View Poll Results: Do/did you use jar or homemade baby food?
Homemade 55 33.33%
Jar 27 16.36%
both 83 50.30%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #51
sweetirishCT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: baby food: jar vs homemade

wow, many responses, but if you want another one...
i would spend a sunday afternoon steaming veggies then pureeing and immediately freezing them... keep it clean and you shouldn't have any problems with poisoning...
2-3 hrs of cooking usually gave me a couple weeks of food... we used jarred food also, but i was appalled at the expense of organics, so we cut back to just jarred meat meals and i prepped all the veggies...
have fun!!

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #52
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok here is my
I just bought a kidco food mill. You do not have to store the food at all so no chance of food poisoning. Just take whatever cooked/steamed food you want to feed baby and put it in the mill and turn the handle. And since it is not electric you can even take it out with you. Also I think your doc is talking about when people try to can their babies food. not just make it. Canning and the freezer method are both very different. You can get food poisioning from imprperly canned food vey easy but thats any food not just baby food. But cooking pureeing and freezing is different. There is a kit called- The Fresh Start Kit. That teaches you how to make and feeze your babies food. Its not too pricey and is very good.
Barbara
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #53
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks ladies still trying to get DH to budge but it's not working
Old 09-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #54
mama2train
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Trin had some jarred food, but she mostly ate what we ate. I did very little "making" of baby food--it was more along the lines of mashing up bananas or whatever we were eating. We really didn't see much need for special effort either way--she wanted to feed herself, and moved to finger food pretty quickly, so then it was frozen (thawed) veggies, etc. Since food is mainly for experience in the first year, she didn't eat a LOT of anything for a while--except breastmilk, of course!

I haven't read all of the responses, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but there have been cases of problems with jarred food. I know at one point (it was a while ago, of course) they were selling "apple juice" that was just sugar water--no apples in it at all. There have probably been other recalls, etc., that I'm not aware of. So doing it at home improperly isn't the only thing you'd want to be careful of "just in case."

I would also read the labels if I were going to go with jarred. There's no reason to get baby juice (for that matter, there's not much reason to *give* a baby juice, but that's another topic)--just water down 100% fruit juice whenever you decide to take that step. Don't give your baby the "desserts;" they're mainly sugar and fillers--totally unnecessary. But if you're in a pinch, jars can be handy. I found cheerios to be our main store-bought pal, but again, that was later.

HTH
mama2train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #55
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks yeah I know there are IFs with jars also... but like I said it's mostly hubby, but none of this is changing his mind *sigh* so just going to play it by ear lol
Old 09-17-2006, 10:03 PM   #56
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did both for awhile, but once I got my Magic Bullet, I did a lot more homemade. Another vote for that awesome tool and wholesomebabyfood.com.

The food I made tasted better and I liked being able to control the consistancy. Sweet potatoes and bananas were runny but I could make them more of a paste and she loved them! I started reading the labels of other brands and just couldn't choose them anymore. I also liked Earth's Best Organic. Much better tasting and I liked the choice I was making for my baby.

When she was older (around 10 months????) I froze food in the 4oz Glad containters. There were the perfect size for her hefty appetite.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 AM   #57
Ms.Doula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinsMommy
thanks ladies still trying to get DH to budge but it's not working
Have you asked him "WHY" he is so against just offering the baby fresh cooked food??

Sling Makin', Doula, & Crafty Christian WAHM & to 3 Girlies
Emily 3/2000(in heaven), Kayleigh 4/2001 & Riley 9/2002
& 1 lil' Guy Gabriel 3/2005 & baby Aubrey 5/2013
B
Ms.Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:20 AM   #58
Ms.Doula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Show him what the leading resource in Breastfeeding information & infant nutrition La Leche League has to say about it:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

Quote:
You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:
he is about six months old
he can sit up without any support
he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.
And if he is barely 6 mos old, there is no rush in starting or making it something other than an occassional treat or 'practice' since the American Academy of Pediatrics states:
Quote:
The American Academy of Pediatrics:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/100/6/1035

"Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after birth. Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk feedings but should receive iron-fortified infant formula. Gradual introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first year should complement the breast milk diet. It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired."
And again from LLL; First foods for babies

Sling Makin', Doula, & Crafty Christian WAHM & to 3 Girlies
Emily 3/2000(in heaven), Kayleigh 4/2001 & Riley 9/2002
& 1 lil' Guy Gabriel 3/2005 & baby Aubrey 5/2013
B

Last edited by Ms.Doula; 09-18-2006 at 01:56 AM.
Ms.Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:23 AM   #59
cuties02q
Registered Users
seller
seller

My plan was to never use jar food but every once in a while i just don't have the time to make something so i try to give ds as much homeade when i can
PhotographyBlog
cuties02q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:11 AM   #60
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

well like I said we only are offering now cause DS wants it, he loves it LOL but as far as hubby, he's just so against it cause of what Doc said *sigh* I wish I would have thought to ask for some "factual resources" lord knows we probably won't see the same Doc next time we go back!