Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
New here and have a question

Hello I am not new to DS but new to this board. I had my DD#2 a little more a month ago. I am breastfeeding her, thing is that she wont take a bottle. You see when she was born she had bad jaundice so they said to breastfeed and use formula. I was ok with it, we did it for a week and they said I could go back to just breastfeeding. She was maybe a week old when this happened, so we have just been doing breastfeeding for about 3 wks or so. I was told to induced the bottle again with breast milk around now since I was only doing the breastfeeding and no bottle anymore. We have been trying it seems my DD HATES the bottle. I pump and she wont take the bottle she wants mommys breast. Its kinda hard at times because I am not always home so poor DH has issues feeding her. I left her with MIL and she had a hard time feeding her as well. I dont know why she is doing this because before she took the bottle just fine, she didnt love it but took it. This time she wont take it at all. We have tried several bottles too. I didnt know if anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do. I just feel like I cant leave the house because she wont get anything eat. Also when we go out I dont like to nurse in front of ppl or anything like that(have been since she wont take the bottle) but its easier to just pump and feed it by the bottle. Since she wont take the bottle I cant do that.

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
MRL2611
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New here and have a question

My Dakota is going on 4 months and refuses all bottles and pacifers. I finally just stopped offering them. The girls knows what she wants, lol.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

Have you tried different nipples, brands, etc.? Sometimes you have to go through a few brands before you find something that will work. Maybe try a sippy cup, a regular cup, medicine dropper, or even a clean syringe?

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1 of the top 10 things a mom can do to help insure a great lengthy nursing relationship is to learn to nurse outside the home. I know scary right, but the sooner you get comfortable the better for both of you.

Try practicing in front of a mirror at home with a blanket, you will be able to see that others can't see anything and most people won't even know what you are doing.

I don't leave my nurslings much as infants because they ned thier mommy and prefer them, haha, over just about anyone else, so if you don't have to leave her I wouldn't even worry much about a bottle.

Some babies just prefer the real deal!
Old 05-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dakota lol I loved that btw. Nice to see another girl named that I was told it was a boys name not to name her that.

Anyway, nursing outside the home it depends on where I am. Like my moms, sisters or MIL I dont mind at all. The other day we went out grocery shopping, we brought a bottle. She wouldnt take it, we were in the parking lot of Wendys and I had to nurse her in the Blazer. That was out of my comfort zone doing that to tell you the truth. I am a SAHM but do like to go out at times. I left her with MIL for only a few hours because I went out to eat with my oldest. Dh and I like to go out too and if I cant get her to feed we wont be able to.
I have tried other nipples. We have Soothie she had no issues taking them when we had to do it. We have Parents Choice too that she wont take.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a similar situation with my youngest DS. He was exclusively taking my milk from bottles in the NICU for almost 5 weeks. When I brought him home, I had to cut out bottle all together to get him back to the breast. Then, after a couple of months of all breast, he didn't want a bottle. We tried a few different nipples. Finally, the only thing he would take was a Haberman feeder, which I think they now call a Special Needs feeder from Medela.

But, I agree that if you can get comfortable with NIP, that is the best thing for a long successful BFing relationship. It took me a few babies before I really felt comfortable. I found that wearing nursing tops really helped me. I think that blankets and nursing shawls call more attention. I was able to nurse without people realizing I was by just using the nursing top to cover any exposed breast. Also, you can try nursing in the sling. It takes practice, but it is so inconspicuous and you can do that anywhere.

Good luck, mama.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I guess I will try out using a blanket or anything to get more comfy with it!
Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always nurse dd3 out in public and I think maybe only about 2% even know what I am doing. It really is so easy and not very noticeable and if they do notice who cares what they think. You are giving your baby the best in life!
Old 05-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks hun. I did do it in the parking lot at wendys, I was in the blazer but I still did it. That was about as far as I will go, if I am outside I dont feel right.

Now what do you ladies wear to do this? Is there a shirt or something I can buy so I dont have to pull my shirt up every time? I have those nursing bras but I still have to put my shirt all up the way and me being still on the bigger side dont feel comfy doing that either.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Thanks hun. I did do it in the parking lot at wendys, I was in the blazer but I still did it. That was about as far as I will go, if I am outside I dont feel right.

Now what do you ladies wear to do this? Is there a shirt or something I can buy so I dont have to pull my shirt up every time? I have those nursing bras but I still have to put my shirt all up the way and me being still on the bigger side dont feel comfy doing that either.
I completely understand! I only ever felt comfortable NIP wearing a nursing top, because it kept my belly covered and helped me cover up well.

Here is a style that I have in several colors. I bought most of my nursing tops on clearance and sale at Motherhood Maternity stores in local malls. I prefer the ones with hidden underneath layers with dual nursing slits, here are pictures of some of the different styles. They call the kind I like, ALL AROUND NURSING UNDERLAYER. I use the top layer to arrange covering my breast and sort of tuck it under my thumb of the hand I was using to support my breast. That way if DS moved, it stayed in place. People rarely realized what I was doing. To anyone other than a fellow BFing mama, it really just looks like you are holding a sleeping baby when they are small.
Here is a good picture:
And the mamas on the Motherwear site are really nursing moms. I recognize some of them from that show Runway Moms. I think it is really cool that they want to show moms actually nursing in their nursingwear.

Some mamas like to wear nursing tanks under regular shirts, but I never really did that. But that is a good way to get coverage without buying many new items.

HTH.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote