Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
MommaKel
Registered Users

Vitamins for baby?

Okay, Mommas. My 6 week old DS is currently BF and my PED says that I should be giving him a vitamin supplement with Vitamin D (he suggested the Poly Vi Sol with Iron). I never did this with my first DS. Basically, what do you think? Is this necessary?

Advertisement

MommaKel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Monzie
Registered Users

Re: Vitamins for baby?

If your baby gets a little exposure to sunshine (without SPF sunscreen), you should be fine. Our bodies are meant to make Vitamin D that way. Your kiddo will also get a little Vitamin D through your breastmilk. Not a ton, but almost always enough. Anyway...Vitamin D supplements aren't well absorbed and are basically a waste of money. What you're trying to avoid is your kid getting rickets due to vitamin deficiency. But, honestly, have you ever heard of a child in North America who had rickets? There are a couple cases every year in Canada, but its generally just dark-skinned children who belong to religious communities where they need to cover up all the time, so they're rarely exposed to the sun.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

They told me that, too. I haven't given dd any, and when they ask me at her checkups if she is taking any, I just smile and say nope. Our ped hasn't given me a hard time about it at all.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
MommaKel
Registered Users

Thanks for the great info! I wasn't sure how much Vit D he would be getting by breastmilk, etc. No worries now! Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by MommaKel; 05-14-2008 at 11:06 AM.
MommaKel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
uoducks
Registered Users

Yes, same reccomendation here from our Pediatrician. Our daught. started the vitamin drops around 2wks old and continued until 1 year old.

It's for breastfed babies and is the standard.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
momofapeanut
Registered Users
seller

I agree that between breast milk and sunlight baby gets enough vit D and supplementing really isn't a necessity. I was suprised my Ped. never even mentioned supplementing.. yet so many others have been advised on the subject.
momofapeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Sammymac'smamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both my midwives, and our local health unit told me to give vit D supplements, so I bought the D Vi Sol brand. Dd gulped it down so fast that she would get very bad gas that took a few hours to get rid of. It was terrible, not to mention that it is full of sugar, which I don't like either. My naturopathic doc gave me a different kind of D supplement, called Biotics Bio-D-Mulsion. I give it to her as one drop on my finger, and the only ingredients (other than vit D) are sesame oil and a water and acacia emulsifier base. It is super easy to give, and no gas or sugar, so if you can find it where you are, and decide to supplement, I would strongly suggest it! Make sure you get the 400iu, not the 1000iu.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
threecrazykids
Registered Users
seller

We were talking about this at the LLL meeting. LLL states that Vitamin D supplement is not required. My ped said to expose my kids to about 10 minutes of sunlight without sunscreen and everything will be fine.
threecrazykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoducks View Post
Yes, same reccomendation here from our Pediatrician. Our daught. started the vitamin drops around 2wks old and continued until 1 year old.

It's for breastfed babies and is the standard.
It is absoLUTELY not the standard!

Most pediatricians that are correctly educated in breastfeeding do NOT recommend using vitamins.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecrazykids View Post
We were talking about this at the LLL meeting. LLL states that Vitamin D supplement is not required. My ped said to expose my kids to about 10 minutes of sunlight without sunscreen and everything will be fine.
LOL - I was at my LLL meeting last night, and this exact same question was brought up by a FTM of a 6 week old. And as you stated, supplemental Vitamin D & other vitamins is not needed by breastfed baby (who does not have any special conditions requiring them e.g. prematurity). Breastfeeding itself is "the standard" and everything else is not needed.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote