Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do I get my DD to nap LONGER?

she is 14 weeks and such a champ sleeper at night. Seriously I couldn't ask for a better night sleeper. She is in bed sometimes before 7 and usually has one night feeding and then sleeps till 7 am sometimes later... when she does nurse at night I could put her back in her crib fairly easy and she goes back to sleep.
Naps are a whole other story. She fights them like the plague. I have recently been able to put her in her crib (unassisted, prior to this I was rocking her to sleep but even that didn't work these past couple weeks). Anyway, I am lucky is she sleeps 45 minutes. She takes FOREVER to get to sleep and then when she does she wakes up 20 minutes later for a brief moment. I try to be there when she does to sooth herself back to sleep. Then she is up 20-30 minutes later for good. I mean- eyes-wide-open, giggling awake. She does this about three times a day if I am lucky so she isn't napping much and by 4-5 pm she is a bear.
For your parents of good nappers what is your secret? How can I extend these naps and make her more efficient at getting to sleep during the day? Is she just too young to get a good nap schedule??
Thx

Advertisement

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do I get my DD to nap LONGER?

My son was not a big napper. He quit napping at one. For my girls I try to re-create the same night time atmosphere for naps as I do for bed. They nap well during the day. I also try to keep a consistent schedule for nap time etc. I hope you find something that works.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

DS is a lot like that. However just recently at 6 months he's slowly transitioning to taking about 3 longer naps during the day, maybe 30 minutes-1 hour each? I try everything to get him to sleep. The only thing I have found that for sure will make him sleep longer is if I nap with him. But that isn't always what I want, because there are things I need to do around the house and sometimes I just need a few minutes to myself sans baby, ya know?

I'm curious as to what other responses will be. I wish I knew how to get him to nap more but I don't. Other moms, both new and seasoned, have told me I should just be grateful that he sleeps through the night.

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
newmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This might not be what you want to hear, but we just had to wait it out. It seemed like DS would take 45 minute long naps FOREVER. You could set a timer by him - exactly 45 minutes. As he got older, his naps finally lengthened on their own. And he just started sleeping through the night on his own this week, but that is another story.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I could have written your post. LOL My mom suggested to let her cry because she really is still sleep even though she's awake and giggling. I'm a softie so I go in there when I first hear stirring and nurse her and she nods off. Sometimes she sleeps for a while (one day it was three hours!) but mostly it's another 30-60 minutes, but then she's good to put two hours or so between her naps. Once in a while I'll hear her stirring and if she's not attacking her face with her hands (trying to rub her eyes) she can put herself back to sleep. She takes three or four hour-ish naps during the day. And only wakes up once or twice during the night.