Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
laugh2survive
Registered Users

Help us please! He's hurting me :(

My son is 16 months old and he is wanting to nurse more, because we just had a new baby and because he's sick. I want to let him, but he is hurting me! Sometimes it hurts right away, other times it takes awhile. And I don't always, but sometimes you can see little tooth marks on top of my nipple - he's not biting, but not hiding his teeth or something so they kind of get me just from the sucking. Like I said, I don't see these everytime, but maybe I feel it before there's time for the marks to show up.
What can I do? How can you tell a 16 month old that he has to somehow move his teeth?
He is so sad and sick. He doesn't usually ask to nurse, but now he really wants to and he just breaks mine and dh's hearts, but I don't want to nurse him because it hurts! Please help!

Advertisement

laugh2survive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
KatieJD334
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help us please! He's hurting me :(

Did any new teeth come in recently, or in the period between when he stopped nursing so much and now? New teeth can take some adjusting for him to get his latch right again, he is probably aware of it when he nurses but has to re-learn how to latch with teeth. The enzymes and saliva during teething can cause irritation as well. It does take some time but it almost always gets better. Changing your position often while nursing can prevent his teeth from rubbing in the same spot. Also, make sure there aren't any food particles in his teeth as this can cause a lot of irritation with nursing as well.