Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #21
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
My Mood:
Re: When did you start solids? Why?

We tried at 7 months, she wanted no part of it.

Tried every week for a month and stopped.

Tried again at 9 months, she still hated it.

She finally took to it a little bit at 10.5 months. Avocado, then sweet potato, then butternut squash, apples, pears, etc.

She NEVER got nasty premade rice cereal. We started her on cereal at 11 months with homemade oatmeal (as per Super Baby Food's super porridge) and also made her other whole grain cereals like barley, millet and brown rice.

Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:

We haven't started baby #5 yet, she is 8 . 5 months and doing fine without it, so I am in no hurry.

We don't do rice cereal either, I do real oatmeal that I have pureed, prior to cooking, in the food processor. THen I add water and cook in the microwave. But I am holding her off until closer to a year.

Why, you ask, because she doesn't need it.

She is growing fine, sleeping great, not hungry, so why bother, once you start you have to feed them forever...and ever, like 20 years or more and every Thanksgiving and Christmas, lol!

Anyway,m we have some food allergies in our family so we always delay solids and #3 and #4 have no allergies to anything, so delaying solids works!

Also, i don't start just because they watch me eat, please, she watches me put on make-up but I am not letting her wear masscara.

When we sit at the dinner table we let her have toys in her high chair and she is happy as a clam. One day I might freeze up some breast milk in ice cubes and let her have those in a munchkin feeder, but that would take planning, haha!

Also some studies show that the iron in baby cereals, can mess up the perfect balance of iron in breastmilk and actually make the iron less easy to absorb and starting it too early can make your baby anemic, so we don't use iron fortified anything tell close to 1 year.

Kellymom is wonderful for solid startig guildlines, I saw in a PP where someone had already linked it.

One of the guidlines is the pincher finger grasp, Catherine at 8 months still picks up things with her fist so if for no other reason, she isn't ready to eat solids yet because of that.

Also the tongue thrust reflex, if you baby spits the food out it isn't because they need to learn to eat with a spoon or they don't like the food, it is because they are not ready fto eat solids yet and you need to wait.

Anyway, good luck deciding and about those family members that hassle you, just say thank you for your concern we are trying something new with our baby and we will let you know how it goes and smile
Wife for 16 years to Lance Sr. SAHM, homeschooling mom of 6, 4 boys and 2 little girls, Christian 18 , Lance 14 , Philip 8 , James 6 , and our little Princess Catherine 4 and Precious Baby Reagan 1
cupcakewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #23
Registered Users

well after reading on baby led weaning/self feeding while i was pregnant, i decided that i would met ds start at 6 monhts, or when he started grabbing off our plates and eating it. much to my surprise the grabbing and eating started just before 5 months. we let him have a few tastes after that (a pice of bread, a pickle, stuff like that) occasionally, but didnt actually start regularly til 6 months. now a 7.5 months, hes an eater- he wants whatever we have, and screams if we dont share, lol. no more redirection with a toy or spoon for my little man hes a piggy, and it hasnt affected his nursing at all, its still just as much as before

we dont do purees as a rule, we let him feed himself, although o do help sometimes with applesauce, or mashed potatoes, or if he wants some of my soup or something
single, working, student mama to Tristan born 10/1/07
On my way to becoming an ASL interpreter

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:

My little guy just turned 6 mos, and we've just started some rice cereal and mashed bananas. We started more for the experience than for nutrition. He's very interested in reaching for everything, and of course everything goes in the mouth. So far, he lets most of it run right back out, but i'm sure he'll get the hang of it soon.
oneblessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #25
Registered Users
My Mood:

All of my children started at different ages. My last one was the earliest, 1 week before he turned 4 months. He was still hungry after nursing, so I started him on farina. He took to it like a fish to water. He's now 8 months old and loves a good meal
Breastfeeding, Clothdiapering, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing Mamma Of 5. ISO:LOW Cost DiapersI'M PREGNANT AGAIN!!!
Jannah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #26
Registered Users
My Mood:

I started cereal at 6 mo. and just did it maybe once a day for a few months. Then upped it when she seemed ready. If she's giving you the look, I'd give in lol!
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #27
My Mood:

We started DD at 8 months w/ some sweet potato. We did her "official" first solids (w/ pictures and all that) since the next week, we were going to go visit my mom and my mom was wanting to feed her, but DH and I felt that it was our right as parents to experience her firsts together. Otherwise we might have waited until 9 months or longer.

DD loved solids from that first bite, and now eats anything that's set before her.
Andrea, child of God, wife of Tim, charting, sewing and authoring mama of L, B, ^i^ J, J, and G
Usborne Books & More - Ask me about DOUBLE FREE books!
New titles October 2015!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #28
Registered Users

5mths old. I followed the current guideline of around 6mths to start and we figured we might as well try and see and once we did ,there was no going back, she loves food just like her mommy!

Our Pediatrician also gave us a booklet called : Airplane, Choo-Choo, & Other Games Parent's Play- A feeding guide for the first two years.

Also, I referred often to the book What to Expect, The First Year
Laura - Beaverton, OR

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #29
Registered Users
My Mood:

My DD is 5 mos next week and I have NOT started yet - but she is so interested I MIGHT give it a try.

I found an all organic baby brown rice cereal at Target - I know cereal is looked upon as "junk food" or filler food but I have such food issues I am worried she will too (I am such a worry wart).

I may try in June sometime . . . I may not. I am torn.
Jenny: Wife to Danny & Mama to Reese (almost 3!)

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT

Last edited by reesesmom; 05-20-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: wording
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #30
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by calideedle View Post

And when you do I would stay away from Rice Cereal, there is no need for it, and do mashed up avacados/bananas/etc.
Agree!!! And Livie LOVES avacados/bananas... shhh, I think it's pretty tasty myself !

Olivia is just now REALLY diving into 'food' - we started because she wanted everyone elses at about 7.5/8 mos.

At 9 mos (18 lbs) she has either supper fine cut up pears or bananas w/some organic 'oat o's' OR some oatmeal n' applesauce mixed, no solids for lunch most days, and then she'll have some steamed fine cut up zuchinni, squash, sweetpototo, carrots, green beans, peas,corn, or potatos for dinner.

We don't puree much as she seems to gag on it (or the lack of the texture of it). I have pureed the ava/banana goop and even homemade soups when we eat them.
Meaghan, mama to 4 and WAHM behind PNPBaby Diapers, admin @ Avant Garde Congo for PNW Handcrafters! OR
Primm_n_Proper_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote