Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: looking for dha/ara free formula

Well I would look a little further into the topic- those are essential fatty acids critical for brain and eye development they are present in bm and not present in formula unless added in. There is very good medical researching showing the benefit especially in preterm babies. It is well tolerated - the sad reason that I know more than I care to about DHA is that my first child has a metabolic condition causing a serious DHA deficiency and is blind and cognitively impaired as a result. He has to take more than 10 times the amount contained in formula and has no diarrhea or vomiting, nor has he ever. The modern North American diet is extremely low in essentail fatty acids. arg fussy child in one arm... i wish I could post some links. I'll try to get back to this

Advertisement

Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for sharing your story mama that is very important info too! Big to you and your DS
Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

*shrug*

I was almost exclusively formula fed on non Omegas formula (didn't exist) and I was a gifted child. My eyesight sucks, but nearly everyone in my family has glasses so that's more likely genetic than anything else. I have worse eyesight than my sister, and I was breastfed until 6 weeks, my sister *was* exclusively formula fed. Half again the price of normal iron rich formula for a *possible* point or two of IQ hardly seems worth it for me. Of course, a special needs baby is something else entirely, but for a normal baby?

While I can buy it's benefits in breastmilk, the fact that it's artificial omegas and not natural ones in formula makes me think that the same thing happens with them that happens with iron in formula - it's not well digested, and much of it ends up in their diaper, regardless of if it's well tolerated by little digestions or not. Not willing to spend an extra $10/can of formula so my daughter can have extra special poop. YMMV
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
kisskiss632
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

see, the thing that bothers me is that the lab made omega 3's are not the same as the ones that naturally occur in BM, but it is marketed that way... and the plain old formula is just fine, and cheaper. im all about it.

i do know one mom who gives her little one a tiny bit of fish oil with a feeding each day. i think that sounds better than some formula lab made fatty acid.

Last edited by kisskiss632; 05-19-2008 at 09:53 PM.
kisskiss632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #15
mother_04_07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i BF....but would like to see what said since i have many friends that FF
6/02 ~ 7/02~ 12/03 9/04 Born @ 38.0w LifeFlight/NICU/IA defect Surgery #1@3days old,#2 2/06, #3 11/09,#4 6/10,#5 8/10
7/2007born emergency c-section @39.0wIn STOCK Mama Cloth & PAST WORK
mother_04_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's nothing artificial about the DHA and ARA in formula it comes from algae- a natural source.
As you say, most normal babies will be ok either way, but DHA supplementation sure aren't a gimmick and there is very interesting research being done on DHA with ADD/ADHD, heart disease, depression, alzheimers. It's been proven to be important for preterm babies and in Europe DHA is in most if not all prenatal supplements. The time DHA is most important is in utero and in the first 9 months of a baby's life, but it continues to be important for all of us throughout our whole lives-- heck there is now even research clearly showing how important DHA is in cat and dog health.
There are consequences to not getting enough of an essential fatty acid and it's pretty much impossible to get enough in our diet unless you eat fish daily which isn't recommended due to the mercury problem in our fish.

The argument of "I didn't get it and I turned out just fine" doesn't hold water for me. I'm not looking for my baby to hopefully turn out fine, I'm looking for good nutrition, the best I can give especially when it comes to brain and eye health. The amount of special needs children I see especially those with atttention issues and developmental delays is staggering and there is plenty of good science to point to essential fatty acid deficiencies playing a role. I think the best comparison I can make is folic acid which is now a no brainer for pregnant women-- yet plenty of women who DID'T take folic acid had babies without neural tube defects. My mother didn't take folic acid and I turned out fine. It doesn't mean there isn't a link or it isn't important.

My MIL smoked and drank throughout all her pregnancies and all 4 of her children turned out to be big, seemingly healthy babies and high acheiving adults. It doesn't make me think I should do as she did.

I don't think it will be too long before all infant formula will be required to contain DHA/ARA. What IS probably pointless is paying extra for foods with wee bits of added DHA as they are now making like yogurts, juices etc It's added in such small quantities that people would be much better off to supplement properly.

Last edited by Griffinsmom; 05-20-2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #17
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should add that the amount of DHA in breastmilk is dependent on the mother's diet, so it's important for breastfeeding women to consume DHA rich foods or even better to take a good, mercury free fish or algae source DHA supplement. Expecta brand is algae based and mercury free and is readily avaialble in the USA at Target.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #18
momofkali
Registered Users

Lightbulb Re: looking for dha/ara free formula

After I read up on DHA & ARA I was REALLY worried about how the omega's were produced to be put in the formula.

Here is a website with some good products I used for my DS, and I was really happy with them.
http://www.naturesone.com/index.php
I got the soy formula and DHA. The DHA/ARA is naturally sourced from eggs not extracted by hexane from fungus or microalgae.

Last edited by momofkali; 05-20-2008 at 12:27 AM.
momofkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #19
momofkali
Registered Users

A little something to think about:
The following is the manufacturing process described by Martek:

“The oil is then separated from the dried biomass by hexane extraction and centrifugation and/or filtration, followed by winterization. The hexane phase undergoes additional centrifugation/filtration to remove solids then the winterized oil is heated and treated with acid. Subsequently, the oil is treated with caustic, centrifuged, bleached and deodorized.” 1 Learn more at Cornucopia Institute http://www.cornucopia.org/DHA/DHA_NewsRelease.pdf
Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #20
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm my understanding is: ARA is naturally occuring in egg yolk, but DHA is only in egg yolk of chickens fed a special DHA supplemented diet, so it's the same thing really unless you some how going through the chicken's system is helpful- it may be. I don't know That's the first I've seen of a product with that much non fish based ARA- which would be very helpful for my son's condition- awesome link. I have a couple of red flags going up with that company, based on that site so I need to do some research, but I'm excited about the prospect of not having to fuss so much about dietary ARA!