Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
Kinga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Posterior Tongue-Tie

Wow, I'm glad I came across this. Our LC also made a comment about baby boy...our girls never seemed to have an issue. I asked our dr about it and he isn't concerned but I wasn't able to find much info anywhere.
They basically told me that as long as it's not hurting me (latch wise) and he is gaining then they'll wait to see if there is a speech problem.
So far, he is gaining, but he doesn't feed great..he loses the breast often, since his tongue slips.I can't get my dr to do anything, so I may go back to the LC and see if there is someone else I can see.

thanks for the info mamas!

Advertisement

Kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #12
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by argecash View Post
UPDATE:

We went to the ped. yesterday for a follow up after an appt. we had on Monday and he had actually lost 2 oz. This freaked out our ped. so we were at the hospital all day getting tests done. What we found out is that nothing is wrong with him other than the weight issue. All they could think to say was that he must have latch issues that keep him from getting what he needs. The green poo is still here. They told me I either need to supplement with breastmilk or formula. I am so upset and confused as to what I should do. I am so depressed. I am going to call the only doc. in the area who deals with posterior ties and beg them to see me on Monday.

how old is your DS? almost 7 weeks
how long does he nurse at each breast per session? about 25 min.
what does your nipple look like after nursing? like a new lipstick
are his lips flared around your nipple? yes, as much as possible but he often slides out of his good latch
can you see his tongue while he is latched on? yes
is there more of your areola showing above his top lip than below his bottom lip? yes
what percentile is he in- height and weight- and has he been in that percentile his whole life? he was very large when he was born now he is under the 50th percentile
what have his weight/height/ages been? he was born at 9.6 lb., initially he went down to 8.10, back up to 9.13 at one month appt., now he's at 10.2
If he's nursing 25minutes per breast then he should be getting hindmilk. I think his latch sounds good. Do you find he "slides out of his good latch" more at the beginning of a session? I'm wondering if maybe you have overactive letdown that causes him to have trouble with latch at the beginning. Have you tried the sandwich technique to get more of the nipple in his mouth at a session? If I were you I would contact the doc you are planning on contacting but in the meantime I would suggest the following: if you are going to supplement look into lact-aid or a homemade SNS to use; try the sandwich technique to correct his latch/help his latch; nurse on one breast instead of switching sides for a period of 2 hrs, then switch to the other side. For example- if he wants to nurse at 8 am, nurse on the right side- then if he wants to nurse at 9, still use the right breast. Continue this for as much as he wants to nurse until 10am- then switch to the left breast from 10-12. This may make a difference in his stools and weight gain by getting him more hindmilk. Also, invest in a scale so you can track his weight. He should gain 1/2-1 ounce per day. You can also weigh him before and after a session to see how much milk he is getting. If he is getting an adequate amount of milk then you will know it's that he's not getting enough hindmilk but he is nursing OK, if he's not getting much milk you will know it's a latch issue.
:hug: Good luck Mama! Hang in there!
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
Willow's_lilmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had this, they just clipped it in the hospital when he was 2 days old. No problem
Old 05-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
argecash
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaneen View Post
If he's nursing 25minutes per breast then he should be getting hindmilk. I think his latch sounds good. Do you find he "slides out of his good latch" more at the beginning of a session? I'm wondering if maybe you have overactive letdown that causes him to have trouble with latch at the beginning. Have you tried the sandwich technique to get more of the nipple in his mouth at a session? If I were you I would contact the doc you are planning on contacting but in the meantime I would suggest the following: if you are going to supplement look into lact-aid or a homemade SNS to use; try the sandwich technique to correct his latch/help his latch; nurse on one breast instead of switching sides for a period of 2 hrs, then switch to the other side. For example- if he wants to nurse at 8 am, nurse on the right side- then if he wants to nurse at 9, still use the right breast. Continue this for as much as he wants to nurse until 10am- then switch to the left breast from 10-12. This may make a difference in his stools and weight gain by getting him more hindmilk. Also, invest in a scale so you can track his weight. He should gain 1/2-1 ounce per day. You can also weigh him before and after a session to see how much milk he is getting. If he is getting an adequate amount of milk then you will know it's that he's not getting enough hindmilk but he is nursing OK, if he's not getting much milk you will know it's a latch issue.
:hug: Good luck Mama! Hang in there!
Thanks for the advice! We have rented a scale but I'm not sure how much he should be getting at each session. So far he is getting more milk on the morning than at night. I guess that is because it builds up more over night and is emptied during the day. Is that right?

I have been feeding him on one side, but if he looses interest and my breast feels really soft I'll switch him to the other side if he still wants to eat. If I do switch sides I start on the side I switched to at the next session.

I will pay attention to when he comes off his latch. I think it is early but I will check.
argecash is offline   Reply With Quote