Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Potty issues

My dd will be 3 in September. She has shown signs of wanting to use the potty, but yesterday, I put a of panties on her and she held her pee for 6 hours. No kidding. Six hours. She obviously has control. She sat on the potty and "leaked" out some, but wouldn't go. We gave her a bath and I figured she pee'd in the tub, but when I put her nighttime diaper on, she filled it to the brim in about 30 seconds flat.

My first pl'ed in about 2 weeks and she was exactly two, although she was much more verbal. So, needless to say, I want this done. I know, I know, different kid, etc.

Suggestions to help her break that seal? LOL

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
TLDmom
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Potty issues

I'd let her run around bottomless during the day, and when she starts to pee take her to the potty so that she'll understand where it goes.

I know potty training isnt fun, my son now 3 1/2 is just getting it
TLDmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

As soon as she does her BM, she's either in panties or bottomless. I don't trust her to go bottomless for that one, not yet! LOL

ETA: Then, I have to put a diaper on her when we get her sister from school. She gets me then. ARGH!

Last edited by Namaste; 05-31-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
It's A Snap Diapers
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Do you think sshe understands and just won't? or do you think she really isn't understanding?
It's A Snap Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
rmz1217
Registered Users

My Mood:

someone suggested to me once pouring a little warm water between her legs while she is sitting on the toliet. IF she has to go bad enough that just may open the flood gates. (I personally have not tried it but it is a thought).
rmz1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
As soon as she does her BM, she's either in panties or bottomless. I don't trust her to go bottomless for that one, not yet! LOL

ETA: Then, I have to put a diaper on her when we get her sister from school. She gets me then. ARGH!

i used to do this too...we went bottomless at home and then when we went out she wore a diaper...just lately we had a no more diapers chat and we've gone cold turkey.. i think it was confusing for her..that sometimes she wore dipes and sometimes not..so we got some great trainers from inspiration on hc...and we're on day 4 w/ less and less accidents everyday (only one today!)
Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd used to hold it for hours as well and she could sit on the potty and cry for a diaper while holding it. Then she would wait until naptime for her diaper to have a BM
I used to put dd feet in warm water After a few time that she went and I she wanted to go more and more, it was just a matter of getting her to go the first few times that did it. I found that the Bm soon followed and the "treats"(mostly stickers or tattoos) I offered helped as well.
Good Luck
Old 05-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

DS did that, too. I started giving him special treats when he would go. I would give him very watered down juice if he would try to pee, and if he actually did, I would give him raisins. The raisins were my best idea ever- it totally regulated his BMs (he used to hold them until nap time). After 2-3 days, he was having a BM 15-20 minutes after he got his raisins.

I know not everyone is a fan of bribing/treats for PLing, but it really helped at our house. We also went totally crazy with clapping, cheering, and calling friends/grandparents who would also make a huge, positive deal out of him having gone "pee potty". I actually think that might have been a bigger deal to him than the treats. Even now, he'll sometimes want to call a grandparent to tell them about a particularly impressive BM.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
lauralyn1
Registered Users

My Mood:

I tried the warm water thing and it didn't work for my DS, but I know it works for some.

When first PLing, we had big-time celebrations for success on the potty. I never did the reward thing as he was a bit young to care much, but man was he praised. We clapped and sang and he LOVED it! We did this regardless of how much or little he went (I had everyone- older DD, dad, guests, I would even call people and tell them "Chase pottied on the potty!" )That was motivation for doing it more often. I think once you get past those first few potties it will be easier.

PLing my DS to poo in the potty was the SAME as your DD. He would actually bring the diaper to me to put it on him so he could go. I allowed it and then would bring the diaper to the toilet and put it in, saying, "this is where poo is supposed to go". I also had an open-door policy to the bathroom. When anyone in the house would go, we would bring Chase w/ us and say, "I am going pee (or poo) in the potty now because this is where pee (or poo) belongs." The other key was allowing him privacy. He doesn't like to poo in front of others. He does want us to look at it in the potty before he flushes and he wants the praise- but no one can be in the bathroom when he's pooing.

One other thing he liked. I kept off-brand fruit loops in the bathroom. He loves peeing on them. He doesn't really aim for them, he just thinks it's funny to see them move when he pees. Maybe your DD would find that fascinating as well?

I know some of my comparisons don't exactly equate, but who knows, one of them may help?
lauralyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

With my DD I just had to do it. No more diapers. I put her panties and did not leave the house for several days, and she got it.

She is absolutely TERRIFIED of the big potties (at home and in public) so she does wear a pull up while out, but she can hold it too (figured that out at our last grocery shopping trip).

I am going to buy a travel potty for her to use in the car for that reason.