Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
thepinkdragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The Spit Up King, is this normal?

I swear DS is the spit up king. Sometimes when I burp him (that is, if he burps at all) he spits up a ton to the point where it is more like vomit. Then an hour or so later he is dribbling spit up out of his mouth especially when he is actively playing or is excited. He even gets this bubbling drool around his mouth when he gets excited. He spits up so much it freaks me out. He is almost exclusively bf with an occasional bottle of ebm. It doesn't matter if it comes from the breast or the bottle he spits up the same. It also doesn't help to keep him elevated after a feeding, he still spits up. I think he has a problem with gas and I have tried the mylicon drops and they help a little. He doesn't seem to be hurt by all this spitting up but it is freaking me out. I know sometimes he spits up probably half of what he eats. He is going to the doc for his well baby on the 27th and I will bring it up then but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Is this normal? It sure doesn't seem like it. I had suspected reflux maybe but he rarely gets fussy or acts like he is pain so I'm not sure. Help!

Advertisement

thepinkdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
Happygrl6
Registered Users
seller

Re: The Spit Up King, is this normal?

My son is the same. He spits up SO much more than my daughter ever did. I talked to my ped, two LLL leaders (plus the LLL groups) and two LCs and they all said it was fine if he wasn't acting like he was in pain. Just that some babies spit up more than others.

How old is your son, BTW?

ISO Boyish Side-snapping AI2s in Mediums, especially Grasshoppers diapers
Happygrl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
thepinkdragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He is 9 weeks old. It started getting like this at around 4-5 weeks old. I was just nursing him about 10 minutes ago and he broke latch (was falling asleep) and spit up all over me. Earlier when I burped him it seemed like he spit up everything he had just ate, it was everywhere. It is frustrating to say the least, I have to keep spot cleaning my couch (thank goodness for my bissel little green!) and change our clothes constantly or walk around smelling like puke. LOL It just worries me that he spits up so much. I know he is gaining fine and when I give him a bottle he wants 4 oz or more at a time. I thought that was a lot. He doesn't spit up like a fountain every time, but it is more often than not here lately.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Some babies do just spit up more. As long as he is still gaining weight and doing okay it really isn't a problem except for laundry per Dr Sears. Burp him good when he pulls off the breast, keep him upright (swing, sling, carseat, etc) after eating. Get some big bibs!

My first 2 DD's had mild reflux, tried the meds, didn't help. DD #2 was very colicy. DD #3 was spitting up and very fussy with it until I cut out dairy products, I figured it was worth a shot to try it since my girls hated the medications and I don't like to give my kids meds anyway. It made a world of difference. My new baby is spitting up and crying too so I am doing the same thing.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If your boy is the King, mine is the queen of spit-up. My ped said as long as she is gaining, and not in pain (arching back, etc) not to worry too much, some babies are just spitters! At about 5 months the quantity has significantly decreased. Mostly it is just a laundry issue, and never leave home without a spit-out rag in your pocket, purse, stroller, and diaperbag

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It could be reflux, but this sounds really familiar. My 2nd son developed major spitting up at around 4 weeks, and just before he hit 6 weeks he was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis. The spitting up started out like once a day, then became very frequent to the point where he was no longer gaining weight because nothing was really getting through. I was worried about it happening so much, and then he didn't have much diaper output either, which was a big red flag. I had talked to the Dr. at his 4 weeks check up about it, and once more on the phone when he woke up with a dry diaper after all night and that scared me. When he was diagnosed I was actually relieved because I knew something was not right, and knowing that a surgery could correct it was scary but also it was great to have an answer! After surgery to correct it he did great and no longer spat up! Has his spit-up increased in frequency? Check out WebMD or search on pyloric stenosis online to see if you think the symptoms fit. It's more common in boys than girls. Pm me if you want to know anything more about it!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
thepinkdragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imamama3 View Post
It could be reflux, but this sounds really familiar. My 2nd son developed major spitting up at around 4 weeks, and just before he hit 6 weeks he was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis. The spitting up started out like once a day, then became very frequent to the point where he was no longer gaining weight because nothing was really getting through. I was worried about it happening so much, and then he didn't have much diaper output either, which was a big red flag. I had talked to the Dr. at his 4 weeks check up about it, and once more on the phone when he woke up with a dry diaper after all night and that scared me. When he was diagnosed I was actually relieved because I knew something was not right, and knowing that a surgery could correct it was scary but also it was great to have an answer! After surgery to correct it he did great and no longer spat up! Has his spit-up increased in frequency? Check out WebMD or search on pyloric stenosis online to see if you think the symptoms fit. It's more common in boys than girls. Pm me if you want to know anything more about it!
Thank you for sharing. I had read about this before and wondered if maybe that was the problem because he always acts like he is still hungry afterward. But, he is still gaining as far as I know, still has wet diapers and doesn't appear to be dehydrated. Of course I am not a medical professional so I could be wrong. I will definately bring it up to the ped when we go on the 27th. Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds will soak everything and everyone! He has always spit up tons . . . .he doesn't give us an warning (like a burp) either. Basically we could do surgery to correct the problem, but he should grow out of it by a year. . . .he doesn't seem uncomfortable so I would rather let him spit up than go through surgery.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:30 AM   #9
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, can be very normal. If he is not acting like he is in pain and is gaining weight he is fine, just have lots and lots of burp cloths on hand! Both of my children are major spitters and I do not put them on my shoulder without a burp cloth. Believe it or not, they still keep a lot of milk down. It just looks like a lot because it has a lot of saliva in it tooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelephant View Post
If your boy is the King, mine is the queen of spit-up. My ped said as long as she is gaining, and not in pain (arching back, etc) not to worry too much, some babies are just spitters! At about 5 months the quantity has significantly decreased. Mostly it is just a laundry issue, and never leave home without a spit-out rag in your pocket, purse, stroller, and diaperbag
Old 05-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
xkellyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little lady is a champ at projectile spitups, and is EBF- As gross as it sounds, my boxer pup follows us around the house to clean up after her feedings and when I burp her. She always seems to shower me, what ever I'm sitting on and the floor.

But, she's happy, not uncomfortable, and usually smiling right after she blasts me. Plus she's gaining beautifully. If your little one isn't showing any discomfort and is gaining well I wouldn't worry.
xkellyx is offline   Reply With Quote