Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
hillybean
Registered Users

My Mood:
What should I do at nap time??

Okay, so I really need everyone's opinion on this, because I'm not sure what to do! I'm a new mommy to a beautiful 3 month old baby girl. I really can't complain too much because she has truly spoiled me! She's on a great schedule, eats like her daddy, and only cries when she's wet or hungry...or if I put her in her crib to take a nap! Which is where my question comes in. Do I let her fuss it out? I've heard so much conflicting info on this which is why I'm so confused. The funny thing is at night time after we have a bath, bottle, and book, I swaddle her up in her miracle blanket and lay her in her crib to sleep and she sleeps for 7+ hours! No so much during the day She refuses to be swaddled during the daytime and sleep in her crib, and if she does fall asleep in her crib, it's 45 minutes at tops. She's been taking her naps in her papasan cradle swing for 2 months now, and can sleep as long as 2 1/2 hours in it. Do I leave well enough alone and just let her sleep in the swing? I would really love it if she would nap in her crib. It would also be more convenient when we are out of state visiting my parents and her swing isn't available. I would love to hear some tips/opinions/ideas mommies!! Thank you!!

Advertisement

Hi! I'm Hillary, mama to two beautiful girlies, Avery Lauren 2/15/08, and Carleigh Louise 8/16/10, and wifey to Trav the eternal romantic "There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going" ~Willy Wonka
hillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Sarahsdawn
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What should I do at nap time??

Aww, my DD loved the papasan swing! She would sleep for up to 5 hours in it! I would move it all over the house to whatever room I was in, if she wasn't in the sling.
I would follow your heart, when it comes to sleep. 7+ hours is great for such a young infant! You could also read the "no cry sleep soloution" by Elizabeth Pantley.
Sound like you are doing a great job, just keep listening to your mama voice!
to shortylucy!
My Facebook Page
Sarahsdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
LnJmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

He napped in a sling, on my chest, in the swing, or with me while I napped. His bed he did not like.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
merandus
www.hyenacart.com/mainstreet
seller

My Mood:

dont feel bad about swing napping! i did it with my son, it was the only way he would nap. you do what works!! but when they get too big for it....then you have to start crib napping, which can be scary. invest in earplugs then!!
good luck momma!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Shah'ada
formerly known as shahadag***
seller

My Mood:

I wear my babies when they're infants almost all day. I find they really just like mama close by when they're still new. They've always put themselves onto a napping schedule on their own at about 6 months - that's also when they start self-entertaining/etc. Maybe try a wrap (most comfortable for me for long periods of time).
Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I vote use the swing if that's where she sleeps best! Avery still sleeps in his sometimes, but he's right at the edge of the weight limit so not for much longer.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd was the same way. If she wanted to nap in her swing I just let her but would still try laying her down in her crib every couple days. Eventually she was ok with the crib. It helped if she was already asleep when I layed her down. I am thinking it was close to 6 months when she finally started napping in her crib.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

My oldest boy did the same thing mamma. Nothing I did changed that. We rode it out till he was around 6-7mos and it's like a switch flipped, he went to sleeping in his crib no problem. Honestly, I found it easier to bring the swing with us places knowing that he'd sleep without any problem. It was harder getting our other two boys to sleep for naps in strange places because it didn't feel/sound the same if that makes sense. It won't hurt her at all. The only harm will come from your pocketbook-batteries are expensive!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

My youngest is 2 months and he is having trouble sleeping in the chaos that is our house- 3 big brothers are LOUD! So he can't sleep much in his swing or bouncy seat. We're working on a schedule right now but this little guy doesn't like to be put down.
He sleeps well at night- probably because he is exhausted from not napping properly during the day.
I suspect he is overstimulated and that is making it difficult to nap during the day as well- let's face it- even I am overstimulated!

Try putting your dd in her crib/bassinet 2 hours after she wakes up all day long- follow a routine similar to your night time one that works for you- Good Luck!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids both did the same thing. I wouldn't worry about putting her to nap in the swing for now, especially if you need the time for you. I would try every few days, it seemed, to try the crib again- but if I knew there was a job that I needed to get done, I would just use the swing. As my boys got older, I did use the crib more. My 10 month old still will not nap more than 30 minutes in his crib~ as a matter of fact, I put him in his swing for his afternoon nap today.