Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Induced lactation mamas....

I'm ready to start this journey and would LOVE suggestions! I had hoped to start this when we brought Livie home at 3 days old, but it was too Taboo for the foster system to accept (and technically CHILD ABUSE if you BF without approval ) so we didn't push to hard. We were supposably getting birth mom to sign over rights around 6 mos, so I got all excited and got my lactation consultant referalls going, but then she never showed . We are at TERMINATION !!!!... ~ and 9 mos old but I'm giving this an honest GO!

Part of me yearns to whip it out and BF her right there in the court room the second we sign the adoption paperwork... just to show it CAN be done and SHOULD be an option for foster children, too! It's not Taboo, just not the norm!!!

Suggestions anyone?

UPDATE: all my referrals from 3 mos ago are still GOOD!!!! I have an appointment Monday morning with the LC! Wish me luck!

Advertisement

Last edited by Primm_n_Proper_Baby; 05-15-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Primm_n_Proper_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
addiesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Induced lactation mamas....

How are you going to go about it? Meds or a pump or both? I got my doc to call in my meds for the advances protocol last month and insurance denyed it all. BOO. I'll just pay out of pocket I guess.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiesmommy View Post
How are you going to go about it? Meds or a pump or both? I got my doc to call in my meds for the advances protocol last month and insurance denyed it all. BOO. I'll just pay out of pocket I guess.
I'm pretty sure the way my doc worded the lactation consultant visits that the ins. will cover those. THey will NOT cover any meds tho, and I'm still not sure about which to do?!?!

Breast pump all the way (and supplemental nursing system).
Old 05-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

No drugs available in the US will bring in milk and help you keep it without nasty side affects. I have successfully relatated, but the Reglan doesn't help at all, just makes me sleepy and depressed. If you are serious about lactation, I'd go straight for the Domperidone and pumping, skipping all the herbs, pills and tinctures. I tried it all and the only thing that really made a substantial supply was the Dom.-brewers yeast, fenugreek, mothers milk tea, more milk plus-the list goes on and on. None of it worked like the Dom.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No suggestions, but a big and : for you, awesome mama!

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

sendin you a pm....

it is 110% possible to induce lactation with meds/herbs and a pump

Last edited by Birdof1985; 05-15-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
juclark77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsHelpingMoms View Post
No drugs available in the US will bring in milk and help you keep it without nasty side affects. I have successfully relatated, but the Reglan doesn't help at all, just makes me sleepy and depressed. If you are serious about lactation, I'd go straight for the Domperidone and pumping, skipping all the herbs, pills and tinctures. I tried it all and the only thing that really made a substantial supply was the Dom.-brewers yeast, fenugreek, mothers milk tea, more milk plus-the list goes on and on. None of it worked like the Dom.
I agree. Everything was pretty worthless except the domperidone and pumping. Skip the nasty tasting tinctures. The taste about killed me. You can get domperadone with a prescription from your doc at a specialty pharmacy (ex. Specialty Pharmacy of St. Louis) or without a prescription from InHouse Pharmacy on the internet. I had no side effects with the domperadone.. I got milk about a day after starting it (I had been pumping for weeks already). With the dom, I got a full supply and was able to quit taking it after 3 or 4 months and keep the supply. Pumping/feeding in the middle of the night was really helpful to get the supply up. The hard part may be getting your child to breastfeed. I started when my daughter was 4 months old and she hated my breast. It took a lot of trial and error and determination to stick it out. Now she loves breastfeeding. Please PM me if I can be of any help.
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
ProudHooahWife
Registered Users

I don't really have any advice but I just wanted to send ((HUGS)) This is wonderful that you want to do this!!!! Would they have been opposed to just breastmilk in a cup? What is their reasoning? Sorry to be nosey but that is so sad, that baby could have been getting breastmilk months ago if they put the BABY first. Ok I am off my soap box now...lol. Momma your awesome I have read a lot of your other posts and I know how much you love your babies big hugs for even wanting to try!!!

We just PCSed from Ft Bliss TX to Ft Meade MD...sooo excited about that!!

Addicted to Piddle Poddles!!! I LOVE them!!! I really should find the wagon....someday!!!
ProudHooahWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

You go Girl!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudHooahWife View Post
I don't really have any advice but I just wanted to send ((HUGS)) This is wonderful that you want to do this!!!! Would they have been opposed to just breastmilk in a cup? What is their reasoning? Sorry to be nosey but that is so sad, that baby could have been getting breastmilk months ago if they put the BABY first. Ok I am off my soap box now...lol. Momma your awesome I have read a lot of your other posts and I know how much you love your babies big hugs for even wanting to try!!!
It's simply the fact that it would be breastmilk... even from a donor bank where they've tested it. Without either birth moms (who DID BF her the first few days of her life and at our conferences with her - people thought I was so weird to be OK with this, but at least she got SOME bm!) or the SW's OK I can't do it. Honestly, I'm 95% positive her birth mom would have been OK with me BF her, but she kinda dropped of the face of the earth and no one has heard from her.

It's TOTALLY crazy that it's so Taboo and not accepted to provide BM to foster babies... who could really benefit (attachment wise and health wise). I bet it would really alter alot of the attatchment disorders, much of the nursing FM's stress (so many studies show that a nursing adoptive mom has hormones present in her body as compared to a non-nursing adoptive mom), and the govt's pocket book in health care costs.

Seems like a no-brainer to me! I'll push more once she's totally free and clear and legally ours. I was straight up with the kids' pediatrician today though that if we get any more infants I'll either need him to help me get breastfeeding approval or we'll need to go elsewhere. I'm sorry I didn't fight more for Olivia's approval. but I was afraid of rocking the boat to the point of causing a huge issue.