Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Rewally stinky gas and spit up (newborn)

I haven't ever encountered this before. Our new baby has horrid gas (doesn't seem to hurt him though) and he is also spitting up quite a bit.

I am about to do a search online but thought I would try here too.

Could it be something I am eating or do some babies just do this for no reason?

Advertisement

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
BasicallyBliss
Registered Users
seller

Re: Rewally stinky gas and spit up (newborn)

My DD had smelly gas as a newborn too. I think that the IV antibiotics I had received during labor affected the "good" bacteria in her digestive tract. Her ped. recommended that we start giving her probiotics once or twice daily. The probiotics worked really well, and after a couple of days the smelly gas was gone for good

A certain amount of spit-up is normal for infants. I wouldn't necessarily do anything about that yet, unless your LO appears to be uncomfortable.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Kinga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my little guy...4 weeks, had similar problems. Someone suggested that it could be oversupply...I generally have really quick let down...and he is drowning. lol

so, if your baby is making gulping noises and have lots of gas...it could be oversupply. he could be swallowing too much air as he tries not to drown

It was suggested that I lean back to feed, esentially, allowing him to work more at getting the milk and gravity holding it back instead of overflowing his mouth with the yummy stuff.

It's made a HUGE difference. It's easiest if I lay down..but just leaning back and lifting him up a bit is enough too. The gas never hurt him, but it was disruptive because often he woke up to get all the gas out!

Good luck, I hope maybe ths helps you? And my LO wasn't uncomfortable, but it bothered me since I thought he was. I wanted to make it better!
Kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinga View Post
my little guy...4 weeks, had similar problems. Someone suggested that it could be oversupply...I generally have really quick let down...and he is drowning. lol

so, if your baby is making gulping noises and have lots of gas...it could be oversupply. he could be swallowing too much air as he tries not to drown

It was suggested that I lean back to feed, esentially, allowing him to work more at getting the milk and gravity holding it back instead of overflowing his mouth with the yummy stuff.

It's made a HUGE difference. It's easiest if I lay down..but just leaning back and lifting him up a bit is enough too. The gas never hurt him, but it was disruptive because often he woke up to get all the gas out!

Good luck, I hope maybe ths helps you? And my LO wasn't uncomfortable, but it bothered me since I thought he was. I wanted to make it better!
I think he IS eating A LOT!!! He is nursing great and does do some gulping..Will try what you suggested! He doesn't seem uncomfortable at all and it woudl be great if this was what is wrong.Would be easy to work on fixing

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
valpopp
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would try and nurse on one side for 2 hrs and then switch to the other, to make sure he is getting the hindmilk and not just the foremilk