Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Done beginner foods... what's next?

DD has tried all of the beginner foods (according to the Heinz Healthy Baby Feeding Guide) : rice cereal, oatmeal cereal, peas, carrots, green beans, squash, sweet potatoes, wax beans, apple sauce, bananas, pears & peaches.
Lately, she eats cereal in the mid-morning, and veggies or fruit at suppertime. And she's also tried baby rice rusk cookies, and stole a pickle off my plate at supper.

We are ready to start "Strained" foods (6 months/stage 2) but I don't know where to start. I bought a bunch of the different veggies jars (peas & carrots combo, mixed veggies, creamed corn, & something called broccoli, potato & cheese casserole) and a bunch of fruits (apple sauce & bananas w/ oatmeal cereal, apples & blueberries, apple mango kiwi, apple plum raisin, bananas & apple sauce, banana mandarin orange, mixed fruit, fruit salad)
PLUS they have meat ones to start (sweet potato & turkey, veggie beef & spaghetti, veggies & chicken, etc)
I don't know where to start!!!!! Should I try the different veggies, or start introducing meat first. Or both. Do I have to do it the same way as I did with the beginner foods (only one kind of food for a couple days to see if there's a reaction) or once she's had all those can we just try whatever. She never had any reaction to the foods, tho she had one rash that we linked to her first time in a swimming pool, and she loves feeding time.

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
AngieJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Done beginner foods... what's next?

I would still do the one food 3 day rule just to be on the safe side if its something new .... if she has had it before and its just a bigger size then you should be fine. my son ate that baby food carrots fine but i mashed my own carrots and he broke out I dont know why
Old 05-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

So if she has like say... sweet potato & turkey for a few days, would I have to do the 3 day rule for veggies & turkey as well, or after she has the one turkey meal would that be good for all turkey meals? (she's had veggies, and she's had sweet potato, so only new food would be turkey)
Old 05-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
AngieJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say you would be good to go on that once she has had it once you should be fine..
Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
eilla05
Registered Users
seller

okay im gonna try to answer all the ? i hope i can remember them!

You can give her what ever you want but when you give her any new foods do follow the 3 day wait before giving her anything else new. She can have things that she has already had in that time period just nothing else new like before.

As for meats my pedi said to wait until 9months to give greyson meats. and I still havent given him honey,peanut butter or any berry. But thats just me!

i do recommend that you start chunky food sooner rather than later because my guy is almost 11months and I cant get him to eat a chunk! we didnt start trying till about a month ago!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilla05 View Post
okay im gonna try to answer all the ? i hope i can remember them!

You can give her what ever you want but when you give her any new foods do follow the 3 day wait before giving her anything else new. She can have things that she has already had in that time period just nothing else new like before.

As for meats my pedi said to wait until 9months to give greyson meats. and I still havent given him honey,peanut butter or any berry. But thats just me!

i do recommend that you start chunky food sooner rather than later because my guy is almost 11months and I cant get him to eat a chunk! we didnt start trying till about a month ago!
What does "chunky" food mean?
Thanks for the advice mommas! I think I'm going to do the "new" veggies and fruits (some of them are ones she's had but mixed together)... and this morning I mixed her rice cereal with apple sauce, and she loved that.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Speaking of solid or chunkier foods... DH just let DD try his pizza pretzel (baked dough with tomato sauce and a little cheese)... I hope that's not going to end up bad. She only had a little bit and it was mostly the bread part, I don't think she got any cheese (since she used her bottom teeth to bite it)
He did it before I saw... I guess if she's ok then don't worry?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
AngieJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No dont worry my son is 9 months old now and he gets cheese.... and yougert
Old 05-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

OH ya.. that reminds me, I gave her yogurt (sample day at Costco they had Minigo yogurt.. and she liked it so much I actualy bought some. Haven't given her any yet since then, but she's teething and her appetite isn't the greatest)
Old 05-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Beebug123
Registered Users

Sounds like you are doing fine. I agree with the chunkier stuff as well. For me I just went though all of the stage 2 varieties once and then went right to the Stage 3s and started finger foods. You could prob start finger foods like the puffs and rusks to teach the self feeding now, also those mesh feeders are good as well.