Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mama's I need your help!! Big time

OK..... I recently purchased a whole bunch of Beccabottoms AI2's because I love them, I mean really love them. They are trim and they are pretty absorbant AI2 with a great snake hemp soaker. We are talking $400 worth so you can sense my panic... I had three which I had been using for a good month with no problems. I get my custom order last week and suddenly my 14 week old daughter is becoming a super soaker and I am panicked.
She is soaking right through them or leaking. I am not sure which. I am getting wicking specifically around the side. If you aren't familiar with these diapers they are a side snapping but they have a huge range of snaps ( I think 5) and she is on the second tightest snap for legs and stomach so we have to make sure we tuck in the excess flap which I do. Now the insert is wet (not dripping but it is wet) and each time her clothes are wet I notice it is on the side and the tabs of the diaper are wet too.... Why would the tabs be wet??
This is happening on my new diapers I just got as well as the ones I have been using for a month or more so I don't think it is a hemp prepping issue(washed them on hot 5 times before the first use). I also don't think it is a laundry issue because the inserts are wet...

Now..... there have been a couple times that I have gone to change her after she ate over an hour ago and I noticed she was DRY which is not like her at all.... she used to pee like 2-3 times after each nursing session. This has just started happening. So, I kind of think she has started holding it in and then let's it all go and the hemp can't absorb it quick enough. I am not sure but I sense that might be happening.

I also notice the leaking/wicking when she is lying down. I am not sure if this matters or not.....
So, if she is a super soaker and I can't put Microfiber against dd's skin how do I salvage these diapers and make them work for me? Please?? Anyone?? I am worried DH might threaten the D word if I have to sell them because they aren't working for us and I really don't want to sell them mamas.

What do you think I am doing wrong? Please help. I have changed my DD's sheets for each nap tonight. I am going crazy!!!

Advertisement

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Re: Mama's I need your help!! Big time

Add a joey bunz. I was doing that during DS heaviest wetting periods too. Even now, AI2's are not enough for us at night so you may want to use them for daytime only and something more absorbant for nighttime.
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

You could try putting a fleece liner in there so that it draws the moisture through to the hemp. I am sure some other mamas will be able to help you out more than me!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

these are microfleeced/or microsuede topped inserts and I only use them for day time (we use pockets at night) and the times she has leaked through them she has only been in like an hour??

Old 09-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Where do you put the tabs when you snap them? Do you put them under the snap in soaker, against her skin or on top of it, against the diaper? KIWM? If you put it under them, then the wetness may be travelling out the tab and on to her clothes. What kind of snap in soakers are they?

What kind of clothes are you putting over these? Are the onesie type shirts or outfits that snap in the crotch? It could be that if they're tight, the fabric of the clothes is creeping it's way into the leg gussets and soaking up that pee. Make sure whatever she has on is roomy and not tight in the crotch against the diaper.

I'd email Charis and ask her for some other ideas. That would freak me out, too! Good Luck!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The excess tabs are tucked into the diaper but not under the soaker so it would be against her skin.
Sometimes she is in a onesie but I only snap one snap.....

Old 09-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

OK, that could be the problem then. Put the tabs in the diaper, but under the soaker, so against the "shell" of the diaper, does that make sense? Between the inner of the diaper and the soaker. That should help. The tabs don't have any absorbant material on them, just the inner fabric sewn on them, kwim? I have a couple of those dipes and I love them, so I know what you mean! I hope that helps you! It may not have been a problem before because, like you said, she has recently become a super soaker. And they do that. They "hold" it and then do a big flood. My son does that too. Usually in the morning, so I have to make sure whatever dipe I put him in first thing in the morning is an absorbant dipe!
Old 09-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tara, good suggestion on the tabs I will try that. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Let me know if that helps! I hope it does! ((HUGS))
Old 09-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

This may be a really stupid question, but did you prep the hemp well? I've found that hemp needs to be washed a bazillion times before reaching its maximum absorbancy.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote