Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:
Questions for Delayed/Selective Vaxxing Mamas

We went for my DD's one-month appointment today. Our ped was fine with us not getting the Hep B vaccine at birth and at the one-month appt, but he said very casually, "She'll be getting her two-month vaccines at her next appointment." I was so startled that he said it so matter-of-factly, but I asked for a list and packet about which vaccines she would be scheduled to receive.

Current trends would have her getting Rotavirus, Hib, Polio, and DTaP at her next appointment. I'm currently leaning toward not getting any of the first three, and delaying DTaP. What have you other non-vaxxing or selectively vaxxing mamas done?

Also... How do I tell my pediatrician? He's really, really nice but I don't think he's ever dealt with non-vaxxing families before. We live in a small, Southern town and I get the impression that us earthy-types confuse him. I really don't want CPS getting called and I really don't want to end up feeling pressured into vaxxing by the doc's routine, matter-of-fact attitude. What do y'all think?

Advertisement

MommaBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Questions for Delayed/Selective Vaxxing Mamas

I fully vax but that is my choice.

If you don't want to, just be firm with your ped that you have done your research and you don't want to. Period. Let him know he is welcome to provide you with information but he not welcome to try to pressure you. If he has a problem with that, take your business elsewhere. I think a lot of peds/docs forget that their's is indeed a business and you are a customer.

Check out your state laws if you need backup to make youself more confident.Our state is very clear that we don't have to vax to get our kids in daycare/school.

I have had doctors try to pressure me in to stuff and it just gets my back up.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

we delay and selective vax, i just told the nurse and ped we will be not getting these, i was asked why not and i answered because these are all i want to do at this time and my ped was fine with it.
we only got the dtap and polio, the dtap was one shot and the polio was another.
we chose no hib because of the recall and no roto because i dont feel children need it. we also didnt get the hep B because children do not need a std vaccine imo.
my ds2 has only had these 3 we got at 3 months and hasnt gotten anymore vaxes.
my ds 1 has had them all except varicella.
my dd is due to have redone the vaxes she got before her chemo wiped them out, im not in a big hurry to get them done and her dr's know and are fine with it.
just stand up for yourself, be firm with what you want for your family mama, don't back down if they try to scare you, ask for the pamphlets and read through them and decide on your own what you'd like to give your kids
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DTaP is the one I'd avoid the most. Rotavirus next. HiB (while we don't get it and won't) does actually work very well, and Polio is the least likely to cause a reaction. DTaP is the scariest imo, because it's deadly reaction is normally called "SIDS." At least with MMR the vaccine is normally "blamed" by the parents at least, even if doctors refuse to admit it.

There hasn't been a case of Diphtheria since 2003. Tetanus is absolutely NOT a concern in children. There literally are no cases of healthy normal American kids with Tetanus. The Pertussis vaccine is the incredibly dangerous, and the vaccine least likely to work. The Pertussis rate is enough to prove that. And it's really only dangerous before 6 months anyways (and in elderly). The vaccine's "benefits" don't remotely outweigh it's risks.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Just tell him that she won't be getting the vaccines. My son's ped told me once that he'd "let me" delay vaccinations "this time." Then he sent the nurse in with them anyway! I told the nurse that I'd just told the doctor my son wouldn't be receiving any vaccinations and she said, "The doctor told me to come in and give them anyway." We collected his records and left the practice. There's nothing they can do to force or compel you to vaccinate; if the doctor can't respect your decision then you need to find a new one. Hopefully it won't come to that, though!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
reneeumiami
Registered Users

Just make sure you go in with all your info written down. It can be so confusing once you're at the dr. office and your LO is fussy and the dr. is talking about the vaccine brand names, disease names, nicknames, etc. Make your decisions at home, write down what you want your LO to get or delay, and why.

My ped.'s pretty okay with us selecting/delaying, but we have "the talk" every time. I think she just wants to make sure parents are making educated choices, not just flipping a coin or going with a fad. At DS's 6 mo. last week I finally got her to admit that the only reason they give infants the Hep B, is because they have a better chance of the parents bringing the baby in regularly than a teenager. (Of course if mom's Hep B+, baby needs the vax.) So as long as my DS isn't sleeping around or sharing needles during his playdates we won't worry about that one!

If you're worried about perstasius (whooping cough), you & older members of your family (DH, older sibs, etc.) could get the vax instead to minimize her risk. DH and I got vaxed, since our bodies are much more able to handle the vax than our DS's.

Last edited by reneeumiami; 05-09-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo
reneeumiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Bring in an ingredients list and tell them you're not ready to get those ingredients (listed by the CDC straight from their site) in your TWO month old...low doses and all...no doses of some toxins are safe.

Here is a really good ingrednents list that explains what they are, and reactions to ingredients
http://www.vaccination.inoz.com/ingredie.html

Here is the CDC's ingredients list so no one can argue where you got your info
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...nt-table-2.pdf
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the responses... Here's a bump in case someone else has input!
MommaBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would recommend "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Robert Sears. It just came out at the very end of 2007 and explains all the common vaxes well, reasons to get them or not to get them, and has a suggested delayed vaxing schedule. We started out vaxing on schedule, although we have had reservations since the beginning. We are now switched to a delayed schedule, and plan to follow Dr. Bob's (Sears') delayed schedule with baby #2. I feel like that book can give you a great start, and make sure to read some other books, too, to get their perspective. "The Vaccine Book" is only about $12 - we got it on Amazon and (since we ordered a few other books too) got free shipping.

You are actually in a good place right now if you were to decide NOT to vax at all, since you haven't done any yet. I feel like I am stuck and cannot claim to be "against vaccination" for a religious or philosophical exemption, because we started out giving the vaxes on schedule. I feel like now that we have started vaxing, we will eventually have to "finish" at least all the ones required by our state in order for our ds to attend school in a few more years. Just a thought - I'm mostly just saying I wish there was more leeway in state requirements, etc.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aept View Post
I would recommend "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Robert Sears. It just came out at the very end of 2007 and explains all the common vaxes well, reasons to get them or not to get them, and has a suggested delayed vaxing schedule. We started out vaxing on schedule, although we have had reservations since the beginning. We are now switched to a delayed schedule, and plan to follow Dr. Bob's (Sears') delayed schedule with baby #2. I feel like that book can give you a great start, and make sure to read some other books, too, to get their perspective. "The Vaccine Book" is only about $12 - we got it on Amazon and (since we ordered a few other books too) got free shipping.

You are actually in a good place right now if you were to decide NOT to vax at all, since you haven't done any yet. I feel like I am stuck and cannot claim to be "against vaccination" for a religious or philosophical exemption, because we started out giving the vaxes on schedule. I feel like now that we have started vaxing, we will eventually have to "finish" at least all the ones required by our state in order for our ds to attend school in a few more years. Just a thought - I'm mostly just saying I wish there was more leeway in state requirements, etc.
Mama, you never actually "finish" vaccinations, there are boosters that we all SHOULD be getting as adults and most adults are not current on their vaccines and you still don't see the diseases floating around very much and killing tons of people.

If you used to vaccinate, and you don't feel okay about doing it now, it can be a religious or philosophical reason. What we didn't know when we started vaxing is totally different than now. My lack of previous knowldege vs what I know now helps me know that my reason is religious (I didn't know aborted fetal cells/tissue was in vaxes before now) and I also don't like the other toxins, you can change your mind...it's never too late
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote