Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Newborn nursing questions

Okay, I've done this before but being sleep deprived I'm having remembering problems!! LOL

My dd is 2 weeks old tomorrow and she is nursing GREAT during the day about every two hours sometimes 3 hours, but at night she's going like 4 hours w/o nursing is that okay?? She's not sleeping during the night yet, actually she sleeps all day and NOT during the night, ack!! LOL

Also, does anyone elses baby spit up come from the nose?? I've actually seen her spit milk from her nose BUT not from her mouth, it's kinda making me nervous as if something could be wrong. What would you do?? Thanks girls!!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborn nursing questions

You just descibed my son as a new born. Everything from the 4 hours at night to the spit up out the nose. If your little one can go 4 hours at night, I say AWESOME!!!! (to bad she is not sleeping!!!)
Old 05-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
sheri77
Registered Users
seller

My daughter also has spit up issues with BM (thank god no formula, it would be way worse) and every once in a while she has it coming out of her nose, but no harm really. And as for sleeping up to 4 or more hours at night, I wouldn't be concerned as long as he's gaining, if you're not sure you can try a public health nurse to see if she can come and weigh the baby or your MD-but be leary, sadly, some still push formula unnecessarily.
sheri77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mommas, that's what I was thinking I just wanted to be sure!!! I HATE how everyone seems to push formula at the first sound of ANY problem! ACK!!
Old 05-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd2 spit up through her nose at first, and I found it very alarming! But it didn't seem to do any harm. And enjoy the 4 hour stretch! I wouldn't let dd go longer than 2-3 hours without eating during the day because I wanted her to do her long stretches at night, and it worked for us

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiamom View Post
dd2 spit up through her nose at first, and I found it very alarming! But it didn't seem to do any harm. And enjoy the 4 hour stretch! I wouldn't let dd go longer than 2-3 hours without eating during the day because I wanted her to do her long stretches at night, and it worked for us

My DD spits up through her nose too
Old 05-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Kristen82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS had spit up come out of his nose all the time when he was a newborn. Totally normal

Kristen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

I'm sure that a 4 hour gap at night is fine. If your baby is having weight issues, then I'd wake him up at night every 2-3 hours. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry and enjoy the rest.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Luke'sMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son is six weeks old now. At his last weigh in, the doctor said that once he had regained his birth weight and was gaining 4-6 oz/week, that he could go as long as 4 hrs between nighttime feedings. Enjoy the extra sleep!
Luke'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Great, so it sounds like everything is normal!!

For those of you whose babies spit up often is it normal for them to spit up quite a bit? It seems like she's spitting up a lot and I'm not sure if I should stop her feedings sooner or just let her nurse til she's done and deal with the spit up!?