Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
MamaBink
Registered Users
seller

MIL is driving me crazy

She is insistant that I should be giving my 12-week-old rice cereal. Apparently, he's fussy in the evening because he needs more than just my milk now Um yeah, giving him rice cereal isn't going to make him less colicky. It's just going to wreck havoc on his little tummy and my milk supply.

Advertisement

L born 01/11
MamaBink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
onejadedlyric
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: MIL is driving me crazy

Seems everyone's answer is rice cereal to sleep longer.... I didn't buy into that either. Seems like it's always more about the grown up than the baby. I had to hear the cereal thing from a lot of people for the first 6 months. I just wanted to make sure that his little tummy & digestive system was ready for it. Sure, there were moments when I second guessed myself but we made it through. DS never starved, milk supply never dwindled & trust me, his weight never suffered Good luck Mama! I'm sure that she has good intentions but stick to what it is that you want to do with you lo.

Truly Blessed!!! Proud mom of DS (5/21/2006) & DD (3/17/2008)
Happily married to my amazing DH & BFF since 4/19/2003
onejadedlyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I told mil that I was going by what my ped, the academy of pediatrics and my own gut told me and by my tone implied that meant it was not open for debate and she let it go. Setting boundaries with her was oh so much fun when ds #1 was born, but now she knows that she can't push me into something and so she's backed off completely and has actually become pretty supportive.
Depending on your relationship and how much you wnat to cater to her, you could print off some articles for her to read. I try to put myself in their shoes-- what if 25 years from now there are some recommendations that are different from we did when MY kids were little? Will I be able to keep my mouth shut and what would it take to help me understand? She's probaly coming from a place of legit concern for her much loved grandbaby.
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, my mil phopnes dh everytimes she's sees out 15lb 10 week old (yeah, you read that right lol, he looks like a 6 month old!) and tells him he needs water or food - we just say "he's fine" the Dr said ect, my dd was bf for 6 months no food as she's super healthy. She never lets it go but whatever...Just so you know, lol you're not alone!
Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
tlaquepaque
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

QUOTE=MamaBink;3667396]She is insistant that I should be giving my 12-week-old rice cereal. Apparently, he's fussy in the evening because he needs more than just my milk now Um yeah, giving him rice cereal isn't going to make him less colicky. It's just going to wreck havoc on his little tummy and my milk supply.[/QUOTE]

I remember with my first my grandmother told me that I needed to give him cereal at 4 weeks old. I told her that I would start him at 6 months and she said he would starve to death by then. I just smiled and said thanks for your concern and I'll make sure he's not hungry. I just thought it was amusing especially when he turned out to be a 20 lbs 6 month old on just breastmilk.

This time around no one has given any advice.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know who started the whole rice cereal helps baby sleep rumor because I've never met anyone thats actually worked for.

My MIL advised me to put a little whisky in a bottle of milk for dd1 when she was around a year old to help her sleep. Apparently she used to do this with DH. I'm amazed he's not an alcoholic now!

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

I'm right there with you. MIL always asks why our 7 month old really is still only breastfeeding/ not really eating solids...etc.. Funny thing is, minutes later she'll comment on how nice and fat he's getting and how happy he seems....
Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Blah! Why do people hound you when it's the magical 3 month mark? When DD turned 3 months old I got the "when are you going give her REAL food" crap from the IL's.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
MamaBink
Registered Users
seller

I'm kind of worried about having her babysit him now. She gave my older son rice cereal around 8 weeks without my knowledge. Her reasoning was that our ped was already having us put a little in his bottles to help with reflux. I hadn't specifically told her not to though. I guess this time around I need to make it perfectly clear that he will not be having anything other than mama's milk before six months.
L born 01/11
MamaBink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
harvestsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have waited til the six month mark with all four of my lo's. They are always fine as far as weight goes until I ween them then they are "under weight" WHATEVER!! But as far as the colic goes I only had one that appeared to have a problem with it. I went to a nutritionist and he put me on natural prenatals and vitamin D and calcium. Taking about 15 a day. within two days she never had a problem again.
happy to be married to Dustin 9/21/02 mom to Gabriel 4/7/98 reagan 10/26/03 Harvest 9/2/05 cry: : and Liberty 4/22/07. And coming in January baby #5, It's a girl!! WAHM making leggies, burp cloths, receiving blankets.
harvestsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote