Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Medela PISA losing suction?!?

I think my PISA is starting to lose suction. Anyone else have this issue with theirs? I bought it brand new when I was pregnant and have been using it since DD was born (6 months). I've noticed that on full suction the power is just not all there at all. At first I suspected an issue with our bedroom outlets, but the same thing is happening at work now.

DD takes more during the day that I can pump with it working like it should, so I've been burning through my freezer stash like mad. (There's only 26 oz frozen now.)

Right now, I'm pumping 1/2 as much as I usually do so I'm worried. I know formula isn't bad (DS was FF) but I'd REALLY like to make our 1 year goal. I also think my supply is being affected since DD is fussing now more at the breast and they never feel "full" even after sleeping through the night.

What to do, what to do?! If you've had this happen with your pump, what did you do?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
2monkeys
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Medela PISA losing suction?!?

I would suggest taking your pump into a Medela authorized dealer and having it checked out. Perhaps contact Medela and see if there is a place near you that does this service. I had mine checked out-and the service was free.
2monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2monkeys View Post
I would suggest taking your pump into a Medela authorized dealer and having it checked out. Perhaps contact Medela and see if there is a place near you that does this service. I had mine checked out-and the service was free.
No experience myself, but that is what I would do, and then I'd rent a hospital grade pump until you have it back in good working order. That would also help with your supply probably.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Buy new accessories. I've found one of the main reasons a pump can lose suction is those little white shieldy things that hook into the.. yellow.. thing. (I are smrt with teh words)

But if that starts wearing out, it doesn't close the seal properly, and suction will drop by a lot. Another reason might be old tubes not allowing a proper seal or with tiny tears that let some of the suction loose. If the motor still sounds good and strong like always - it's probably the parts.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You probably just need to replace the little white membranes. They degrade and won't lay flat like their supposed to, as time goes on. The pump should have come with a couple extra. If not, go back to where you bought it, and they should sell extras for a couple bucks each.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b'smom View Post
You probably just need to replace the little white membranes. They degrade and won't lay flat like their supposed to, as time goes on. The pump should have come with a couple extra. If not, go back to where you bought it, and they should sell extras for a couple bucks each.
MEMBRANES!

That's the word It was driving me nuts because I knew what I wanted to say, one of those tip of the tongue moments.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
CATeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

make sure the faceplate is pushed all the way on as well
Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Poohb10454
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine did this as well, all I did was replace the membranes and it was good as new again.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto the suggestions already given, particularly about the white membranes.

However, I did have a PIS lose suction. But, it was after a year of use. I pumped one day when I had to be separated from my 3 m/o son for 8 hours. I couldn't get much milk. I ended up getting a plugged duct in my right breast that I struggled with for a couple of months (recurring every few days.) After trying all possible remedies, I stopped nursing on that side and let it dry up. I have nursed uni-boob for over a year though. So, I can tell you be careful if you think it is not working properly.

I took mine to the LC office at the hospital and they used a suction gauge to check it out. Mine was working at less than half the normal suction. Many pump stations that rent hospital grade pumps have those gauges.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

I tried all of this today:
-Snipped 1/2" - 1" off the end of my tubing (where it connects to the pump)
-Made sure the horns were put together tightly (they were)
-Disconnected the tubing and put my finger over the holes to check suction (seemed to be low, but I've never checked that before)
-Took the faceplate off and put it back on to make sure it was on good
-Checked to make sure the membranes were laying flat against the valves (they were)

In Feb. I bought an extra set of horns/valves/membranes so that I wouldn't have to wash every day. So, I'm using fairly new parts in addition to the original ones and I'm having the same issues with both sets.

I called Medela today and went through all of the troubleshooting things I did and their customer service rep was SO nice! I'm faxing my receipt in the morning and they're overnighting me a new motor, thinking this may be the issue.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote