Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #21
aboutachild
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vitamins for baby?

There is a great article by the WHO (World Health Organization) here. Sorry it was too big to upload, go down not quite half way, its called Nutrient adequacy of exclusive breastfeeding for the term infant during the first six months of life. This has some great info it basically says that an infant needs minimum two hours per week of sunlight if only the face is exposed, or 30 minutes if the upper and lower extremities are exposed. And also that there is no way to determine the amount of supplemental vitamin D to give because there is no way to measure the amount received by small doses of sunlight.

So what I do, I make sure my DD gets out in the sun based on these recommendations and do not supplement. The way I see it I can either never take my baby out and supplement with vitamins so she doesn't get too much or I can take her shirt off on a nice sunny day for a little bit. It's an easy choice for me.

Advertisement

ISO: Girly ToddlerHawk, Any kind of yarn, A yarn swift, Advocacy Ts in 3T for DD or L/XL for me (BF or CD), PP
aboutachild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #22
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vitamins for baby?

You can also let them sit in front of a window in their bouncy seat or swing and soak in the sunlight for a few minutes each day.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote