Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #21
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kind of a silly question but I thought I would ask:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazdodge View Post
With all that said, I have to say the following, which may get me flamed, but that's OK. I lead a weight-loss support group in my town, so I have seen a lot. And I myself am still in the process of losing a lot of weight, I have 49 lbs to go to reach my goal weight of 150. So I am not a stranger to the real issues of losing weight.

But honestly, when I see a lot of people who say they couldn't lose weight or gained weight while breastfeeding, I have to. I think that a lot of people just don't keep track of how much they eat and fall prey to the "eating for two" kind of mentality that some people have while pregnant. A lot of people also get into the habit of "mindless eating" and can consume a lot more calories than they mean to, which makes it awful hard to lose weight. I hear so many excuses from ladies who just need to start being accountable for what is really going on and own up to the fact that they are overweight/weigh more than they want to because they eat more than calories than their body requires. Yes, I know that it is said that if you are nursing you need to eat more calories, but when you are nursing your body will make milk first and give nutrition to your body second. So in my (very humble) opinion, as long as your nutrition is good you can eat less (as long as it is still a healthy amount) and lose weight. A person can have provide the nutrition their body needs to be healthy at 1200/1500/1800 calories or at 3000 calories, so the idea that you have to eat more to provide adequate nutrition and not be "malnourished" while nursing is a crock, once again IMHO.
Hummm.....

Well I know with ME I do work out and eat right and do not over eat yet I do not get rid of all the weight (could also be my boobs weigh like 10lbs, haha). AND when I do try all I can (eating WAY less, running daily, keeping a journal, etc) my milk supply dissapears RIGHT AWAY! And BFing is WAAAAYYYYYY more important than getting rid of a few pounds or someone thinking Well she isnt trying

Definatly isnt so cut and dry!

Advertisement

Last edited by Calideedle; 05-15-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #22
thepinkdragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gained 35 pounds in pregnancy and dropped it all in the first two weeks pp. I have lost another 8 pounds since then and am working towards losing about 50-60 more. I have lost all but 1 pound just nursing, almost two weeks ago I joined weight watchers online and lost a pound. I get extra points for being a nursing mom. I figure when I start exercising again too it will help me drop even more weight.

thepinkdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #23
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazdodge View Post
But honestly, when I see a lot of people who say they couldn't lose weight or gained weight while breastfeeding, I have to. I think that a lot of people just don't keep track of how much they eat and fall prey to the "eating for two" kind of mentality that some people have while pregnant. A lot of people also get into the habit of "mindless eating" and can consume a lot more calories than they mean to, which makes it awful hard to lose weight. I hear so many excuses from ladies who just need to start being accountable for what is really going on and own up to the fact that they are overweight/weigh more than they want to because they eat more than calories than their body requires. Yes, I know that it is said that if you are nursing you need to eat more calories, but when you are nursing your body will make milk first and give nutrition to your body second. So in my (very humble) opinion, as long as your nutrition is good you can eat less (as long as it is still a healthy amount) and lose weight. A person can have provide the nutrition their body needs to be healthy at 1200/1500/1800 calories or at 3000 calories, so the idea that you have to eat more to provide adequate nutrition and not be "malnourished" while nursing is a crock, once again IMHO.
So, should I duck & cover?
It depends though. I've read not only that bodies will hold on to weight to make sure there's a good supply to dip into for nutrients, but also that if your body holds a lot of toxins (and toxins are stored in fat) from things like bad eating, or pollution, or etc, that your body simply will not release that fat while you're breastfeeding to protect the milk from being overrun with toxins.

I'm usually very skinny, 5'8" and a 00 for most of my life, but whenever I get pregnant I gain weight, and a lot of it, I'm thinking it's my body's way of storing up because I usually weigh so little, I gain about 70lbs with each pregnancy and I eat properly, I don't like junk food in the house, I eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies, I'm vegetarian, I don't like carbs. And then I nurse, and it doesn't come off, even if I am still very healthy. But the second I stop nursing, I don't change my eating habits or my excercise, and it all melts off again. I don't know why it is, I'm thinking either my body wants to hold on to it because it can't guarantee a storage of nutrients if I weigh as much as I used to, or the fact that I used to smoke (quit when I was pregnant) means that I have stored toxins.

It's annoying though, because I try really hard to eat as healthy as I can, and I work out once a day and walk everywhere, and it's just not happening. But I know the second I quit nursing it'll come right off again. Last time when we weaned I lost all the weight within a month and a half.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #24
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

I have noticed that I am losing weight at a good steady rate, and I do attribute that to bf'ing since I barely exercise compared to before I got pregnant. I gained 80 lbs when I was pregnant with dd and by the time she was 6 months had lost 50 lbs without doing any exercise. The weight is still coming off.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #25
happimum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_beth View Post
I've found that I can't get rid of the weight without losing my milk supply. My son is 8 mo. old and I'm just started counting calories again this week. It's frustrating because I usually lose weight quickly by dropping my intake of calories. I can't do that while nursing, it's too important to me to nurse my son!!
Ditto, I have the same issue. As soon as I start restricting my calories, my milk depletes. Even if I track them it seems like I start to dry up. I am hoping to lose weight but am not ready to give up nursing. It's a catch-22.

ISO Boyish Fleece Covers, Imse Vimse Organic Covers, Imse Vimse Trainers
happimum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #26
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope.
In fact I held onto about 10 pounds that I could not lose while nursing (okay I didn't REALLY try....) but I'm finding the weight is coming off easier now that Sarah's stopped nursing. Remember, you need that extra weight to be sure you're carrying enough to make food for the baby.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #27
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

By the time my six week checkup came around I was 5 pounds under my prepregnancy weight! Sure helped me!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #28
lilepad
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think that the "boob weight" theory plays a little bit here. If your boobs grew & stayed bigger while nursing, you're going to hold onto that weight until weaning when they tend to shrink.

I, fortunately (because I'm already big-chested), am not one whose boobs do not stay bigger while nursing. With my first, I gained 18 lbs while pg and by 6 weeks pp had lost 35 lbs. With my second, I gained about 35 lbs and it took about 4 months plus an allergy elimination diet to lose it all. I'm 9 mo pp today and have lost an additional 5 lbs. But I'm one of the lucky ones.

I also have to brag that I eat CONSTANTLY, though it's mostly fruit & veg & beans & rice (all high fiber). My dd is still EBF so all of her calories come from me.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #29
ksera05
Registered Users
seller

I am dropping it very quickly but I'm also doing WW so that probably helps
Old 05-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #30
bex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends on the person. By the way I love your avatar picture!!lol
bex is offline   Reply With Quote