Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
KatieJD334
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you start solids? Why?

Here's the kellymom link on starting solids - http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

A babe's digestive system is immature until at least 6 months. Introducing solids earlier can lead to food allergies and other digestive issues. A lot of peds are not up to date on this information so I would do your own research on it. Babe's may show interest in the mechanics for eating before 6 months, but their digestive systems just aren't ready. They need to meet all milestones for solids readiness, including sitting well unassisted, no tongue thrust, able to and willing to chew, is developing a pincer grasp between the fore-finger and thumb, and willing to participate in mealtime. All of these have to be met, not just one or two.

Purees really aren't necessary when starting solids at 6 months or later. Baby's are entirely capable of self feeding chunks or spears of food such as avocado, banana, cooked sweet potato,etc. During the first year, solids are for experimentation and learning about textures, tastes, etc. They are not meant for nutrition. Only 0-25% of a babe's nutrition should be coming from them, the majority should be coming from breastmilk. We started out by giving my DS chunks of avocado to self feed, now at 8 months he eats maybe once a day (fresh fruits and veggies) and is a healthy 30lbs and 30 inches. He still nurses at least 8-10 times a day.

Rice cereal can be very hard on a babe's digestive system because the nutrients are hard to absorb, and it teaches them nothing about tastes and textures. Honestly its a throwback to about 30-40 years ago when doctors told mom's to start feeding solids at 3 weeks, and they needed a food that was least likely to cause problems. Its just not necessary anymore. Its the equivalent of wallpaper paste in my opinion. As far as vitamins in rice cereal, all of those vitamins are in breastmilk.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
JnS Mama
Registered Users
seller

What Katie said. Ds started at 5 mos because he stole my meatball. Literally. I had it on the fork and ds on my lap. I was distracted (oh, say 2 SECONDS) and next thing I knew, I felt a tug, looked down and saw ds sucking on it happily.

That said, I started giving him vegetable purees around 6 mos. I don't think there's anything good about rice cereal since it is so processed, but pureed apples, bananas, green beans, etc should be fine. I've also given him ground turkey cooked up until it's a mash (meatloaf). I've also given him little spears of things to munch on and he does fine. As long as you watch him, feeding him veggies fruits & meats should be fine. Just follow your baby's cues. If he starts demanding (more than just looking) and meets most of the milestones, let him have some. If he is sitting up, tongue thrust is gone, and he can grab items & bring them to his mouth, then he can start on veggies.

Just avoid common allergens like dairy & grains for a while longer.

Ami
JnS Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

I first started to give my daughter rice cereal when she was 5 months 3 weeks. She hated it. We put it off. At 6 months and 1 week, we started again with other solids such as pureed bananas I think. She refused it. We put it off. By 7 months I started to let her self feed solids (such as Gerber puffs and cheerios) and she enjoyed that. That's how she has always taken solids. No other way except for feeding herself. She was still mainly breastfed for quite a while longer... I think it wasn't until about 13 months until solids were a daily occurrence and a main source of nutrition in any way.

I see that a lot of moms here encourage no solids until a year. I have no problem with that. My daughter loved self feeding and trying new textures and I encouraged that in her. She started using a fork and spoon at 15 months probably because she was so used to self feeding solids.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
valpopp
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter is 8mos and is just now starting to play with bananas and sweet potatoes. My ped said that studies show now that the "cereals" are not good firsts anymore, because they are very allergenic.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
bellarose4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We waited until she was 6 months before starting solids and now at 9 months..she still doesn't really eat that much solids. She prefers BF.
#3 12/05/10
bellarose4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestlynl View Post
I think a lot of Moms start at least cereal around 3 months.
yikes really? when ODDwas a baby they told me to WAIT until 6mo I would never ever give my child anything before 6mo

with that, we tried at 6mo with ODD with rice cereal and it didnt go to well so we tried again at 7mo it was hard but she got the hang of it.... with YDD we will just go with the flow and see what happens.... my MIL is a nursing student so she thinks she knows everything about everything and I know the second she turns 6mo she will start hassling me but I will only start when she is ready
Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #17
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanonlyimagine View Post
yikes really? when ODDwas a baby they told me to WAIT until 6mo I would never ever give my child anything before 6mo

with that, we tried at 6mo with ODD with rice cereal and it didnt go to well so we tried again at 7mo it was hard but she got the hang of it.... with YDD we will just go with the flow and see what happens.... my MIL is a nursing student so she thinks she knows everything about everything and I know the second she turns 6mo she will start hassling me but I will only start when she is ready
My mom is the same way, but she's been hassling me since like 4 months. I can't wait to tell her no rice cereal...she'll flip.

I just put a banana in the freezer this morning, so I might try giving it to her in the mesh feeder this afternoon.

You gals have been awesome w/ telling me all your stories. I'm so blessed to be able to ask you guys a question and get lots of answers. It really helps me make informed decisions.
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #18
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

rice cereal is pretty much empty calories. healthier to go with barley, oat, etc. if you are wanting to feed a cereal. just start with a single kind before introducing a mixed kind to identify any allergies.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
AlexandZoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, here's my I started introducing solids around 7 or 7.5 months months and my son had NO interest. He didn;t really take to solids until close to 9 months. What we did learn in that time is that he hated rice cereal but loves regular oatmeal (quick oats) (with a little brown sugar). Basically, my son preferred mashed table food (baked sweet potatoes, cooked squash, fork mashed bananas). He likes more texture than the stage 1 baby foods could offer.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #20
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we started at 6 and a half months and gave him cereal and mashed foods (avacado, sweet potatoes, etc mixed with bm or formula) and he loved it! Now at nearly a year old, he nurses 5-6x's a day and eats breakfast, lunch and dinner. I wouldn't rush it just because others are telling you to- do what you feel comfortable with!