Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
Ruth
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I am just really worried! Fevers up to 104.7!

It might not be a virus. It might be like my ds had and a more serious bacterial blood infection. I can't remember what the med was they gave him in the hospital and then for 2 wks after release, might have been keflix or omnicef, can't recall. That white count seems really really high though, the ER dr said if ds's had been above 25000 they would have sent him to the children's hospital but it was down to 24 so they kept him local. I would just watch him VERY closely and if you still feel something is wrong or he doesn't look well I would take him to the ER immediately. Personally I would take him to the ER or urgent care and try to get a second opinion. They can get dehydrated soo fast with fevers that high, even with drinking fluids.

Oh and ds did end up with secondary pneumonia too. Not sure if it was from his immune system using all the energy to fight the bood infection or if the blood infection had spread to the lungs. Either way it was not fun. They kept him in the hospital until his xrays were clear and his wbc was below 12000. Good luck and keep us posted.

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #22
Javamama
HAHA! Wait. What?
seller

My Mood:

hugs.
i know how you feel. dd has had a virus and now i am paranoid ds will get it.
i just am SO over the sickies this year.

Javamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #23
mommaof2boys
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd be a little more assertive with the doc's. It's strange how it's constantly up and down but never at a normal temp even with tylenol and motrin. I would be wanting to know more.
mommaof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #24
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

They are supposed to let me know what the results are of the other test on Tuesday.. they are doing a blood culture on that one so maybe we will have some more answers then?
On another note, he has not went over 102.2 since this morning and right now his temp is 99.4! I'm hopeful we are at the end of this ordeal and he just keeps improving from here on out!!!
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #25
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know mama but my 2cents on amoxicillin (sp?) is it doesn't do squat. we've used a few others...but without truly runninng tests I don't think they should prescribe just cause...and I only say that because my lo has been ABiotic'd to no end. this last round I just stopped it and prayed it didn't get worse cuz it was messing his stomach up bad. many say ab don't work...many cases they don't. Personally *SOME* have worked *A GOOD BIT*of the time and *SOME* didn't do squat or the problem would return shortly after being off of them. kind of like they just kind of mask the symptoms. i hope you get it figured out...off to read more of the posts. augmentin and omnicef were others we used...but i get confused between brand name and generics without having the info right here.

Last edited by Weezy6703; 05-23-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #26
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Yep first he put him on Zithro, today was his last day to take that one.. but then yesterday he prescribed amox to take along with the Zithro.. he said sometimes you need to add another to kick out whatever is going on.. then today he changed it to omnicef, but he is to stop with the amox. I'll just be glad when whatever this is goes away. I want my guy happy again.. he is so unhappy. Today when they took his blood he was such a big boy.. he whined a little bit but he was so brave and held still for them. I don't think he has much energy left to protest a whole lot at this point. He has lost weight, he was just about 29lbs (28.8 to be exact) and now he's 27lbs. Doesn't sound like a whole lot, but for a little guy like him it shows. Ah well I know we are turning a corner here and he will gain it back plus more.

Last edited by *Alabamamom*; 05-23-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typos!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #27
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

He went back up to 103.4 by 6pm and I just checked him again and it's 103.2. ARGGG!! Why does it seem the tylenol brings his fever down faster and better than the motrin? I just notice on the motrin dosing I'm having to give him Tylenol within a couple hours or so because his temp is way up again... it doesn't seem to take it down much at all to begin with.
Another long night coming it looks like..
Old 05-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #28
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to give you mama, I've been reading but hadn't posted yet. I think some kids bodies just respond to different meds better, our kids are the opposite with the motrin/tylenol situation. I'll say some prayers for your little guy tonight. We had a similar situation a while back and they told us not to worry too much that LOs could handle the high fevers, I know it's scary but hopefully his body is just working it all out and it will be gone soon. Keep us updated.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #29
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I'm literally in tears... another bad night with fevers, up every 3 hours. Up in the 103s each time! Right now 103.7 .. At least it's not in the 104s right?!?! Ladies, why is this going on so long??? I don't remember any of the other kids having fevers for this long.. These fevers started over two weeks ago now. He is miserable.. he has that weak look in his eyes and just keep laying around. They did the cbc and blood culture, what more can they do at this point?????
Old 05-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #30
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd still probably take him to the er--Tuesday is a long time to wait if he keeps having high fevers the whole time. I'm so sorry for your little guy, and for you mama!

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote