Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

Our first EC experience! Plus some questions...

DD peed on the potty today! lol. She woke up from her nap and her diaper was half off, so I took her to the toilet, made a "psss" sound and she went pee!! She was smiling because I was so ecstatic lol. Well, I don't know if it was just good timing or what, but it motivated me to keep trying to EC more.

Questions...

What do you do when you nurse your baby to sleep? I still nurse Lacie to sleep 95% of the time and I assume she just kinda goes in her sleep after she conks out? Do they just learn the sensation and let you know?

Also, if I want to EC part time, will it confuse her if we are out and about and I expect her to go in her diaper? I want to PT EC, but I don't want to confuse her, kwim?

Advertisement

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Nadine
Registered Users

Re: Our first EC experience! Plus some questions...

what i have found (and have heard is quite common), is that my daughter does not pee when she is in a deep sleep. she will awake enough to pee then go back to sleep. during the night, she will kick her legs when she is about to pee, so i potty her and she'll go back to sleep.

as far as part time ec, children tend to be quite adaptable. many families ec part time and their children adapt.

we initially ec'd only at home, i was too nervous of ec'ing when we were out. but now that it is second nature for us, i have no choice but to ec when out. she'll fuss and squirm when she needs to pee, and we head to the bathroom. she does wear a diaper as backup, but it remains dry the majority of time.

i think that as far as ec'ing when out, it sounds a whole lot more daunting than it actually is. you can still keep a diaper on your baby for a miss, you don't have to go out diaper free. for us, it is hard for me to not answer her cues now because they are so obvious and she will get mad if i don't get her to a potty .

many of the families that i know that ec do it part time and it is fine. if your daughter potties at home but uses her diaper when out that is okay. she'll adapt. even just ec'ing part time helps keep the babies attuned to the sensation of releasing and helps them stay aware of those muscles they use to release.

btw, hooray for her peeing on the potty for the first time! it is so exciting isn't it?!
Nadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
FluffShop
Registered Users

Congrats on the first EC success!! It's so exciting!

I agree w/Nadine - babies are very adaptable. I had the same concerns because my Dh wasn't really on-board w/ECing at first. I didn't want to do it if it would only confuse her when DH doesn't answer her cues.

Turns out we only had about 2 weeks until DH did take her (for a poo!) and he was so amazed! She was very obviously holding it until he got her there and she just pooed and he wiped her. Flushed, washed and that's it. No stinky poopy dipe! - After that he was sold, lol.

We're still not out-and-about ECers b/c DH and I are germphobes and aren't quite sure how to handle it!

If you can't get her to a toilet or potty you can still make your cue sound so she continues to associate 'going' with the cueing sound. We don't due anymore since she can understand 'go to the bathroom, pee or poop' - and she responds accordingly (she's 8mos). We also sign the 'go to the bathroom ' sign and she has just this past week & a half been shaking her hand back and forth to sign! Truly amazing.

BTW - we are technically part-time ECers b/c I don't always have time to catch. She gets mad too but she has no choice! I have 3 other kids to tend to and one of them is her just-potty-trained sister.

Good luck!!
FluffShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

I EC'ed dd#2 part-time. I just put feel-wet diapers on her whenever we were home or somewhere easy to potty her, and put stay-dry types on her when I knew I wouldn't be pottying. That way she didn't get used to sitting in a wet diaper when we were out.

Megan
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
mosquitobite
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmama22 View Post
I EC'ed dd#2 part-time. I just put feel-wet diapers on her whenever we were home or somewhere easy to potty her, and put stay-dry types on her when I knew I wouldn't be pottying. That way she didn't get used to sitting in a wet diaper when we were out.

Megan
I'm planning on cloth diapering but would love to try EC part time as well. What would be considered feel-wet diapers vs stay-dry?
mosquitobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
BC Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
I'm planning on cloth diapering but would love to try EC part time as well. What would be considered feel-wet diapers vs stay-dry?
Cotton or hemp etc. diapers like prefolds/fitteds stay wet and pockets/AIO's usually have a microfleece or suede cloth inner that stay dry.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DD we are EC/PLing (its a mixture). At night I just use a diaper, thats what they are for. I dont take her potty at night, she goes right before and then after she wakes in the morning. She generally holds it or holds most of it at night and then floods the potty in the morning.

When we are out I generally use a diaper or a waterproof trainer with a little preemie prefolds trifolded inside for some extra protection but recently I have been using the 7th Gen pull ups because I dont have enough trainers now that she has outgrown all the ones that I made.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mom View Post
Cotton or hemp etc. diapers like prefolds/fitteds stay wet and pockets/AIO's usually have a microfleece or suede cloth inner that stay dry.
Thanks for jumping in for me! Spot on with the fabrics, I did want to clarify that some fitteds have microfleece or suedecloth inners and some AIO's have cotton or hemp inners (and now Swaddlebees has a OS pocket with OCV inner! Can't wait to try it when baby is born!) so the key is to check out what the fabrics are no matter what kind of diaper you are buying.

Megan
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

Thanks for everyone's responses! It has been 3 days since we started ECing, she has far exceeded my expectations. It is too funny, I originally started just to see what would happen, but none-the-less, everytime I bring her to do potty and I do our "psss" cue, she goes pee! My husband didn't believe me but I showed him and he couldn't believe it! I am basically doing it when we are home after feedings and before/after naps. I wonder how long it will take her to really develop a pattern for it. My goal was just to get her to associate the sensation with the action, once we get more comfortable I think we will be able to practice in public places too!

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
kstgelais4
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaferriere@berklee.net View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses! It has been 3 days since we started ECing, she has far exceeded my expectations. It is too funny, I originally started just to see what would happen, but none-the-less, everytime I bring her to do potty and I do our "psss" cue, she goes pee! My husband didn't believe me but I showed him and he couldn't believe it! I am basically doing it when we are home after feedings and before/after naps. I wonder how long it will take her to really develop a pattern for it. My goal was just to get her to associate the sensation with the action, once we get more comfortable I think we will be able to practice in public places too!
That's awesome!! I wish I felt I had the time to try it with Julia!
kstgelais4 is offline   Reply With Quote