Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Induced lactation mamas.... Dompridome (how much did you take)

ooooh, I'm bidding on a Medela Advanced.... I hope I get it!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
lyra1977
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Induced lactation mamas....

I have just joined LLL and my leader pointed me to a research article which shows that attachment parenting can be a huge benefit for inducing lactation. I'm planning to have my adopted infant with me 24/7 until my milk comes in to its max (I'm OK with it not being enough for her, but I want to do my best). The article says that 3rd world adoptive mothers who babywear and cosleep because of culture are much more likely to establish full milk supplies. So, I don't have any advice about getting a 9mo to nurse, but I would say start AP if you haven't already! Best wishes to you, I hope you are successful!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra1977 View Post
I have just joined LLL and my leader pointed me to a research article which shows that attachment parenting can be a huge benefit for inducing lactation. I'm planning to have my adopted infant with me 24/7 until my milk comes in to its max (I'm OK with it not being enough for her, but I want to do my best). The article says that 3rd world adoptive mothers who babywear and cosleep because of culture are much more likely to establish full milk supplies. So, I don't have any advice about getting a 9mo to nurse, but I would say start AP if you haven't already! Best wishes to you, I hope you are successful!

We do!!! I know, I guess deep down I always hoped that my milk would just come in by having her her, with me . I guess it doesn't work like that! She does have a great latch though, but I can't say how I know that . Now for the milk to come in.....
Old 05-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
ProudHooahWife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primm_n_Proper_Baby View Post
It's simply the fact that it would be breastmilk... even from a donor bank where they've tested it. Without either birth moms (who DID BF her the first few days of her life and at our conferences with her - people thought I was so weird to be OK with this, but at least she got SOME bm!) or the SW's OK I can't do it. Honestly, I'm 95% positive her birth mom would have been OK with me BF her, but she kinda dropped of the face of the earth and no one has heard from her.

It's TOTALLY crazy that it's so Taboo and not accepted to provide BM to foster babies... who could really benefit (attachment wise and health wise). I bet it would really alter alot of the attatchment disorders, much of the nursing FM's stress (so many studies show that a nursing adoptive mom has hormones present in her body as compared to a non-nursing adoptive mom), and the govt's pocket book in health care costs.

Seems like a no-brainer to me! I'll push more once she's totally free and clear and legally ours. I was straight up with the kids' pediatrician today though that if we get any more infants I'll either need him to help me get breastfeeding approval or we'll need to go elsewhere. I'm sorry I didn't fight more for Olivia's approval. but I was afraid of rocking the boat to the point of causing a huge issue.
awww ok I understand more now. HUGS to you though for this journey!!!! Your baby will be so proud of you for all you have done for her...breastfeeding or not!!!

We just PCSed from Ft Bliss TX to Ft Meade MD...sooo excited about that!!

Addicted to Piddle Poddles!!! I LOVE them!!! I really should find the wagon....someday!!!
ProudHooahWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
ProudHooahWife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primm_n_Proper_Baby View Post
We do!!! I know, I guess deep down I always hoped that my milk would just come in by having her her, with me . I guess it doesn't work like that! She does have a great latch though, but I can't say how I know that . Now for the milk to come in.....
LOL I love it!!!!

We just PCSed from Ft Bliss TX to Ft Meade MD...sooo excited about that!!

Addicted to Piddle Poddles!!! I LOVE them!!! I really should find the wagon....someday!!!
ProudHooahWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #16
JnS Mama
Registered Users
seller

Wow, you are the greatest!

I thought I was the only one thinking that those poor foster babies should be getting bm. I plan on adopting in the future and, like you, I want to bf them.

One question I have, have you ever lactated before? If so, then getting a supply will be pretty easy. If not, it'll take a bit more time, but it's doable.

I agree with the dom & pumping being the way to go at first, but once you've got some milk, fenugreek tablets (2 of em, 3x a day) really help boost supply. Mother's milk tea was eh, not so helpful.

Ami
JnS Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #17
stacey
Banned

My Mood:

Are u kidding me? You are just so fabulous! I am a little amazed! With that fabulous Mei Tei you just bought you are awesomely on your way to some super baby wearing! Now the lactation?!? Crazy. You are just amazing. I can't figure out what else to say. I didn't know livie was adopted (not that it matters, just saying) and I would be the first to say I want a picture of her in that fabulous Diaper (although a little strangely cut) nursing in that fabulous carrier!
J/K.
Thread Hijack over.
Good luck, meg!
stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #18
amy17green
Registered Users

My Mood:

Way to go! I so desired to bf my foster son, but I know that it is a no no to be unclothed with the kids! J was 6 weeks when he came to us and I had been preparing for him since June. I very well could have pumped and froze it until he came to us. I cringe everytime I use the WIC checks to purchase 9 $14 cans of formula every month. SOOO sad- the attachment issues alone are a great reason to promote bf. Let us know if you get anywhere with the dss!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
averysmom
Registered Users

I'm in the same boat. We have our 1st meeting with the birth mom on Wed. I would really like to bf. I've nursed 2 kids already. Hope this will all work out. GOOD LUCK Primm_n_proper_baby!!!
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Induced lactation mamas.... LC consult. appoint update in #20

Had my Lact. Const. appoint. this morning!!!

Just to come out with everyone... I HATE my boobs! I always have... every other female in my family is nicely endowed, yea, not me!!! Did I get the perkiness gene?!?! NOPE! Why my hubby even loves that part of me I couldn't tell ya ! Thank goodness size/perkiness doesn't equate to production, huh? I hated having my whole shirt up and both boobs hanging out for the LC to examine, reposition, and whatnot. I'm working on gettin over it .

So my routine.... Reglan 10 mg x 1 times a day, Funegreek 3 caps x 3 times a day, Blessed Thistle 3 caps x 3 times a day, and Mother's Milk Tea 3-5 times a day.

Use the SNS almost exclusively with Livie (daddy can do a bottle a day) and pump an additional 4-6 times a day for 10 minutes w/ the hospital rented pump.

Latch is NOT a problem . Just the stupid milk part.... !

The LC says that usually you can tell if milk will come in within about 14-21 days, SO PRAY FOR ME PLEASE!