I found that might interest you.

I second the http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com It's what helped me to get started.

Advantages of Homemade food:
http://babyparenting.about.com/od/nutritionandfeeding/a/homebabyfood.htm
http://www.homefamily.net/index.php/categories/foodnutrition/homemade_baby_food
Old 09-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #23
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

question about ice cube trays, shouldn't I cover them or put em in a ziploc while they are in the ice cube trays?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #24
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocfb16
I've always made by daughters food. I tasted the jar food and told myself I would not feed her something that I could in no way eat. She enjoys the homemade food better. And now it's easier since she's older I just add a veggie or something to our meals and just feed her the same food we eat.

Here are some links I found that might interest you.

I second the http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com It's what helped me to get started.

Advantages of Homemade food:
http://babyparenting.about.com/od/nutritionandfeeding/a/homebabyfood.htm
http://www.homefamily.net/index.php/categories/foodnutrition/homemade_baby_food

thanks hun!
Old 09-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #25
momtothreeboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I replied, both. For all three of my children I used a lot of jars of veggies but I liked doing the fruits. I mashed bannanas and cooked apples and pears and put them in the blender. I did not like doing the veggies. I think both are great for your baby. I like homemade baby food because you don't have to worry about recalls and you know the food you make is good. But both works for my family. When my children got around 10 months I started mashing what I made for dinner and thwey ate it. My son is 7 months so ina month or two-no more baby food
momtothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #26
LadonnaKen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know I'm late, but I thought I'd add my $ .02.

You know that solids are only for practice the first year, right? So, going with that in mind, I allowed the solids thing just happen naturally for us. When Samuel was 7.5 months old, I mashed up an organic banana, thinned it a bit with a few drops of my milk, and let him taste that. At meal times, he always sat in his highchair and enjoyed our conversations while he chewed on his teething ring or other toys (though I did sometimes freeze some of my milk to give him a "mommy milk popcicle"). After a week or so of doing the banana thing, I bought an avacado and did the same thing, and we went from there. I never really "made baby food"---as in making a bunch ahead of time and freezing--that works great for some families, but for our lifestyle, it was just easier to let the introduction to foods happen naturally. There were days that he had no solids--I just went with his cues and what we had around here that was healthy for him to try. There were times when I did blend up some brown rice in the blender, and then cooked it on the stove, and made him some "baby rice," and there were also times when I steamed carrots and put them in front of him so he could practice his pincher grasp on soft pieces (we didn't do the Cheerios thing).

Anyway, that's how solids happened for him. At one year, he was up to eating once a day pretty consistently, and sometimes twice a day, but his main diet was milk, as it has more calories and nutrition than any solids. I'd say by 16 months, he was eating regularly and his milk was the supplement--but I'm not sure as it just happened very naturally.

Oh...and I also have "The Super Baby Food Book" as a reference--though I disagree with the author on the amount of solids to give, she has some super, easy recipes, and other neat information. I think what your doctor meant about the poisoning thing might be something I read about steaming veggies---some people were putting the water into the food, and you're supposed to pour that water out and use fresh water (or I just use a steamer so I dont 'have to worry about that). But I would think most moms would not do that, anyway?

Anyway, that's our experience, FWIW.
LadonnaKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:49 AM   #27
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought you were suppose to boil your veggies and use the water you boiled em in to mix? see so many mixed messages! lol
Old 09-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #28
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

I make my own baby food but I don't see jarred as bad. I just don't like how it tastes, and I like being able to make him things that don't come in the jars (avocado, mango, etc)

When I freeze in the ice cube trays I cover the top with press n seal wrap, the freezer kind, let it freeze overnight, and transfer it to freezer baggies in the morning. Then I write on the baggie the food and the date it was frozen. It's really simple.

I'm confused though. On wholesome baby food I thought it said to use the liquid from steaming when you puree on certain foods??

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #29
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well I chose homemade, but my first son didn't eat baby food at all. I am a firm believer in not feeding a baby solids until they are actually ready to eat them, not starting at some arbitrary age suggested by a pedi. So Kearnan started eating at about 9 months. At that point he could have soft foods cut up, and mostly just ate what we were eating unless it was heavily spiced or a high allergen food. As a toddler he loved all kinds of different foods, fish, grilled chicken, pineapple, pretty much any melon, hummus, green beans, curry rice, dimsum dumplings. He has become much more picky these days. Now I am lucky if I can get him to eat at all. Tharen started acting interested in food earlier. He was always very hungry and started to act like he needed something more than breast milk. So when he was about 6 months I started offering mashed avacados and bannanas. Now he eats maybe one cube (about 2 table spoons) a day. I make all of his foods. It isn't very hard. If you follow the simple rules of food handling (washing your hands well, cooking long enough, pureeing imediately and freezing ect) homemade food is far safer and nutritionaly superior than jarred food. I can't imagine why your pedi recomended jars. Sounds alot like when they all used to recomend formula feeding because it was "better". Jars aren't evil, or toxic or anything, but they do have alot of perservatives and salt and chemicals that homemade foods don't have. Plus I think the homemade just tastes better.

Most babies can start eating what you are eating (depending on what that is of course) at around 7 months. At that age many can start eating soft chunky foods, like steamed veggies cut up, and small pieces of breads and rice. And of course you can always puree what you are eating for baby. Just be careful of high allergy foods, and foods high in nitrates (like spinach and brocolli) should wait until after 9 months of age. And I am sure you do it, but always closely supervise a baby while they are eating, especially if it is chunkier foods. Everyone always thinks that babies need really bland foods, but some babies like a bit of flavor. Kearnans favorite foods as a young toddler (probably 12 months) were hummus and curry rice. Tharen's new favorite is Thai ginger chicken rice soup. You just never know what your baby may like.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #30
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks for a very enlightening post Shannon