Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
LaQuetta
Registered Users

My Mood:
Momma's that breastfeed and work...

How do you do it? We are still TTC but I know that I want to breastfeed if my body cooperates. I will have to work (unless we win the lottery) so I'm wondering how do you do the two. Before going back to work how did you pump to get milk to take to the sitters? Do your job let you pump at work? Is it possible to only pump once at work? And where do you store the milk at work?

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Momma's that breastfeed and work...

I've pumped at work nearly 4 months now. It's tough, but it's worth it knowing my son has only ever had BM.

To get ready for work I pumped about 20 bags of 2 oz each just so in case I didn't get the groove of it right away we had a backup to fall on.

I'd suggest trying to find what your area says about company responsibility. In my province it's written that the company you work for has to provide a safe and quiet place to pump, it falls under duty to accommodate, so before coming back I wrote the HR representative to make sure I'd have somewhere.

It's just a break out room available to everyone else, but it has a chair and table and they put a lock on the door just for me and I have a key in case I ever go up and it's locked.

I pump twice a day. I've tried only pumping once a day but I find the most I can get out of one pump that way, is 8 ounces (and that's engorged) which is less then my son needs a day. My son drinks on average 10 ounces a day, so as long as I strive to pump 10oz a day I know I'm good. Some days he drinks less, and adds to the storage pile, and some days he drinks more and takes from the storage pile, but in general, that's our magic number to be safe.

So I pump once at noon, which I usually get 6 oz from (double pumping, about 15 minutes) and I get about 4 ounces at my second pump at 3:30. I have a Medela PIS which I lug to and from work every day, which is killing my shoulders so I'm going to start leaving it at work and just taking the accessories and milk to and from every day. The PIS came with a little freezer bag, and I keep the milk in there with a large .. freezer.. cannister cooler thingie.. (?) and it keeps it cold enough that when I get home it goes right in the freezer and it's fine. There is a fridge and freezer in the kitchen which I could use but I don't want to have people stumble on breastmilk bags, so I just keep the PIS at my desk with the cooler bag inside it.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
lilepad
Registered Users

My Mood:

I pumped for about 10 months for my ds and I am currently on month 7 for my dd. I have a pump in style backpack. I bring two sets of horns and at least one *extra* set of bottles (I need 4 bottles at least so I bring in 6) with lids. I had my own office up until last week so I just pumped in here & worked while I pumped. Now I go down to the HR lady's office (she's only in my building a few hours a week). I pump 2 times a day. I think any less than that and I'd be popping buttons. I store the milk in bottles in the cooler w/ a blue freezer thing. At the end of the day, if I'm working in the office the next day (I work from home half of the time) I leave my pump (one less thing to carry). I transfer the milk into Lansinoh freezer bags and freeze them flat. Once they are frozen I move them upright into old lettuce clamshells. I send several to daycare at a time where they store them in their freezer (ask your daycare how they'd prefer it -- some prefer thawed/fresh milk in pre-prepared bottles). I wash the parts by hand before I go to bed and pack them up in the morning before I leave.

I also made sure to talk to HR when I was pg to let them know what my plans were when I returned. I think that it's important to have that conversation so that you don't have false expectations when you return.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
llmangan
Registered Users
seller

I've been pumping at work for almost a year. DS is ~ 14 months now and I'm expecting #2. Before my maternity leave I specifically asked my HR department if they had a lactation room. I was very happy to hear that they did and asked to see it before I left so I'd know where it was, what the accomodation were like, etc. Our company has ~ 500 employees and I'm the only one who actually uses the room! It's very surprising since this place seems to be a baby factory! I take full advantage of my extra "office" I leave all my stuff out so all I have to do is hook up and pump. It would be wonderful if we had a sink and a fridge in the room but compared to some I've got it good and don't complain. I just use the cooler bag w/ the ice pack and wipe down the parts with a medela quick clean cloth... I pump at least three times a day and if I can four. I do it once before I start work, once mid-morning, once mid-afternoon and once before I leave... I basically come in early/leave late and use my lunch break to make up the time. I have to do this since I have a long commute. I have a friend (she's a teacher) who only pumps once at work and has been able to make due but she's not seperated from her DS nearly as long so doesn't need to leave as much for him while she's away. I should mention that she does pump at home just before she leaves for work and at night before bed to make up the difference. So if you can't pump much at work you can find other times to get what you need for the next day - weekends for example...

