Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
my poor baby's bottom! What can I use to help her?

This is the first time since our switch to cloth at 2 months old that my dd has redness.

This may be TMI but here goes! She doenst have a rash, she has bright bright redness just inside her butt cheeks. It hurts her like crazy for me to wipe, she cries and wiggles. I also slathered her in desitin, which seemed to hurt her the worste. When I wiped (gently too!) she actually was bleeding! OUCH!

So what can I do? In the house all I have are desitin and a&d. I might have a small sample size of terresentials diaper salve too. I have been using sposies so they dont get ruined with the desitin, which I am not going to use anymore b/c it obviously hurts her.

I need something that I can get asap. I have a whole foods nearby, so I can try there. I feel so bad for her! Any suggestions? I also want to get her out of the sposies and into her cloth, preferably her fleece, so she has at least some more air circulation going on. What can I use that I have at hand to protect the diapers? OR, maybe a cream or salve that I dont need to protect diapers from?

Amira and I thank you in advance!

mom to 14 yr old special needs princess 8 yr old little miss sunshine and our long awaited flower toddler!
sesa70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: my poor baby's bottom! What can I use to help her?

i would say just air to her bottom. perhaps she wasn't cleaned well enough after her last BM and that has made her raw? let her run around without a diaper for a few hours and see what happens.

sometimes my DD gets red on the bottom (it's more on her bottom cheeks) and i just put a good moisturizing lotion on it and it helps alot. i have to make sure i put a good thick layer of lotion on her bottom before bed and then reapply in the middle of the day.

i hope she gets better soon. maybe you could let her soak in a warm bath.
sandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

You can use a piece of fleece if you have one laying around the house in the diaper. Or you can get some cheap fleece from walmart or any other local store to protect your diapers. Lansinoh will also help protect and moisturize if you have any of that around.

Rather than wiping, when my DS gets like that, I put him in the tub and rise his tush by pouring cupfulls of water over him. He loves it and it is soothing. Then I let him run around without a diaper for a while to air-dry. I also frequently will dust his tush with cornstarch as frequently moisture and/or rubbing will cause his rash to worsten. Cornstarch will not effect your diapers. It dries up moisture, and prevents chafing.

Good luck and HTH! for you and your DD!
Laura, Wife to my best friend, Mommy to Alex , 9-14-04, and Lucas , 8-20-07
1 in 110 children in the US have an Autism Spectrum Disorder and I'm proud that two of them are mine.
AngelMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Burt's Bees diaper rash cream has always worked well for us, and is usually easy to find locally. HTH!
SAHM to Abby(2/28/96), Cole(4/8/99), Gage(8/5/02), and Seth(8/17/04)! - Pay Per Click Management
Heidiliz is offline   Reply With Quote