Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vitamins for baby?

My ped. also suggested this. When I asked her why it was needed she just kind of shrugged and said, "Well, breastmilk just doesn't have enough vit. D." I don't know, my gut just didn't agree with her. As we all know, it's supposed to be the perfect food for our babies. So, I came home and looked it up and came to the same conclusion as most of the mamas here. So now I give it to him if I think about it. Which may be once a week maybe less. Simply because until the past couple weeks we weren't getting outside. But now we are so I care about supplementing even less than what I did before.

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
dollbabysmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have heard this from my ped twice now. She keeps telling me, "The AAP now recommends...." We've decided not to use the vitamins.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #13
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't do it with my kids.

Notice who makes those vitamins?? Yeah, a formula company!!!!!! I swear, they are trying to get you any way they can!

Oh and you can just get just Vitamin D NOT made by a formula company!!! Just google it.

Last edited by WhatWasIThinking; 05-14-2008 at 09:16 PM.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
fussybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Ped. HOUNDS me about this every visit. I actually have my BS is Biology and heard about the studies done with I was taking my Microbiology and Immunology classes. The lack of Vitamin D can cause Rickets but the only people this mildly concerns are dark skinned people and anyone in a cold northern area where you may cover up most of the time. I AM in a northern area and have, so far, kept DD covered because its cold out. I give her 1/2 the recommended dose a few times a week.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
millerbaby07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont think it is but how far north do you live? I live in washington state we have had a lot of rain but when ever there is an ounce of sun Jacobs out in his diaper in the backyard getting 10 minutes or 15 minute rounds of sun so not to burn but get some vitamin d.
I'm a a cloth diapern' breastfeeding, baby wearing waterbirthing mama to Jacob (12/29/07), Emma 12/2/09 & New baby Girl due mid July & loving wife to my navy vet. Johnathan (3/24/07) IHA: Core Values NB NIP ISO: Melon Splash OS
millerbaby07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #16
house-of-boys
Registered Users
Formerly: bsmama
seller

My Mood:

I posted a similar question earlier this week. Read here for some more information!

Audrey
house-of-boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #17
uoducks
Registered Users

It is the standard (tri vi sol vitamins) here in the Portland area. I think because of the lack of sunlight. Every mom I know here has been advised the same thing from their Pediatricians and my Pediatrician is part of Kaiser Permanente Health care who has thousands and thousands of patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
It is absoLUTELY not the standard!

Most pediatricians that are correctly educated in breastfeeding do NOT recommend using vitamins.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #18
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
It is absoLUTELY not the standard!

Most pediatricians that are correctly educated in breastfeeding do NOT recommend using vitamins.
It may not be LLL standard, but it *is* AAP recommended and *that* is the standard that pediatricians follow. That said, as a PNP I am obligated to give the Rx and make the recommendation b/c we follow those guidelines. I am not pushy about it and usually tell my parents not to worry too much about it, just get some sunshine.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #19
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Just an FYI...the AAP also recommends that you keep your child rearfacing to the limit of your carseat.

However, just about every pediatrician out there will tell you to turn your child at the bare minimum of 1 and 20.

So not sure what AAP recommendations and standards have to do with each other.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #20
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The AAP guidelines are the standard we practice by. I certainly can't speak for every ped, but *I* follow those guidelines. I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but in the case of a lawsuit I have to show that I abide by those b/c they are the standard. And FWIW, I DO recommend RF to the limits of the carseat to all my patients. I am knowledgeable of the TN state law in regards to carseats and I do share the minimum requirement but I do tell them the AAP recommendations.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote