Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Ahhhhh!!!! Cub scouts. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I am so stinkin mad right now.

My oldest is in cub scouts (he is a wolf), anyways we had to turn in his registration for day camp today. All was fine.
On the forms was a place to say yes or no, my child can use a BB GUN, and yes or no to archery.

We said yes to the archery and no to the gun.

Well when my Hubby dropped off the forms the leader said my child was the ONLY one not allowed to use a bb gun, and here is the kicker. . . THERE IS NO ALTERNATE ACTIVITY!!! He has to just sit there, for 45 minutes and watch the other kids.

I know this is our decision, but I think they should be required to offer another activity to do. 45 min is a long time to just sit there.
The leader also tried to badger Dh into letting him do it. Grrrrrr!!!!!!

She made a lame excuse that the earler a child learns about guns and how to use them the better.
Ummm, he's 7.

I am not against guns, and Noah has shot a gun with Grandpa (although I wish they had asked if that was OK before they did it). I am sooo fusterated right now.

I just can't see that having more than 30 kids, that they would be supervised all that well.

What do you ladies think? Am I over reacting? Do you think they should have an alternate activity?

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
wendellg
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Ahhhhh!!!! Cub scouts. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I would never let my 7 year old play with a BB gun. I am not antigun, but I have explained to my DS #1 that guns are not toys. he does not play with toy guns or pretend to shoot people while playing. My brother and uncle are avid hunters and are anxiously waiting for the ok to take him hunting. I have said that maybe around age 13. My son is also a cub scout, getting ready to graduate to boy scout. We have thrown axes and fired bows but what do BB guns have to do with scouting? Is this a den event? If a permission form was required they should have been prepared for parents to say no and an alternative activity offered! I think I would be contacting the distract or regional leader!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I do know from experience that they are VERY well supervised at BS camp (at least here) and I am NOT anti-gun/hunting but I really see no reason that they can't come up with a more constructive activity for 7 year olds. I do think gun safety should begin early and preferably with something "safe" like a bb gun. My grandfather took every opportunity to teach us gun safety starting with toy guns. IMO that is where you start with a 7 year old not with a gun that shoots a real projectile. And I have never understood what guns have to do with scouting.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

IMO, learning to use a gun is something that is taught by the parents, or by someone chosen by the parents, in a well-supervised situation. I didn't learn to handle a gun until I was 13-14, and my dad was right beside me, at the Jaycee's hunter safety course. Not an appropriate activity for a group of 7-year olds, it's too easy for someone to screw around and have an accident.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you to the three mama's that replied. I am glad to hear I am not alone, in thinking 7 is too young for learning how to shoot.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

ITA with you!!

I think that leader first off is pretty crappy for being quite disrespectful of the decision you and DH have made. It's one thing to disagree, but to badger about it is terrible!

YES! They need another activity! Is there anyone else you can contact about this?
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
StacyW
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Camp is a VERY supervised activity and is very safe. I am anti-gun and I allowed my son to do BB guns because my hubby was a leader and could vouch for how well supervised the whole thing is.
StacyW is offline   Reply With Quote