Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #21
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: DD scared of everything? She's 9. HELP ME.

Just a quick update.

While dd still has some scared issures, she seems to be doing better. I've taken all the advice given and it has been so helpful!

I am being much more hands on with her issues and walking her through stuff and that has really helped. I am hoping she will continue to improve. Just showering her with love and praise for now.

She's even enjoying outside now! Woohoo. Got some great suggestions from you all. I truly appreciate it. It has really made a huge difference.

I guess we all need a little help and it's ok to ask, right? Thanks so much!!

Beth

Advertisement

bethkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #22
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

this to me sounds more like an anxiety disorder. My brother in law has anxiety problems when he gets in crowds of large people or in stores. He gets really nervous and kind of freaked out.

I hope all goes well with this and if it continues, definately seek counseling for her.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #23
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, she definately has anxiety! I think she thinks something will hurt her. Like a bee will sting her or a bug will bite her or a skunk will spray her.

She said if she flushes the toliet, she thinks "something" will hear it. What "something" is, I don't know!

She is also very afraid of dogs. Afraid of swimming lessons. She has had about 4 years of lessons, and still won't voluntarily put her head under.

She is scared of the dark or going outside at night. We saw a skunk in our yard once, so she thinks it is there at night.

I don't know why she is so afraid of these things? Is it my fault, I secretly fear them all too! Am I projecting this on her? I don't know! I mean, I am not petrified by any means, but if I she a dog or bee, I get a little uncomfortable. But I surely don't let her know.

She does seem to be doing better though. We are working on it together!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #24
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethkay View Post
Yes, she definately has anxiety! I think she thinks something will hurt her. Like a bee will sting her or a bug will bite her or a skunk will spray her.

She said if she flushes the toliet, she thinks "something" will hear it. What "something" is, I don't know!

She is also very afraid of dogs. Afraid of swimming lessons. She has had about 4 years of lessons, and still won't voluntarily put her head under.

She is scared of the dark or going outside at night. We saw a skunk in our yard once, so she thinks it is there at night.

I don't know why she is so afraid of these things? Is it my fault, I secretly fear them all too! Am I projecting this on her? I don't know! I mean, I am not petrified by any means, but if I she a dog or bee, I get a little uncomfortable. But I surely don't let her know.

She does seem to be doing better though. We are working on it together!

does she have nightmares? or bad dreams?
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #25
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

No, she doesn't have nightmares or bad dreams. Once she goes to sleep, she sleeps good. She usually enjoys her dreams and tells me about them the next day.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #26
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Haven't read all the responses, but just wanted to say that my 9 year old was like this, too, and she was diagnosed with anxiety disorder about a year ago. She's been in counseling that has helped tremendously.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #27
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would love to hear more about her treatment and what the counseling entails. Going to PM you, hope that is ok.