Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Burning Nips -- HELP

A little background. . . BFing has never been painful for me. Not even at the beginning. I just found out I am 6 weeks pg and am still nursing my 9 mo (at least until she is 1 yo) and the past week or so my nipples burn while she is nursing. I've checked them and there is still milk coming out so it's not a lack of milk that makes them burn. . . So what's making my nips burn and is there anything I can do to help it?

Also, can nursing increase your chance of MCing? When I started nursing DD in the hossy, the nurse said that nursing makes your stomach muscles contract to expel the afterbirth etc. . . can nursing cause your muscles to contract in the early stages of pregnancy and cause a MC? Or is that just a silly fear?

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Burning Nips -- HELP

I started to feel the same thing last weekend... it got so bad my nipples cracked and bled. SO, I went to the nursing station and discovered we have thrush : ( Thats usually what the burning means. Im treating it with Gentian violet and it seems to be getting better. Not fun at all, hopefully thats not what you have but I would find out soon. It can get so painful when your baby latches on that you'll want to scream... I think I did once : ( Hope that helps, good luck.
mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think your are more prone to thrush when pg too...
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, they aren't cracked or anything, just painful. I'll have to see a mw soon, so I'll get them to check for thrush when I do though. . .
Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Monzie
Registered Users

Since Aunt Flo returned a few months ago, I've found that my nipples burn and are super-sensitive when I'm premenstrual. Its feels the worst when my babe first latches and my milk lets down and then it gradually gets better as he sucks. Apparently, nipple tenderness and burning is a pretty common hormonal thing. And since first trimester pregnancy is all about wacky hormone surges, maybe that's what you're experiencing too. Who knows.

Kellymom.com says that the "thrush burn" is generally worst after you finish nursing. So, when are you feeling it? Early or late (or all the time)?
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
clkafka
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzie View Post
Since Aunt Flo returned a few months ago, I've found that my nipples burn and are super-sensitive when I'm premenstrual. Its feels the worst when my babe first latches and my milk lets down and then it gradually gets better as he sucks. Apparently, nipple tenderness and burning is a pretty common hormonal thing. And since first trimester pregnancy is all about wacky hormone surges, maybe that's what you're experiencing too. Who knows.
I agree.

I wouldn't worry about miscarriage, but you can talk to your doc. I have a history of miscarriage and I bf my older ds for the entire first trimester when I was pregnant with twins. The only thing that happened to me was that I lost 20lbs!
and Izabelle & Maraliese, Jan 17, 2008

Trying to live each day for Him
ISO: ML GADs, M SS BB Minky & SS girly Fitteds.
clkafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzie View Post

Kellymom.com says that the "thrush burn" is generally worst after you finish nursing. So, when are you feeling it? Early or late (or all the time)?
I only feel it when she is latched on. So I guess it's just super sensitive nips because of hormones. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkafka View Post
I agree.

I wouldn't worry about miscarriage, but you can talk to your doc. I have a history of miscarriage and I bf my older ds for the entire first trimester when I was pregnant with twins. The only thing that happened to me was that I lost 20lbs!
That would be a good thing. I am about 25 lbs overweight right now and I usually gain WAY too much when pg so losing some (providing both my dds are still healthy) would probably be a good thing, huh?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Monzie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinflame13 View Post
I guess it's just super sensitive nips because of hormones. . .
I tell ya, when I'm hormonal, my left nip burns/tingles so badly that I have to bite my lip when Oscar first latches on to keep myself from screaming. And then I sit there for the first couple of minutes with my toes curled up, trying not to hyperventilate. It hurrrrrrrts!

Hopefully, this is just a pregnancy-related phase that passes quickly for you. Hang in there, momma!
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can have thrush without the cracking. Thrush is generally just a bad burning sensation, it gets a bit worse with the actual let down, and then isn't so terrible (but still painful) for the rest of the nursing session. It can get worse quickly, so I suggest taking a probiotic or treating with grapeseed extract to the nipples (both are safe for nursing and pregnancy) as a just in case!