Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
ekmaurer3
Registered
seller

My Mood:
A little Sad

I went to a baby expo today. It was kind of like a giant baby fair with vendors, entertainment, ect...
Of course there is always samples and freebies at these types of things.

The biggest line was a grab bag from Nutramin nutrition or some name like that. I was pretty sure it was formula and other stuff. So, I got in line to ask what was in the bag. You had to fill out a form to get a bag, instead I just asked very nicely what was in the bag. The person said, formula and formula coupons. I said' thank you and started to turn away. She said "what? that is not good enough for you?" I looked at her in surprise and said NOPE. She was surprised I said that. So she said, thats too bad. I didnt respond and I just walked away very sad.
I wanted to say, no its not good enough unless its breastmilk.
I was not mean, I didnt go up there to cause a fight, I asked nicely and said thank you. Why would someone assume I want formula and that I am ungrateful if I dont want it.
To top it off they had a sign at the table where you fill out that card, that said "make sure you ask for your free formula diaper bag in the hospital when you deliver"

This is not a post to knock formula feeders. But I really hate the marketing for formula. I hate that they make it seem like its just as good. or that you are strange if you dont use formula. And then to write " breastfeeding support kit" on the sample packs. Its not a support kit. Its a marketing ploy to switch you to their formula away from the breast.

I guess I was sad so many expecting moms were lining up to get formula and that formula companies have done such of good job of deceiving them to think its just as good. I was sad that the moms wanted to start their child off on this foot. I know some people dont have a choice and that 1% of women dont produce enough milk, but I was sad for all the babies that wont receive mommy's milk.

Breastfeeding is my favorite thing for my LO. Its our time, its so much more than food.

There was a good side to the baby expo. LO won a crawling contest and he was sporting a cloth diaper and WHAM shirt for it. A babyshape mutt. Super trim and lets the baby go-go-go.

Advertisement

Last edited by ekmaurer3; 05-18-2008 at 12:04 PM.
ekmaurer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A little Sad

And for your lo winning the race!
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
corey0902
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm an LC at our local hospital and I hate seeing those bags. It urks me that they hand them out to everyone, even our BF moms. To top it off, some of our BF moms use them because I see them when they come in for weight check appts. There are the ugliest darn bags anyway so why would someone want one, just because its free? Its amazing what people will use just because its free. Don't they realized that thats how they get you hooked.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
ekmaurer3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey0902 View Post
I'm an LC at our local hospital and I hate seeing those bags. It urks me that they hand them out to everyone, even our BF moms. To top it off, some of our BF moms use them because I see them when they come in for weight check appts. There are the ugliest darn bags anyway so why would someone want one, just because its free? Its amazing what people will use just because its free. Don't they realized that thats how they get you hooked.
I agree. And so many mom's think that if the hospital gives it to them, then it must be good or okay for my baby. Thats the problem. Hospitals should not endorse formula. I completely understand the hospitals feed the baby formula if the parent chooses that, but they should not be giving out free bags with formula to BF moms. That is telling parents they endorse it and its good for your baby.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Sailorchibimoon3
Registered Users

I do formula feed now, and do feel a little guilty. I made it to 6 months. But it says on the formula 'Breatfeadding is preferred' Mama's don't seem to understand how important it is to start your baby off right. #rd world contries DONT have formula. Everyone breastfeeds there. Here its considered disgusting, and old world. My mom did not breastfeed my sister or I, and im just fine, but breastfed is bestfed and its been proven time and time again. Congrats on standing up for youself, and even more for holding you tongue.
Sailorchibimoon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorchibimoon3 View Post
I do formula feed now, and do feel a little guilty. I made it to 6 months. But it says on the formula 'Breatfeadding is preferred' Mama's don't seem to understand how important it is to start your baby off right. #rd world contries DONT have formula. Everyone breastfeeds there. Here its considered disgusting, and old world. My mom did not breastfeed my sister or I, and im just fine, but breastfed is bestfed and its been proven time and time again. Congrats on standing up for youself, and even more for holding you tongue.
Good for you! 6 months is better than 0 months.

