Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
Kmama in TX
Registered Users
seller

Re: DD scared of everything? She's 9. HELP ME.

I also meant to add you should check out the food allergy/diet angle. Try this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
It addresses how food allergies can affect behavior and has done wonders for several people I know.

I've been refreshing my memory to answer your email about homeopathy...I know a little about it and other natural remedies and this is one book that popped to mind immediately. I've got a couple more books I'm checking, if I find anything good you can borrow them (I don't have "Is This Your Child?" though).

Advertisement

Kmama in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the link! Will definately check that book out! Sounds like it has a ton of good reviews.
bethkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
Kmama in TX
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethkay
I try not to get mad at her for being scared of everything, because I know it isn't her fault. But I think it is more that I am mad that I have to see her suffering. No one wants to see their baby suffer. I just don't want her to live her life afraid. And then again, what if it's nothing and it passes? Or what if it's not, and I wait too long to do anything about it?
I totally understand!

Quote:
She seems confident with herself, but scared to try new things.

Her school teachers seem nice and they say she participates, but could talk a little louder. I wish she felt more comfortable with the other kids. She likes them, but I think she is afraid to approach them alot of the time.
It really does sound like the root issue is self-confidence. When you have a child who naturally tends to be shy (and from what I've seen of your dd, I'd say she does, mine does too) developing that and teaching them to take self-initiative takes a little more effort and encouragement on our part.

I emailed ya too!
Kmama in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #14
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

Worked on praising tonight. Gonna get that self -esteem up! Also going to check up on that book link right now.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

I was like this somwhat as a kid - i was afraid of certain things and couldn't get over it.

You mentioned praying so i'm going to assume you are religious. I have found with my anxieties/fears that spending time praying and talking to God about my fears ad asking him to take them away helps a lot - b/c it helps restructure how my brain processes those worries. You might start working on this with bedtime, spend time praying with your daughter beforebed specifically about her fears, and maybe choose a bible verse to memorize about not being afraid. There is one in Psalms that has a line something like this "he will comfort you with his presence and under his wings you will find refuge, you will not fear the terror of the night" that i like a lot.

Sometimes anxiety spirals more and more out of control until something comes to put a stop to it. If it continues i would recommend a counselor but not drugs - studies have found that talk therapy is more effective than meds for anxiety issues.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #16
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much! I will definately start praying with her about it. I've been praying alone about it, but including her will probably make a big difference.

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I am feeling inspired now! I am going to get my girl back on track.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #17
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I did not read each and every post so sorry if this one has gotten brought up. have you ever thought about OCD? There are several different symptoms/variations and fears are in fact one of them. I have it, mine was not "brought on" until puberity began ~ about 9ish. My older dd is believed to have it but hers is due to stress in utero so she's had it since birth. Something to look into.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #18
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did think about OCD. I am just not real familiar with the signs of it. I will look into that.

What were the early symptoms or signs? Is there anything in particular that I should watch for?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #19
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you looked into Sensory Integration Disorder. I am currently reading a book called "The Out Of Sync Child" as we are going to get my oldest ds tested for this. It can help explain low esteem and abnormal fears along with possible other things that at times can seem normal behaviors.
GL,
heidi
Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #20
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I will definately check that out. Thanks for the tip and good luck with your ds.