Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #11
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: I'm about to give up

I can totally relate to what you are saying & feeling Verena! I was just coming to post this very question/statement.

DS is a week old today. The hospital decided that he needed formula because he was born with low blood sugar. He was taking away right after birth to be given an IV to help with it. He was gone all day long. I wasn't given a pump or anything, so I didn't pump during that time. When he got to come back to our room, he tried to suck/latch on. At first it didn't work, but he eventually got the hang of it. He would and still does keep the tongue at the roof of the mouth and makes it almost impossible to get a nipple of any kind in there. He 'latches on", but ONLY to my nipple and refuses to go any higher or take any more of the breast in his mouth. The hospital had him on 2 ozs of formula per feeding and my supply wasn't even making any yet. He now drinks 3 ozs of formula per feeding, but I only make about the amount that you do and sometimes even less. {That is mixing BOTH pumped milk from BOTH breasts}.
I worked on pumping every two hours and increasing the pumping to 30 minutes every time. Yesterday, my pumping sessions produced LESS and LESS milk! I just had to cry as I had been up ALL night pumping and taking care of the babies. I am so tired and cranky... I just want sleep. I almost just gave up, but the frustration of doing ALL of this work only to not be able to breastfeed is almost more than I can take. I am trying to hang in there. This morning I woke up and actually debated for about 30 minutes if I would even bother pumping since I wasn't getting much, if any, out anyway. {I had several sessions yesterday where I didn't get anything but some drops out}. Anyway.. I went ahead and pumped and I was so RELEIVED to see that I actually made a whole oz of breastmilk! I know that Egan drinks 3ozs per feeding, but the knowledge that I AM making more milk is so great!

Hang in there mama!! Hopefully soon both of us will be easily making enough milk and EBF our little ones!

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
Are you pumping because it hurts? Why are you doing the pumping instead of nursing? I have flat nipples too and sometimes he pinches (used to all the time), but it's not solved with pumping. Pumping and bottle feeding is going to make you ultra exhausted. Take your baby to bed, lay down, sleep when he sleeps and nurse when he wants. Don't get up until tomorrow. That's the best way to increase your supply. It may mean that your baby is attached to you for 24 hours, but try to look at it like, "It's just one day out of a whole lifetime."

Remember your baby is only a week old- maybe he doesn't need more than 3/4 of an ounce each time. Your body should make what he needs, but your supply probably won't increase if you don't nurse. There are also other ways to increase your supply like herbs or medicines, but nursing is the most sure way.

His stomach problems MAY be caused by the formula you've already given him? Or possibly something you ate, but don't always assume it's breastmilk- your breastmilk is made just for him- it's perfect. Hang in there.
The lactation consultant advised that I pump instead of nursing because of the pain. She said that it may work better to teach him to suckle properly first and then trying to latch on again. But you are right. Pumping and bottle-feeding IS making me totally exhausted - I just can't take it anymore. I will really work on breastfeeding today and see if it still hurts as much. I am giving him about 2.5 oz with each feeding (in formula) and that seems to barely cover his appetite... that's why I am worried he won't get enough food from me. But maybe my supply will increase when I nurse more. I will give it another shot. Thanks again for your support!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #13
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama View Post
I can totally relate to what you are saying & feeling Verena! I was just coming to post this very question/statement.

DS is a week old today. The hospital decided that he needed formula because he was born with low blood sugar. He was taking away right after birth to be given an IV to help with it. He was gone all day long. I wasn't given a pump or anything, so I didn't pump during that time. When he got to come back to our room, he tried to suck/latch on. At first it didn't work, but he eventually got the hang of it. He would and still does keep the tongue at the roof of the mouth and makes it almost impossible to get a nipple of any kind in there. He 'latches on", but ONLY to my nipple and refuses to go any higher or take any more of the breast in his mouth. The hospital had him on 2 ozs of formula per feeding and my supply wasn't even making any yet. He now drinks 3 ozs of formula per feeding, but I only make about the amount that you do and sometimes even less. {That is mixing BOTH pumped milk from BOTH breasts}.
I worked on pumping every two hours and increasing the pumping to 30 minutes every time. Yesterday, my pumping sessions produced LESS and LESS milk! I just had to cry as I had been up ALL night pumping and taking care of the babies. I am so tired and cranky... I just want sleep. I almost just gave up, but the frustration of doing ALL of this work only to not be able to breastfeed is almost more than I can take. I am trying to hang in there. This morning I woke up and actually debated for about 30 minutes if I would even bother pumping since I wasn't getting much, if any, out anyway. {I had several sessions yesterday where I didn't get anything but some drops out}. Anyway.. I went ahead and pumped and I was so RELEIVED to see that I actually made a whole oz of breastmilk! I know that Egan drinks 3ozs per feeding, but the knowledge that I AM making more milk is so great!