I know what you mean about the stigma. My MIL actually started to give all of her children cow's milk at 3-4 months of age! I'm surprised that they're still alive actually! I think it was the grace of God. None of my hubby's brothers or my hubby have any problems with their development or stomachs or anything... although the middle one has a mild disability of some sort.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey0902 View Post
When I had bella I was struggling to get her to latch. As we were checking out, the nurse came out with a bag with formula and coupons and offered it. She also told us that they were not supposed to give them out but they do it anyway.

I always thought that it was kind of sad that I took it and every time I was struggling with her(for 3 months) I thought of that Da** can in my cupboard.
They also gave me a nipple shield The main reason we struggled so hard.

The formula sat in my cupboard for 2 years. I have no idea why I kept it. I am still nursing her at 3 and not one bottle of formula. I guess I hate waste..IDK
I actually have formula in my home now but I give it away to family and friends that have made the decision to use formula.
It is ridiculous, the number of coupons and samples that I received in the first 6 months.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #8
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mere D'Anna View Post
Good for you! 6 months is better than 0 months.

I know what you mean about the stigma. My MIL actually started to give all of her children cow's milk at 3-4 months of age! I'm surprised that they're still alive actually! I think it was the grace of God. None of my hubby's brothers or my hubby have any problems with their development or stomachs or anything... although the middle one has a mild disability of some sort.

My husbands ped had my MIL switch him to cows milk from formula at 3 months because he was gaining too much weight. He was over 10 pound at birth and was about 13 pounds at 3 months. I want to know WTH that ped was thinking? He and his sister (switched at 4-5 months to cows milk) have digestive issues due to the switch. Glad your hubby is fine! The digestive thing sucks! It's just them, their whole family on both sides have no problems. Ugh.

I got two of the bags when my second DD was born. The nurse said she didn't know why she was giving me one. I was pumping her first two days because she had pneumonia and was in an isolet and only allowed IV fluids. I had my milk in not long after she was allowed to nurse. I had so much milk pumped and in their fridge, they called me a cow , lovingly though. I would have offered it up to some of the other babies for sure. I just took the bags to help with hauling all of the various stuff we accumulated at the hospital, and gave the formula away to a guy I worked with before. That's all the bags were good for, hauling the gifts and such we got home. I hate them.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #9
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Formula companies advertising practices are sick and disgusting. Nestle paid Chicago Hope (remember that tv show... it was sorta like ER) to air a show where a baby was brought into the ER dehydrated because his mother was breastfeeding and not making any milk.

They not only provide hospitals with free formula bags... they provided the hospital I worked at previously with powerpoint presentations for their breastfeeding classes. So wonderful. Powerpoint slides on breastfeeding with little similac logos on it. And lots and lots of stuff about sore nipples (guess they're trying to squeeze in the downsides of bfing where they can). They also provide basically all of the breastfeeding educational stuff that hospitals hand out.

I've also heard rumors (although never seen it firsthand) of formula companies sending whichever postpartum or nursery nurse collects the most formula lids on a free cruise. So of course the nurse is wanting to offer every baby formula that comes along. I don't know if there is truth to that, but I wouldn't doubt it a bit.

The formula reps LOVED hitting me up when they came to the hospital to visit when I was pregnant (and working postpartum). They offered me all the free formula I wanted. I just said "no thanks... I'm gonna breastfeed". Then they were like "well, when you switch to formula" and I was like "oh... I won't be switching". I don't even think they understood how you could not switch to formula at some point. They were just kinda baffled by how I planned to feed my baby when I stopped bfing.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 AM   #10
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ya know, I took the free formula diaper bag from the hospital. But I left the formula samples and coupons in the room. My discharge nurse told me to take them because they'd just be thrown out I said that was fine with me. i used the little Similac insulated bag to carry frozen breastmilk when I was too shy to nurse in public.
We made it 16 months without ever having a drop of formula. It broke my heart to have to wean her.