Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Trying to lose weight while breastfeeding

Hi mamas! I need to lose about 30 lbs. I'm breastfeeding DD. I don't have the money for weight watchers, although I have all the information... could do it on my own. My question is, has anyone successfully lost weight without compromising their milk supply? What's the secret? Tips? Suggestions? Ideas? I just need some help.

Advertisement

RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
teaghansmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trying to lose weight while breastfeeding

i lost a lot of weight while breastfeeding and it didn't effect my milk supply at all. i read the book "Eat Well, Lose Weight while Breastfeeding" and just managed portions, ate healthy and walked. You have to make sure to eat enough protein and calories to keep up.
I have a copy FSOT if you are interested....
Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
jason&jilliansmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do it gradually. I lost about 20lb in 4 months doing WW and had no problems with my supply. I exclusively breastfed and dd wasn't on solids yet and she did great. If you've researched WW at all, you are supposed to eat about 12 extra points a day for nursing and believe me you'll still lose weight. Dont' lose anymore than 1-2lb week and you'll be fine. good luck!!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

I lost my baby weight, well almost... 5 lbs away 50 lbs while bfing, my milk supply hasn't been compromised at all. Just make sure you take your prenatals, as long as you are eating nutritious foods, your supply won't be affected. Eating a ton of fruits and veggies is great while BFing and has virtually 0 fat and minimal calories. Try to eat foods as whole and pure as possible. If a food has more than 10 ingredients in the contents, toss it!!! For me, the biggest thing is just not buying junk, if it's in the cupboard, it will be eaten! My husband loves junk but I said, NO! WE are eating healthy so no junk, period. Oh and liquid calories is tricky. Soda, coffee w/ lots of cream/sugar, juices, even milk. No whole milk! 8oz of whole milk has more calories than 12 oz of cherry pepsi!! I checked the other day, crazy right?? My midwife also told me to watch the milk while bfing because it can dehydrate you... those do no good so I cut most of that out. You'd be surprised how many calories you consume w/o even knowing it! I also limit animal consumption.. I try to get the majority of my protein from beans and fish. Healthy diet will actually be great for your milk. Good luck.

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Those are great suggestions, mamas. I guess it just comes down to making more healthy choices and getting exercise.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im listening to this thread too. I am almost 6mths pp and have lost about 40lbs by just watching what I eat. I am starting to slow down in how much weight Im loosing so Im thinking of joining weight watchers too. Great ideas everybody!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

I'm 5 mos pp... have lost 45 lbs since I had DD. But I had gained 50, and I was overweight to begin with. I'd still like to lose another 30. ugh. I've been stuck lately, but I'm probably just eating the wrong things. In fact, I know I am. Okay, time to get back on track. Thanks, mamas!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hey momma, lets be weight loss buddies! I am bfing and have to lose ALOT of weight! I am 5'1" and 196 pounds, ugh.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

you can do it mama!! just eat healthy and drink a ton of water and it will come off!
edens_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

I just re-joined ww online today (was a member when i got pregnant) and they do give u extra points for nursing so I definately think WW is doable while bf Its crazy, my son is almost 2 weeks old and I've lost close to 5lbs since the day I came home from the hospital (pathetic I know but I weighed myself as soon as we walked in the door )-I know I'm still losing fluids from the pregnancy but I do think nursing has helped too! sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote