Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Another carseat Q - sorry! Looked at some today...

Ok, I posted earlier about moving DD into a convertible carseat and got some really awesome advice and opinions.

I had to make a Target run so I stopped by the carseat aisle and checked out what they had. I had already mostly decided on a Britax Roundabout from the googling I did and opinions given here but when I looked at everything they had, the Roundabout was the least impressive. It was the only one that didn't have the adjustable booster strap for 40-80 lbs of the ones I liked. It also didn't look as big as the others. Yet the price was MUCH higher. Also, they all had the same weight limits on RF and FF except the Britax. It was 2 lbs lighter on the RF limit.

Here are the ones I checked out and thought looked sturdy and durable. All but the Britax had the additional booster strap for older/heavier kiddos.

Eddie Bauer Deluxe model# 22-741GRT $119.99
http://www.target.com/Eddie-Bauer-De...e=1&rh=&page=1

Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 model# 22-758KGS $179.99
http://www.target.com/Eddie-Bauer-De...e=1&rh=&page=1

Safety 1st All-In-One Deluxe model#22-412MOM $149.99
http://www.target.com/Safety-1st-All...ank&rh=&page=1

Britax Roundabout model#E9L02J7 $219.99
http://www.target.com/Britax-Roundab...ank&rh=&page=1

Now, we have $225 max to spend so the Britax isn't out of the question but I know my DH and I know he'll want to spend less if we can still get a great quality carseat. The others just seemed bigger than the RB, too. I really did go in thinking I'd for sure buy the RB tonight but after looking at the others I wanted to do more research.

Does anyone know anything about the others I have mentioned?

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 05-16-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
bama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Another carseat Q - sorry! Looked at some today...

The Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 is the same as the Cosco Alpha Omega. I really like our AO
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can get a Britax Marathon which will harness up to 65lbs, for $209 at albee baby http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-mara...rownstone.html
they also have a pretty mariposa print one for $229.99 and Ithink its only $10 for shipping but they may have free ship promo

trust when I tell you you will have to replace those other seats long before you need to use them as belt positioning booster. They are made of cheap plastic. also you have to start using as BPB at 40 lbs! much safer to use the 5-point as long as possible and with the Marathon you can up to 65

Last edited by MarinesFamily5; 05-16-2008 at 09:26 PM.
MarinesFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
BeckyP
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinesFamily5 View Post
you can get a Britax Marathon which will harness up to 65lbs, for $209 at albee baby http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-mara...rownstone.html
they also have a pretty mariposa print one for $229.99 and Ithink its only $10 for shipping but they may have free ship promo

trust when I tell you you will have to replace those other seats long before you need to use them as belt positioning booster. They are made of cheap plastic. also you have to start using as BPB at 40 lbs! much safer to use the 5-point as long as possible and with the Marathon you can up to 65
Yes Yes Yes get the Marathon. That is what we have and we love it. It will hold the kids until they are 65lbs. Plus when I was looking at the links you provided other customers didn't rate those other seats very well. The roundabout is a good seat but the Marathon will last you much longer.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
calebsmommy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Ditto!! I too hear that albeebaby.com has free shipping and no sales tax...Harnessing up to 65lbs is MUCH safer than the belt positioning option even if you have to spend some extra bucks versus the others...My friends LO is almost 1 year, in an AO Elite and I can already tell that she will outgrow her seat way too fast. The Marathon will give you great longevity and great safety
Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
CMommyof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I agree

excuse my posts if they seem short or have typos
CMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would also suggest the Evenflo Triumph Advance ($149), it has high top slots and will harness to 50lbs (RF to 33 or 35 lbs? Not sure in the US, since it's only 30lbs here in Canada). I own a Marathon, Radian and Triumph Advance and I think the Triumph Advance is my fave. So if you can't get a Marathon, I'd go for the EFTA, definitely over a Roundabout or 3-in-1.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The ones that convert to a booster sound like a great idea in theory, but in reality, they don't work very well. They have shorter top harness slots, as the very top notch cannot be used in harness mode. Most outgrow the harness well before the 40lb limit. They all make very crappy boosters because they are short and they cause the lap belt to ride up really high. So, while it seems like you are getting a great deal, you will end up buying even more seats. The all in one types have been nicknames, "jack of all trades, master of none". The RA is really nice and the harness adjuster is smooth as butter, but it is overpriced for what it is. The Evenflo Triumph Advance is very nice and much better deal. Also, the 209.99 Marathon mentioned by a pp is also a fantastic deal.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I took my carseat saftey class today!

Dont get a 3 in 1, like most of the ones you had listed - as a pp said the slots are too low, so the child will outgrow it in height before weight so there will be a perido of time where they are too big for the 5pt and too small for the booster - and they make bad boosters.

The marathon is a great option if you can do that, or if you want one cheeper, the triumph advance (make sure its advance) is another good one. I have the TrueFit (which is around $179, but you have to order it online) and it is a great seat.
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote