Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS is chewing his shirts to shreds

DS chews on his shirts. It was his sleeves and hat for a while which was annoying but I could deal, and it didn't totally destroy them in a day. Now that school has started and he is going to kindergarten, he is chewing the front of his shirt near the collar. For hours at a time. I have thrown away 3 shirts since school started last week because they are full of holes. I can't afford to buy him new shirts every day. What can I do to get him to stop?

Malka

Advertisement

Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS is chewing his shirts to shreds

My daugther is a shirt chewer too, but she is still a baby without all her teeth so it doesnt get destructive.

maybe you can provide him with something else to chew on that wont break down so quickly? Even like a plastic straw or they make rubber little L shaped things specifically for kids to chew on?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

We've bought him chew toys, etc. and he will chew on them for a bit, then put it down and lose it. I bought him a bib with teethers attached, but he takes them off after not too long, and realistically he can't wear a bib to school.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

they sell "chewy tubes" also those coiled rubber stretchy keychain thingys can be worn on the wrist as a chewing outlet. Pencil toppers- big rubbery ones like skeletons etc sold this time of year and chewable. My DS used to chew and get soaked neck-to-waist I thought it was SO gross! But just when I was SURE I'd lose my mind he stopped. He was 5 1/2-6.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I think you are saying he is doing this in kindergarten right? Have you spoke w/ the teacher about trying to remind him gently about not doing it. It has probably become such a habit that he doesn't reallize he is doing it at first, and if the teacher doesn't notice then no one will stop him. KWIM It sounds like a nervous reaction to school. If nothing else maybe you can make him something out of cloth that he can carry in a pocket or around his wrist to chew on so he won't ruin his clothes. I think you need to really address the reason he may be doing it though, I don't know why, but sounds like nerves to me.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Ug, my husband does this when he's bored or just not thinking. Half his t-shirts have the necks streached way out and holes in them. It's so annoying! Good luck finding another outlet for your ds!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is he lacking a nutrient? I am pretty sure I heard somewhere chewing/eating sometimes means they are lacking something...like pregnant women eating dirt. I dont know if its worth it or not but might be to find out ...
Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
Babyvan
Registered Users

My son has autism (nor saying that yours does) and when he was little, he used to do this. It drove me crazy. If it has increased since your son started school, that tells me that he is under increased stress. It might help to give him something more appropriate to chew on (you can check w/ an occupational therapist to find lots of alternatives or check with a supply company like this one Therapy Shoppe). He might be seeking sensory input and would maybe benefit from some sensory processing therapy (like brushing or joint compression). But it sounds like he also would benefit from finding ways to reduce his stress at school. If you can pin point the stressors in his day, and minimize them, that might help with the shirt chewing as well. My son did eventually stop chewing his shirt. Good luck!
Babyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
lisahas2cats
Registered Users

Awww, this brings back memories! DS used to chew his shirts too...drove. me. insane. Every single shirt looked like it had been at the mercy of hungry rats.

I miss it now that he's a junior in high school, LOL! But I sympathize with how aggravating it is. Nothing worked for us, he just had to outgrow it, but I'm sure you'll get good suggestions
Old 09-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
sheandaru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds did this for a while in preschool/kindergarten. We had to teach him the "rule" of his mouth:

"We don't put things in our mouths except food and drink."

He grew out of it eventually, but I always reminded him with that rule.

sheandaru is offline   Reply With Quote