Here's a few tips: 1.) Pump as much as you possibly can on leave. Once I was back at work I was a stressed out emotional wreck and I had a hard time pumping to meet demand... I'm glad I had a reserve set aside... Some women don't need any and others only need a small stash it's entirely up to you... 2.) Have extra parts on hand at work in case you forget something... The stories I could share about this are numerous.

Best of Luck TTC and if you want more information I suggest visiting kellymom.com
Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
therronsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Before going back to work how did you pump to get milk to take to the sitters?

With my first DS, I pumped 4 times a day after he would nurse, to start a stock pile in my freezer. This time I did not have to do that, as DS was in the NICU, and I ended up with a huge stockpile already frozen.

Do your job let you pump at work?

Yes. I am a nurse, and there are currently several in my department pumping. Sometimes my patient load, makes it hard to get away to pump, but generally I pump twice at work with no problem.

Is it possible to only pump once at work?

I wouldn't, but my supply is very touchy. If I do not pump twice, then I always pump as soon as I get home, so that my supply does not dip.

And where do you store the milk at work?

As I said, there are several of us pumping in my department, so we have a basket in the fridge that we put out bottles in, and we all have our bottles labeled. When I have to pump somewhere else, I just make sure that I put a cooler pack in my the cooler part of the PIS and the bottles in there.

My process- I take 4-6 4 ounces bottles with lids to pump into, depending on how many hours I am scheduled. I use the quick steam bags for my pump parts at work. After I get home, I freeze the milk in bags. For daycare, I have always just pulled out frozen milk and taken that (using the older milk first). I usually send enough for 2 extra bottles- but keep it frozen for just in case. My first DS started a growth spurt once while I was at work and took a few extra bottles, so it was a good thing the sitter had extra there.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
LaQuetta
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think I will talk to my superviser tomorrow. We only have about 50 staff and no one has pumped since I've been there...almost 2 years. I do have a coworker due in August that's wanting to breastfeed but is wondering where and how she would pump at work. NC doesn't have any laws saying they have to accomendate you on that so I guess I will start talking and seeing what I can get done. We have a 10 min break at 10, 30 lunch at 12, and a 10 min break at 2. Problem is we are expected to stay with our clients the whole time since they are paid breaks.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
sarahohm
Registered Users

My Mood:

You may want to mention to your supervisor that by supprting your efforts to pump he/she is benefiting themselves. Breastfed babies are sick less often which means you will not miss as much work in the long run.
Stick to your guns mama...it is that important.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pump a lot in the early days- your boobs will be milk machines then- I find it's easier for me to start a stash early before my supply starts to adjust to only what he needs. We are lucky- I work at a children's hospital, so we have a big lactation room in the NICU for the babies' moms that we can use too which means I don't have to bring my pump at all, just attachments. It's awesome I work 12 hour days- I pump 3 times if possible and once right before I leave home. I sometimes have to sacrifice my lunch, but it's worth it to me.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i supplement w-similac sensitive
Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
mmillerRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
Pump a lot in the early days- your boobs will be milk machines then- I find it's easier for me to start a stash early before my supply starts to adjust to only what he needs.
I did that, and then ended up pumping 10-12 oz [I]after[I] my DS nursed every 2 hrs. I had to spend 6 weeks fixing my 'mistake', because I was so engorged all the time, and I didn't want to get to work and not be able to pump when I needed to (I'm a nurse, breaks come when they come ). When my DD was born, I pumped off just the extra, and still have probably a good weeks' worth of milk if never BF again! You will know after you pump your breasts dry the first time how much you produce. If you get 1-3oz on full breasts, then you need extra pumping stimulation after your LO eats.
mmillerRN is offline   Reply With Quote