Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
nairtseuqe
Registered Users

Constipated Breastfed Twins

I feel kind of silly asking this, after all, I've Breastfed 3 other babies before the twins, but I've never had this problem.

My twins are 3 months old and completely breastfed. They are happy and growing. The problem is, though, that it has been almost a week since they pooped last. They don't seem distressed, or fussy. They have smelly gas, but no poop. Once thy do go, it's not runny with the cottage cheese that they did when they were first born. It is kind of yellowy orange and a little thicker. Not as thick as peanut butter, but not watery either. They also spit up a lot more than any of my previous children. I figured this was because they each eat on 1 breast (I feed them at the same time) and so they aren't forced to take a break to burp between breasts and just gulp it down.

Is this something I should be concearned about? Am I not drinking enough water? Am I eating something that I shouldn't. Please don't tell me to give up dairy

Advertisement

nairtseuqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
CindyLynn
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Constipated Breastfed Twins

I thought my DD had the same problem, I was actually so worried that i went to a walk in clinic who recommended suppositories. When I went to my family DR. she said that it is very rare for BF babies to be constipated. She said that a baby may go 5 days before pooping. If the twins go beyond 5 days I would talk to your DR.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

I would still call a doc if you are concerned, but bf babies rarely get constipated like the pp said. Breastmilk is made perfect for their little bodies and so sometimes as they get older they will use so much of the bm that there is little waste. Have you been eating anything garlicy lately that would help contribute to the smelly gas??
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As PP said bf babies rarely get constipated-- I would guess as long as they aren't straining and their poop isn't hard then I think it is just the way they are right now. Also I wonder if when you feed them are thye reclining or up right? Could that be causing them to spit up more?

Congrats on nursing twins!!! what a great thing you are doing!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some breastfed babies go up to 14 days without pooping and they're totally normal! It might not be constipation at all. You might just be one lucky Mama who doesn't have to change stinky poops as often as some of us "luckies" who change 4 a DAY.

But, go with your gut and check with your MD if you're concerned. Mommy knows best.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
nairtseuqe
Registered Users

Thank you mamas! You make me feel better. Honestly. I like not having to change so many poopy diapers. I've got a 2 yr old in diapers as well, so the fewer the better. I didn't mention it to the doctor when we were there a few weeks ago simply becuase they didn't seem to be in any pain or anything. I've had a toddler before who really was constipated and there were lots of tears involved. No tears with these little guys, just some very serious looks while they do their business and lots of smiles afterward I remembered that BF babies are better digest more of their food than formula fed babies and that means less waste. I guess if they continue to have lots of wet diapers and aren't fussy I'm not going to worry about it.

As for the spitting up. I hold them football style and nurse them both at the same time (God gave us 2 breasts for a reason right?). Sometimes I'll sit on the bed with the boppy propped up on my knees, while I lean back against a pillow. I suppose they are more upright in that position. Other times I sit cross legged and lean forward to them, so they are laying down then.
nairtseuqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

As other PPs have said, EBF babies very, VERY rarely get constipated...and constipation would be hard, pellet-like poops...not the peanut butter consistency you speak of.

Around 3-4 months old, I know that DD's poops changed to a different consistency from when she was a newborn. A little different color, definitely not that bright yellow....and much smellier. LOL. She also didn't poop as often and had some trouble at first getting it out because it was harder to push out.

But definitely not constipation!

You're doing a great job mama!
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

My LO only goes once every 8 to 10 days!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

my twins could have had the EXACT same post written about them. my doc said 7 days was fine. I still worried so I bought a scale and weighed them every day, just to make sure they were gaining weight appropriately. I hated counting wet diapers so once a day weight checks worked better for me.
One of my girls would go about every 3-4 days, the other 8 days, every time. And they were very stinky, gassy little things too! But they never seemed unhappy or bothered by it, so i finally quit worrying about it. HTH
Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

It's common for breastfed babies to have lengths of several days between bowel movements. My daughter once went like 8 days (when she was EBFing) without a bowel movement. I had someone once explain it that breastmilk is more easily digestible by infants, so there is less "waste" material to be put into the digestive tract. Hope that helps!