Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
ttatink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dyeing Diapers

OK, I never realized you could do this. I have some Proraps and prefolds that I'd like to dye. I have NO CLUE how to do it though! Could someone please tell me how? I'd like to do it this week while my MIL is here, a fun project for us to do together.

Advertisement

ttatink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dyeing Diapers

Prefolds are easy to dye, if you go to a craft store and buy the dye, it wil ltell you on there how much dye is needed per lb of fabric. I think with prefolds I have noticed to get hte deeper colors you need a bit more since alot of the fabric is inside, but maybe that was me. I dont use RIT but there is another brand out there, ( sorry I cant remember) and they have birghter colors IMO>
As far as prowraps go I dont know if you can dye these. but you could try it.
Oh and I dye my dipes in my sink, and let them soak for a while. like an hour or so. I dont use my washer since i have a hard time staying on top of it and the next thing I know all my dye has gone down the drain.
have fun. I love to dye, You can also buy a tie dye kit at walmart or a craft store if you want to tie dye. that is fun too
Old 05-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
ttatink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great thanks!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just dyed some PFs last Friday with Dylon dye from Wal-Mart. I ended up using a dish pan b/c I was scared that the dye would stain my enamel sink. I just followed the directions on the package.

They also had Rainbow Rock tie dye kits there at Wal-Mart for around $10, but they seem to take a bit longer to do. I wanted instant gratification, so I just dyed them solid colors~
Old 05-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
ttatink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I have a stainless sink so that's no big deal at least.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Ashleigh&Claytons_Mom
Registered Users

For those that have dyed dipes - is the dye safe for baby's skin? Are there more natural dyes you should use? And what about the care afterwards - is it okay to wash dyed dipes with other CDs or do you have to worry about the dye running?

Sounds like a fun and interesting project. I'd like to try it myself but am a little hesistant. Thanks!
Ashleigh&Claytons_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
archerneleri
Registered Users
seller

i just dyed some bum genius and prefolds with Rit purple dye and they looked awesome at first. but, you have to wash dipes on hot and the color just keeps coming out of them no matter how many times i wash. all my white dipes and microterry inserts are lavender now! i don't mind too much, but if i had tried more than one color all the colors bleeding would probably make them all a gross shade of brown
ramona ~ WAHM to archer (4/04) and eleri (1/06) and #3 lyra dillyn, due 1.26.08!
someday i'll stock again...Adora Be Be Boutique~ Custom and Boutique Hairbows
ISO: medium knit outer Hillbilly bunny fitteds. perhaps other medium Hillbilly bunnys too.
archerneleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
ttatink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you do a vinegar soak to set the dye before washing them? I know my mom used to have to do that when she dyed things (not diapers obviously if I remember her doing it ).
Old 05-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
lavieenrose
Registered Users
seller

I was looking at the dharma trading co page and it looked like there was a "fixer" or something you could use that sets the dye? They have a whole step by step thingy that shows you what you need to dye. I've never done it, but it seems like a good place to start... (I wasn't really any help at all, was I?)
lavieenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

I just did my prefolds last weekend with dylon. After washing 3 times they are no longer bleeding, to see if they are bleeding I just throw in a white under shirt with the diapers. Salt is a fixer, and I think you add three table spoons, the directions are on the package.

I have also died BG & prowraps with rit. The BG look good, but the prowraps come out weird. I am NAK, but will post a link with pics of the pro wraps in a min. HTH Emily
9800Emily is offline   Reply With Quote