Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
ajanebug
Registered Users

My Mood:
Breast or bottle dilemma!?!

Sometimes I think that maybe it is in the stars that nursing will not work out for me! My first was given a bottle in the NICU after birth and refused for weeks to nurse after that. I saw everyone that could help me but he would not nurse. I finally gave up with him after they told me to take away all bottles and feed him with a cup--too much for a tired new mom with a very large (10lbs, 5oz at birth) and very hungry baby. So, I vowed that it would be different the next time around! My next LO nursed right away and I managed to go 3 months before fate stepped in and handed me a blow. I was diagnosed with Hep A and spent 9 days in the hospital without my LO. I had also been taking meds for milk supply issues which I had to discontinue as they don't want anything extranious running through your already injured liver. So, milk supply is very low and my LO got formula while I was in the hospital. I did pump several times a day while admitted, but was on antibiotics, so had to pump and dump. Now I am faced with the what now--should I leave him on formula, both formula and breast, as I am doing now, or try to reinstate my milk supply and go back to nursing only. Can your milk supply be brought back? How? I really don't know what to do, and am very tired as a consequence of the disease! Not sure if I can continue taking motilium to increase my supply. Yikes--any suggestions or advice?

Advertisement

ajanebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Breast or bottle dilemma!?!

first of all, to you mama.

second, get that baby back to the breast! i think you should go on a nursing holiday. can someone help with your first little one so that you can spend ALL day and night in bed with your baby and just let him nurse nurse nurse? if you were able to spend the majority of your day in bed, for a couple of days in a row, i bet your supply would really kick in. have someone bake you oatmeal cookies, eat oatmeal for breakfast, drink tons of water, lots and lots of skin to skin contact with your baby.

basically, i think that you should treat this as en emergency situation. someone HAS to come and help out to take care of your older child, cook all meals, etc etc, because you need to be able to ONLY think about nursing your baby.

good luck mama, you can do it!!
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yu, I agree, breast is best mama - good for you, wow, hugs from me as well.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
momofkali
Registered Users

Do what you want to do.
Don't breastfeed just because people are pressuring you.
But don't bottle feed just because it seems easier right now.

You prob can get your supply back up but it will take a lot of work and perseverence and you need to decide if you have that in you.

Be realistic going into whatever situation you decide and don't be disappointed, what matters is that your baby is healthy and happy.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
wendy dinon
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry you had to be away from your baby, and hospitalized at that. Relactation is def possible for some women. It will for sure take a lot of dedication and you will need tons of support from friends and family. You may want to look into a nursing supplementer like Lact Aid or the Medela SNS, that way until you build your supply back up, you baby can take his formula and still be at the breast. Now, I have IGT so I am unable to produce more than an ounce per feeding, so in order to have a nursing relationship with my son I HAVE to use the Lact Aid. It's a little tricky to use at first, but it gets way easier. If you do end up using a supplementer, feel free to PM me if you every have any questions! Good luck in whatever you decide to do. And the other Mother is right, don't let anyone make you feel guilty.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
wendy dinon
Registered Users
seller

Oh I forgot to mention that some Mothers find that taking Domperidone really helps their supply, it's used a lot for relactation or inducing lactation as well.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
xkellyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't imagine not nursing- If it were my decision to make I would definitely pull out all the stops to get my milk supply back up. I wish you the best of luck.
xkellyx is offline   Reply With Quote