Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Sunshinegirls
Registered Users

Begining EC again with 12 mo old

We started EC with DD when she was only a few weeks old and she did start to learn but then we didn't stick with it. I've been putting her on the potty again for a couple weeks now but she doesn't seem to get it anymore. She either just tries to crawl off, or she cries and I take her off because I don't want to teach her to hate the potty.

I really want to start teaching her again but I no longer recognize her cues and I'm getting frustrated because she doesn't like sitting on the potty and doesn't seem to understand why I keep putting her on it. I haven't gotten a single catch since I started again.

I need some strategies to get back to EC without pushing her and frustrating us both. Any ideas? TIA!

Advertisement

Sunshinegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Begining EC again with 12 mo old

how about trying some toys to get her to sit there few min. do you ever take her in the bathoom with you when you go in to potty. try taking her in first thing when she gets up from a nap or with in like 10 min or so. You could squirt a little warm water on her while she is sitting on the potty some times that will help them go i did it with my DD at 3 months and once she went on it a couple times she realized what she was supost to be doing on it. k thats all the ideas i got mabie someone else has some better ideas. just keep trying

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Sunshinegirls
Registered Users

Thanks I'll have to try those. Right now I consider it a success if she happily sits on the potty or lets me hold her over the toilet even if she doesn't do anything. She tolerates being held over the toilet much better than the potty right now but all she wants to do is spin the tp roll. I'm keeping at it though.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
~Snoopy~
Registered Users
Formerly: cvj****
seller

My Mood:

I'm going through the exact same thing with my 12 month old too, except that we didn't start until a little bit before she turned 11 months old. She was doing so good, and now screams, cries, crawls off. She just doesn't seem to like it and I am getting frustrated because she was getting so good at it. No help here mama, but understanding hugs.
~Snoopy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think they all go through a stage where they dont want to do it for alyssa it has been mile stones crawling teething starting to learn to walk. she was just too busy to want to stop to go potty. I just started offering at times when i was fairly certain she would need to go 15 min or so after nursing a few min after waking up and she eventually started being more willing to go again. how about some toys in the bathroom so she only gets to play with them while she is on the potty and they stay fairly new and fun to her.?

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Wiffey
Registered Users
seller

Running water does the trick for my dd. I use this when I "know" she has to go, but can't settle down and relax. Sometimes, I even hold her over the sink with the water running so she can focus.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Sunshinegirls
Registered Users

Thanks mamas. I'll try the running water and special toys in the bathroom tricks. She just took her first steps yesterday (just had to throw that brag in) which also happened to be her birthday so maybe her reaching that milestone is interfering! She peed a tiny bit in the toilet this morning and I gave her loads of praise.