Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #21
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm about to give up

You can do it, YOU can nurse your baby. The La LEche League is a wonderful resource. SO check that out, also hang in there. It gets better! SOme of us have harder times, then others and the reward of working through tit is so worth it. Bring baby to bed with you at night might help with the exahustion because you can cuddle and nurse throughout the night.

YOU said it had been 3 hours since the last feed. I would wake him if he goes much longer then 3 hours during the day and feed, because you guys need to get your suplly going. I also 2nd the stopping of formula, that is your gas and constipation issues.

Hang in there, you can make this work. Says a mommy who has nursed forver!

Ok, not really forever but total with 5 kids 71 months. You can do it! Trust your body!

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #22
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You know, my guy always nurses every 2 hours, sometimes every hour (every 3 is a rarity except at night) it's just the way bf babies are. It's rough sometimes when you want to go somewhere or do something...but I feel that it's worth it.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #23
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your story - I am so glad it worked out for you. I just went through over an hour of breast feeding only to end up with him crying his little heart out because he's still hungry and me close to crying because my nipples hurt so badly. If he doesn't learn how to extend his tongue and not pinch my nipple so hard, I don't know if I can handle breastfeeding.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #24
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
I also 2nd the stopping of formula, that is your gas and constipation issues.
Not necessarily, my EBF little girl had tummy issues the first 2 1/2 months.

Quote:
Thank you for your story - I am so glad it worked out for you. I just went through over an hour of breast feeding only to end up with him crying his little heart out because he's still hungry and me close to crying because my nipples hurt so badly. If he doesn't learn how to extend his tongue and not pinch my nipple so hard, I don't know if I can handle breastfeeding.
My heart bleeds for you, I so know where you're coming from. My nipples really hurt for about two months, and my girl would nurse for an hour at a time, every time. I did cry through several feedings a day. We went through a period of low-supply where I was just flat miserable. I even got sick in the middle of it and puked all night. I was completely dehydrated and had this little 6 week old baby demanding more milk. We pulled through.

If you're formula feeding and pumping to try to trick your breasts into thinking your LO is still nursing, that just isn't going to work. If you're exclusively bfing and pumping extra between feedings, that is more likely to help. Unless you're ready to give up bfing, formula is not the answer to your problems. Do like the other person said and find a comfy spot and hold a nursing marathon. I still find that my nipples hurt more when a breast is running on empty. It's like dd is pinching and squeezing trying to get one more drop out. Get your supply up and SOME of the pain should lessen.

I really am sorry it hurts so much. I truly understand. But as your baby grows and gets a better latch, it WILL get better. You two can make it through this if you're really committed.
edens_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #25
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Without having read any other responses, he is still VERY young. And, truthfully breastfeeding is really not an easy thing to master. BUT - he WILL get it. It WILL stop hurting. And, soon it will just be 2nd nature.

I was soooooo ready to give up as well. I wanted to. But, thankfully my husband would not let me. He helped me latch her on when I was having trouble.

Get in contact with your local LLL group - they will help you tremendously.

It does get easier. I promise!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #26
spiritbear_momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

hang in mama!!! sleep when you can,,agree PP's you rsupply will pick up when he needs it,,and his latch will improve as he learns too,,breast is best!! supply and demand,,so more he nurses more milk you make,,,as for sore nipple lansinoh lanolin helped me big time with sore nipples when I nursed my twins,,and warm cloth on breast before feeds to help let down come faster.
So keep on BFing,,,it is all worth the speed bumps after a few weeks these awful sleep deprived days are worth it,,,let everyhtin else go,,laundry dishes can all be caught up later,,right now is about you baby and DH learning about each other you are giving your baby the best food ,,,your breastmilk
spiritbear_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #27
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenjafour View Post
been there done that mama- and you CAN. Reach deep inside yourself and keep saying- it WILL get better it WILL get better. But if you don't do it, it won't. After giving bottles for so long his tummy is probably stretched out and he thinks he doesn't have enough food in it when he does. Watch the wets and poops to make sure he's getting plenty. If he's still hungry nurse some more. Your body will catch up to what he wants. I did a marathon one day from 12 -8:30 with maybe an hour break in there. It sucked, but the next day my supply seemed much more satisfying to him. Keep it up!
Cautiously expecting #5
Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #28
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, after I breast fed him for an hour, I went to pump also and made 2.5 ounces!!! I can't believe I made that much milk (it's probably not much compared to what some of you make, but for me it's a breakthrough). I wonder if it's because I nursed him for an hour, even though he didn't seem to get very much...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenjafour View Post
Well, after I breast fed him for an hour, I went to pump also and made 2.5 ounces!!! I can't believe I made that much milk (it's probably not much compared to what some of you make, but for me it's a breakthrough). I wonder if it's because I nursed him for an hour, even though he didn't seem to get very much...
See mama! You can!
Cautiously expecting #5
Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #30
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I can make that much milk, I am tempted to just pump LOL. At least it doesn't hurt as badly. I just wish I could figure out how to make him stick out his tongue more - I know that would help with the pain.