Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How much is too much?!!?

I was reading information about starting solids . . .my younger lo 5 months is eating rice cereal, thick like oatmeal. He was showing all the readiness signs and he opens his mouth to eat, sucks the food off his fingers, turns his head when full . . .here's the thing he eats at least three tablespoons of thick cereal in the evening. I mix two 1/2 of bm with the cereal. . .
I only feed it to him once a day as I'm bf'ing, but he only goes two hours between feedings, I was hoping this would help. He still nurses an hour to 30 minutes after eating the cereal! The reason I like the cereal is that it is the only time he doesn't spit up after eating!

Anyhow I was just reading that babies that age should only get 1 to 2 TEASPOONS of solids at a time! He would be soooo mad if I stoped at that! Heck that would be two spoonfulls of food!
My older DS never ate like this, I had to give him watery cereal and he still wasn't ready until 6 months to eat . . .

So how much is too much???? I'm thinking of giving him some avocado's mixed with bm this weekend and seeing how he does. . . .

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much is too much?!!?

Oh he drinks 12-15 oz's of bm during the day while I'm at work (7-3) and then nurses 5-7 more times in the evening/night. So that's an average of ten feedings every 24 hours. This does not include the one cereal feeding. I'm pumping three times a day for this kid and still feeding him all the time. I can't wait until we get out for summer break in two weeks so I don't have to pump. . . .

Last edited by foxygoober; 05-21-2008 at 06:56 AM.
foxygoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Pierced
Registered Users
seller

I would just keep doing what you're doing, it sounds like he's still getting plenty of breastmilk, which is the most important thing.

Avocados are good too, I think as long as you're not rushing too many things at once and checking for reactions for a few days it's fine.
Pierced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
alidb36
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son is a HUGE eater...he definitely ate a few tablespoons of rice cereal when he was young. I never heard about limiting it to 1-2 tbsp. I would say if your son is happy, don't worry too much!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Avocados are a high alergen food I believe. I would stay away from those.

My dd is 5.5 months old. she takes about 24 oz of formula a day, and eats 2-3 tablespoons of thick cereal and one cube of either a fruit or veggie (we have been through, applesauce, banannas, pears, sweet potatoes, carrots, acorn squash, yellow squah, zuchinni, and brocoli)

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Avocados are a high alergen food I believe. I would stay away from those.

Nope, they are a PERFECT beginning food!

Solids should not be introduced until ATLEAST 6 months, FYI! BM or formula is the MAIN source of nutrition the first year and ALWAYS nurse baby before you give them solids!