Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
argecash
Registered Users

Posterior Tongue-Tie

Has anyone else dealt with this? About a month ago our lactation consultant told us DS has this problem. Our ped. said there is nothing wrong with him. We decided to just wait it out and see how he would do without having the procedure to correct the tongue-tie. Well, I decided I would like to go ahead and see the ENT about it but there aren't many in our city who deal with posterior tongue-tie and I am on a cancellation list because the doctor is all booked up. Our LC told me 13 of her clients have had to go to New York to have the procedure, which is about 1000 miles away. Has anyone else dealt with this? I am told it is not a well understood condition and many docs don't recognize it. DS is gaining weight but ped. says he is still too thin.

Advertisement

argecash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
mkekaty
Registered Users
seller

Re: Posterior Tongue-Tie

My son has it as well. I have heard that there is a 50% chance of a speech impediment if it's clipped, so we're waiting to see how nursing goes.
mkekaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
argecash
Registered Users

Wow! I had not heard that. Where did you find out that information? Nursing has been challenging for me so far. My nipples are still sore and now we're not sure that he's getting enough hindmilk as his poop is green. I just started really compressing my breasts at every feeding and he seems to be emptying the breasts much better. We'll see how it goes. How many weeks if your LO?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
mommyofmany
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My lo was tongue tied. When he was a few days old I went to see a LC and she told me he was. His ped never mentioned it. My LC told me that if it was affecting his latch that it could affect my milk supply. I didn't want to wait and find out if it would so we had his clipped at 9 days old. His ent said it was a pretty good tongue tie and I was lucky that I didn't have any nipple problems nor did he have any weight gain problems. We had it clipped because after reseraching it and talking to two different LC's we felt it was better to do it young then to wait. Our ped said it was fine to wait,but if I was concerned to go ahead. It was a quick procedure and he nursed right after.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
hgreenm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Get it clipped. DD has it and we didn't find out until she was older (5mos) she had green poop, I had sore nipples...by the time we got the military doctors to agree they wouldn't do the procedure without anesthesia. With DS we checked at birth the ped on duty wouldn't agree that he had it. We saw our dr, she referred us to the local ENT and we talked fast and had him clipped then and there at four days old. He had never actually done the procedure on someone so young and had only done two other procedures. We nursed after the procedure and I could immediately tell a difference. My DD is 2 and still nursing and it still hurts every time. I don't know where you live, but we are outside of Baltimore and go through Johns Hopkins. Just for reference if you want to shop around outside of your insurance. Insurance was billed 747.99 for the surgery and office visit, but only paid 338.23. Don't know who paid the rest...guess the government only pays what they want.

Good luck and get to snipping!
hgreenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

A few questions:
how old is your DS? how long does he nurse at each breast per session? what does your nipple look like after nursing? are his lips flared around your nipple? can you see his tongue while he is latched on? is there more of your areola showing above his top lip than below his bottom lip? what percentile is he in- height and weight- and has he been in that percentile his whole life? what have his weight/height/ages been?

all three of my kids are tongue-tied, as was my DH. Only my DS has had to have his tongue clipped and that was because it didn't stretch and was interfereing with speech- none of my kids had a breastfeeding problem due to their tongue tie and in fact, breast feeding can aid in the frenulum stretching.

Most times the frenulum will stretch on its own. Perhaps your DS isn't getting enough hindmilk for another reason...hence the questions at the beginning of my post. I will be back to post some more thoughts after I hear your answers
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
kerryannkeegan
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkekaty View Post
My son has it as well. I have heard that there is a 50% chance of a speech impediment if it's clipped, so we're waiting to see how nursing goes.
Is the risk of speech problem if it is clipped or if it is not clipped????
kerryannkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
kerryannkeegan
Registered Users

My 1st LO had one we had it clipped by dr Coryllos (the one in NY) and she was still not able to nurse. My son now has one as well and nurses very poorly. (nipples compressed, slides my nipple in and out of his mouth, poor latch) We had his clipped and again it did not make a difference. However, I was just told it looks like he still has a tongue tie. So we are going for another evaluation on Monday. I am sure if you called Dr Coryllos she would tell you if there are any trained people in your area.
good luck
kerryannkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
argecash
Registered Users

UPDATE:

We went to the ped. yesterday for a follow up after an appt. we had on Monday and he had actually lost 2 oz. This freaked out our ped. so we were at the hospital all day getting tests done. What we found out is that nothing is wrong with him other than the weight issue. All they could think to say was that he must have latch issues that keep him from getting what he needs. The green poo is still here. They told me I either need to supplement with breastmilk or formula. I am so upset and confused as to what I should do. I am so depressed. I am going to call the only doc. in the area who deals with posterior ties and beg them to see me on Monday.

how old is your DS? almost 7 weeks
how long does he nurse at each breast per session? about 25 min.
what does your nipple look like after nursing? like a new lipstick
are his lips flared around your nipple? yes, as much as possible but he often slides out of his good latch
can you see his tongue while he is latched on? yes
is there more of your areola showing above his top lip than below his bottom lip? yes
what percentile is he in- height and weight- and has he been in that percentile his whole life? he was very large when he was born now he is under the 50th percentile
what have his weight/height/ages been? he was born at 9.6 lb., initially he went down to 8.10, back up to 9.13 at one month appt., now he's at 10.2
Old 05-18-2008, 03:01 AM   #10
kaj6604
Registered Users

My son and my daughter were both tongue-tied...as well as my husband. My son who is now 2 years old had it pretty bad. His was clipped as much as it could be at 2 weeks old. It was clipped enough to help his latch and help my soreness. I took him to an ENT to get it done. I questioned that it was not clipped enough, b/c his tongue was still heart shaped and he couldn't touch the roof of his mouth. Well, 2 years later, he had it clipped again 3 weeks ago under general anesthesia b/c he was starting to have speech problems. He was haveing problems communicating which turned into major tantrums. If there is no ENT Dr. in your area to do it, check with a pediatric surgeon. For this last procedure, I had a pediatric surgeon do the clipping. The Dr. Said that my son's is was pretty significant and he ended up with 2 sticthes afterwards. It needed clipped very close to his salivary glands. Now all is well, and he'll be able to touch the roof of his mouth for speech needs!

Now, my daughter who is now 13 weeks old had hers clipped at 3 weeks old. Again, enough to aid in her latch. However I had the pediatric surgeon look at her and he said I would most likely be back with her in a few years also. Her's is just as bad as my son's and they already clipped as much as they can as an infant. She may not need it clipped in the future if she doesn't have speech problems. However, I'm not betting on it.

This condition can be hereditary. So, unfortunately my kids got it from my husband! Hope all gets better for you!
kaj6604 is offline   Reply With Quote