Hang in there mama!! Hopefully soon both of us will be easily making enough milk and EBF our little ones!
Wow, you are describing almost exactly the same problems I am having. Only I don't pump as often as you do (I just can't!) I have made up to 1 oz of breastmilk at a time (that is putting the milk from both breasts together). I seem to make less at night and more during the day, but still not a whole lot. I will keep trying, though. Good luck to you, too and keep me posted on your progress!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenjafour View Post
The lactation consultant advised that I pump instead of nursing because of the pain. She said that it may work better to teach him to suckle properly first and then trying to latch on again. But you are right. Pumping and bottle-feeding IS making me totally exhausted - I just can't take it anymore. I will really work on breastfeeding today and see if it still hurts as much. I am giving him about 2.5 oz with each feeding (in formula) and that seems to barely cover his appetite... that's why I am worried he won't get enough food from me. But maybe my supply will increase when I nurse more. I will give it another shot. Thanks again for your support!
I completely disagree with pumping because latch hurts. LATCH IS SUPPOSED TO HURT! IT hurts for at least a week or two even if everything is perfect. IT JUST DOES! Especially if it's your first baby. It's only going to get WORSE if you teach him that taking a bottle is the best and easiest. I'm sorry it hurts- I'm even more sorry that I still hurt at 10 weeks. But if you wean him now after only one week, you're going to regret it. Just nurse. Nurse through the pain. Take some ibuprofen and go take that baby and NURSE! You can do it mama!!!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I completely disagree with pumping because latch hurts. LATCH IS SUPPOSED TO HURT! IT hurts for at least a week or two even if everything is perfect. IT JUST DOES! Especially if it's your first baby. It's only going to get WORSE if you teach him that taking a bottle is the best and easiest. I'm sorry it hurts- I'm even more sorry that I still hurt at 10 weeks. But if you wean him now after only one week, you're going to regret it. Just nurse. Nurse through the pain. Take some ibuprofen and go take that baby and NURSE! You can do it mama!!!
OK, I am going to try - I will. I am scared to death of having to do this every other hour, but I will give it another try. I so want to be strong and do this, but it's rough.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #16
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Absofriggenlutely!!!!!!!! The ONLY way to get over the hurt of latching on is to do it! it DOES get better!

Plus momma, 2.5 ounces seems like ALOT for a week old baby! My 18 weeker still only takes 3 ounces of bm at a time (when I'm at work)!

WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU!!!!!!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
millerbaby07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its well worth it mama. You sound like a new mama I met at my last LLL meeting here is a link to go find the local LLL chapter near you those moms are great help. We are helping well they are helping two moms right now come off nipple sheilds. http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html good luck mama and drop the formula
I'm a a cloth diapern' breastfeeding, baby wearing waterbirthing mama to Jacob (12/29/07), Emma 12/2/09 & New baby Girl due mid July & loving wife to my navy vet. Johnathan (3/24/07) IHA: Core Values NB NIP ISO: Melon Splash OS
millerbaby07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #18
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenjafour View Post
OK, I am going to try - I will. I am scared to death of having to do this every other hour, but I will give it another try. I so want to be strong and do this, but it's rough.
It is rough momma but do NOT doubt your body! It was made to breastfeed!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I will try again and see how it goes. I think he'll wake up in a few minutes, it's been almost 3 hours since I last fed him. I'll grab my nipple shield and my nursing pillow and try again.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #20
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

I thought I'd share one of my stoires with you momma! I had to be put to sleep with my csection and before I had even left the OR the nurses had fed my LO a bottle of formula because they said he *needed* it! I was so PO'd!!!! He would not latch on right and I had to use a breast sheild (severly flat nipples coupled with nipple confusion).

When he was about 1 1/2 weeks old my dog chewed my nipple shield up!!!! I cryed so hard because I couldn't get another one until the next day!!! You know what? I was determined that my baby wouldn't get formula so LO and I camped out on the couch with tons of pillows and many tears later we got it! He was latching on without the breastshield!!!! It did hurt for many weeks after that because of his mouth being too small but I am so glad i was so determined! You will be too!