Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #21
br813
Registered Users
seller

Re: Potty train already dangit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chataine View Post

anyway for the mamas who just go cold turkey what do you do at night? i've always been super hands off..but i'm really getting tired of this..so i think dd might need a gentle nudge..or really me just being more consistent..

I guess I don't consider "potty trained" as night time trained too. DS still wears a diaper at night (but is dry in the morning a lot of times anyway).

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #22
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~stacy~ View Post
Hey there! We are totally frustrated over here too (or I am anyway ). Thomas has a VERY strong will and still doesn't talk much. So I am confused as to whether he doesn't understand what I am asking him to do, or if he understands perfectly but is just holding out. I am trying to be as low key about it as I can. But I am about ready to do a crash course on PLing and go cold turkey too. I have about 10 potty training pants that will hold a little but not much. i thought I'd let him run around in those for a week and nothing else and keep that potty right there in the living room with us. Who knows - maybe his younger brother will PL at the same time if he pays any attention to what's going on. But that's probably wishful thinking since the only time I tried to put his younger brother on the potty he screamed his head off and clung to me like I was holding him over a pit of snakes.

Good luck! Wishing the best for you!
Hiya Stacy! How ya doing? Good to hear from you. Miss seeing you post.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #23
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

YES, YES, YES! My dd will be three in September and I know that is young, my first was done at exactly 2. I want this part of my parenting over. She is so freaking stubborn. She'll hold her pee for hours wearing panties and will allow a tiny little bit to come out on the pot, but then as soon as I put the nighttime diaper on, forget it -it's full! We let her go naked or with panties all afternoon. I have a camel for a child!

Hugs!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #24
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well it's good to hear so many are in the same boat. I'm encouraged to hear some of your stories. I'm thinking I'm going to go cold turkey. Today we were talking about the potty and I asked him what he would do if we didn't have anymore diapers. I said "if we didn't have anymore diapers, where would you go potty?" And he quickly piped up "on the big potty like mommy and daddy." That's good news! Maybe he just needs a gentle nudge. The good thing with him is that he wakes up dry almost every morning. I'm not so much concerned about the nighttime wetness or dryness because one diaper a day isn't a big deal to me. I just would like to not have to change him during the day. He's just getting way too heavy to pick up and put on the changing table. Plus he's outgrown his covers and I now have to buy more covers for him which I had hoped I wouldn't have to do.

I think after tomorrow morning (we're doing breakfast with DH and will be out of the house for awhile) I'll just go cold turkey and put unders on him. Oh I hope this works! He totally understands what the subject is about! I know he knows what to do and how to do it..it's just getting him to that point where he will do it all the time.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #25
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am having issues too. My dd is three (four in DEC.) and she will NOT poop on the potty. She has been "pee trained" for a while now. She wears panties all day and night, just asks (or puts on herself) trainers for poop. She even will come to me after a poop and say "hurry mommy, change me, I have to pee!!" Ughh, so frustrating. I can't go "cold turkey", if I take away the trainers she will hold it ( for DAYS!!) and become very constipated. She is a very stubborn child. I guess I just have to let her choose her own time.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #26
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

this has been SO encouraging!!! i talked to my dh about it today and we're going cold turkey..we pretty much did today..we put one dipe on her when we went to breakfast..but i'm hoping the inspiration trainers i got will get here tomorrow... maybe i'll get her some more undies too...i think i just need to make it a priority and talk about it more..
Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #27
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chataine View Post
this has been SO encouraging!!! i talked to my dh about it today and we're going cold turkey..we pretty much did today..we put one dipe on her when we went to breakfast..but i'm hoping the inspiration trainers i got will get here tomorrow... maybe i'll get her some more undies too...i think i just need to make it a priority and talk about it more..
I'm with ya! I brought the pile of unders downstairs tonight. You think 16 pairs will be enough to last the first day cold turkey? Here's to hoping those three large Thirsties covers I ordered tonight will only be used as nighttime dipes.

We're BIG talkers in our house. We talk about everything so hopefully all the talking we've done over the last few months will just kick right into gear tomorrow. Lighting McQueen and Elmo unders might help that out too.

Last edited by imommy; 05-27-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling
imommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #28
br813
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by imommy View Post
I'm with ya! I brought the pile of unders downstairs tonight. You think 16 pairs will be enough to last the first day cold turkey? Here's to hoping those three large Thirsties covers I ordered tonight will only be used as nighttime dipes.

We're BIG talkers in our house. We talk about everything so hopefully all the talking we've done over the last few months will just kick right into gear tomorrow. Lighting McQueen and Elmo unders might help that out too.
We have Elmo, Thomas the Train, and sports underwear. DS LOVES them all!

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #29
SlumberMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We went cold turkey for daytime a couple months before DS turned 3. The day before DH and I took DS to Target and let him pick out special big boy underwear. The next day we threw out his diapers and put on the big boy underwear. I then proceeded to place as many sippy cups as I could in front of him with different types of juices. That first day he peed 11 times, the second to last one made it into the potty Day 2, he peed 4 times, 3 in the potty. Day 3, no more accidents! Pooping took another week or so. He did NOT want to poop on the potty and didn't go for almost a week. He was so constipated. Finally, we gave him straight juice (not watered down) to help things move along and he ran to the potty within 20 minutes

As for naptime and nighttime, we put him in Pull-ups and called them his "Naptime Big Boy Underwear." We NEVER used the word diaper. After a couple weeks I started to notice that he woke up from naps dry, so put him in regular underwear. A week later I noticed he woke up in the morning dry! Done!

Go cold turkey, momma! Good Luck!!

ETA: We didn't mean for him to get constipated...it just happened because he was too stubborn to go on the potty and I was too stubborn to put him in a diaper so he could poop! It just happened to work in our favor with the juice and the sudden urgency to go!
Yes, I take PP

Last edited by SlumberMomma; 05-27-2008 at 10:05 PM.
SlumberMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #30
knoxmama81
Registered Users
seller

We originally did go cold turkey and within a couple days DD was just about fully trained. She was having maybe an accident a day. For weeks she was acting like she had it down.

Then out of nowhere she started having accidents, actually I believe it started when we took away her beloved pacifer (cold turkey). So, then she starts peeing in her panties a couple times a day. I just would clean up and try to get her on the potty more often. Then she started hopping off the potty 1 second after she sat down, declaring she was done. Then she stopped sitting on the potty at all. So, after a week of peeing on the floor all day long and washing urine reeking pillows and clothes and rugs and carpet over and over and over. I gave in and put the diapers on her. All within a couple weeks she went from 90% PLed to nada.

Today I bribed her with cotton candy and she peed on the potty in 3 seconds flat. So, I know it's a power issue.

Last edited by knoxmama81; 05-27-2008 at 10:13 PM.
knoxmama81 is offline   Reply With Quote