Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm about to give up

I have been determined to breastfeed before I gave birth. After not receiving adequate support at the hospital, I sought the advice of a lactation consultant. She confirmed that the trouble with him not wanting to latch on was that I had flat nipples. She let me use a nipple shield, which worked great, but hurt very much. The lactation consultant then said that he was not extending his tongue enough and that he was pinching my nipple, which caused the pain. She advised that I let him suck my finger to teach him to extend his tongue. Both my husband and I have been trying to teach him by following her advice, but we are not very successful. He is still hurting me a lot when I latch him on. I am pumping every 3 hours, even through the night, while substituting with formula, but it's wearing me out to do both. I am ready to give up, I am so worn out.

Any advice or suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm about to give up

Ok, bear with me. What is the most immediate problem? Is he not gaining weight? Not wanting to latch on and eat at the breast? Or is it pain on your part?

I have you had him evaluated for tongue-tie? And is the lactation consultant you're seeing an IBCLC? If she's not, you need to find one who is and see her. If she is, please try and find a different one.
Flat nipples are not a reason to be unable to breastfeed. Many women with flat nipples(like myself) are able to breastfeed. Actually, one of mine is flat and one is inverted, but that's not the point here

Nipple shields can be a useful tool, but they're not for everyone. For us, they may have helped my pain problem. But they could have negatively effected my already questionable supply, and they would have made nursing more complicated when it came to overnights and nursing in public.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for responding so quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
Ok, bear with me. What is the most immediate problem? Is he not gaining weight? Not wanting to latch on and eat at the breast? Or is it pain on your part?
His weight is fine and his health seems to be fine, too (according to his last checkup a couple of days ago). He is dealing with some tummy issues, but I am sure they will pass. My most immediate problem is that I am worn out (haha, isn't every new mom?) and I don't seem to be able to function on only a couple hours of sleep. Between his upset stomach (constipation, flatulence), feeding him (hypoallergenic) formula, and pumping, I hardly get any sleep or rest at all. I have started to give him very weak fennel tea and some gripe water, which does seem to help some. I just don't know if I can keep feeding him formula and trying to pump and trying to get him to feed without hurting me for much longer. It seems that I need to make a decision one or the other way. Even if I can stand the pain and try to start breastfeeding him exclusively, I am not sure if I am making enough milk for him. I only get about 3/4 ounce each time I pump.

Quote:
I have you had him evaluated for tongue-tie? And is the lactation consultant you're seeing an IBCLC? If she's not, you need to find one who is and see her. If she is, please try and find a different one.
Yes, they evaluated him for tongue-tie and they said that wasn't the issue. The lactation consultant is supposedly the best in the state and she is also certified.

Quote:
Nipple shields can be a useful tool, but they're not for everyone. For us, they may have helped my pain problem. But they could have negatively effected my already questionable supply, and they would have made nursing more complicated when it came to overnights and nursing in public.
I was actually pretty excited about the nipple shields, as they seem to work with him very well - but still the pain problems...
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's been 10 weeks for us and it still hurts me. Keep working on his latch. It will get better. I would quit the pumping (if you can) and just work on nursing. It'll help with your exhaustion. Sometimes I talk to an LC daily...do what you need to do and get lots of support.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
momto4and1
Registered Users
Formerly: momtomy4girls
seller

I have not had this problem, but I wanted to say try and hand in there. I have heard others rave about the Nipple shields. Are you able to pump? Both a friend and my SIL pumped exculsively for about 6+ months.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
It's been 10 weeks for us and it still hurts me. Keep working on his latch. It will get better. I would quit the pumping (if you can) and just work on nursing. It'll help with your exhaustion. Sometimes I talk to an LC daily...do what you need to do and get lots of support.
You guys are just so much tougher than I am. Maybe it's my inability to deal with the sleep deprivation. I have never done well on little sleep - it makes me so depressed.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenjafour View Post
You guys are just so much tougher than I am. Maybe it's my inability to deal with the sleep deprivation. I have never done well on little sleep - it makes me so depressed.
No- YOU CAN DO IT TOO. It will pass. You've got to take it one day at a time, one feeding at a time. It may surprise you how fast it gets better. With each feeding that hurts, or each bad day, I tell myself, "We've been here before and it WILL get better. Tomorrow won't hurt so bad." And it usually doesn't. Babes are quick learners.
Cautiously expecting #5
Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtomy4girls View Post
I have not had this problem, but I wanted to say try and hand in there. I have heard others rave about the Nipple shields. Are you able to pump? Both a friend and my SIL pumped exculsively for about 6+ months.
Thank you for your support. I was thinking about pumping exclusively myself, but I would still have to substitute with formula, because I am not making more than 3/4 oz per pumping session (and I try to pump about 8 times a day).
Old 05-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
No- YOU CAN DO IT TOO. It will pass. You've got to take it one day at a time, one feeding at a time. It may surprise you how fast it gets better. With each feeding that hurts, or each bad day, I tell myself, "We've been here before and it WILL get better. Tomorrow won't hurt so bad." And it usually doesn't. Babes are quick learners.
I will try and keep my sanity. If things don't get better, I guess I'll have to have a formula baby (I really don't want to), but at least I could concentrate on one style of feeding while dealing with his upset stomach problems, etc.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenjafour View Post
I will try and keep my sanity. If things don't get better, I guess I'll have to have a formula baby (I really don't want to), but at least I could concentrate on one style of feeding while dealing with his upset stomach problems, etc.
Are you pumping because it hurts? Why are you doing the pumping instead of nursing? I have flat nipples too and sometimes he pinches (used to all the time), but it's not solved with pumping. Pumping and bottle feeding is going to make you ultra exhausted. Take your baby to bed, lay down, sleep when he sleeps and nurse when he wants. Don't get up until tomorrow. That's the best way to increase your supply. It may mean that your baby is attached to you for 24 hours, but try to look at it like, "It's just one day out of a whole lifetime."

Remember your baby is only a week old- maybe he doesn't need more than 3/4 of an ounce each time. Your body should make what he needs, but your supply probably won't increase if you don't nurse. There are also other ways to increase your supply like herbs or medicines, but nursing is the most sure way.

His stomach problems MAY be caused by the formula you've already given him? Or possibly something you ate, but don't always assume it's breastmilk- your breastmilk is made just for him- it's perfect. Hang in there.
Cautiously expecting #5