Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
anyi
Registered Users

Re: Momma's that breastfeed and work...

i'll be heading back to work soon too, so this thread is really helpful. i'm a little bewildered by the whole thing. if you pump @ work & home, do you still bf when you get home? do you have enough to feed after pumping? also, did you have to put your LO on feeding schedule, especially if you have pump on schedule? currently i bf on demand, which ranges from every 1.5 to 3 hrs. thanks!

Advertisement

anyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
mmillerRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyi View Post
i'll be heading back to work soon too, so this thread is really helpful. i'm a little bewildered by the whole thing. if you pump @ work & home, do you still bf when you get home? do you have enough to feed after pumping? also, did you have to put your LO on feeding schedule, especially if you have pump on schedule? currently i bf on demand, which ranges from every 1.5 to 3 hrs. thanks!
YES, BF when you get home! That's still your time to bond with your baby. If you don't have any milk stored, try pumping a little extra in between to build your supply.
mmillerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
lilepad
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
if you pump @ work & home, do you still bf when you get home? do you have enough to feed after pumping? also, did you have to put your LO on feeding schedule, especially if you have pump on schedule?
Yes, I bf as soon as I walk in the door (almost literally--my DH picks the kids up and as soon as dd sees me she goes berserk)

I feed on demand when we're together. Your body will always make enough for the baby though *sometimes* your letdown will be slower if you have pumped recently so the baby gets frustrated, which can make you think that you don't have enough milk. You have enough--your baby just needs to be patient.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I pump for the last time around 4:30 or 5 and have dh give a bottle NO LATER than 6. That way when I get home at 8 we're both ready! DS is fed on demand too at home- he eats every 1-3 hours. When he's bottle fed he only wants to eat every 3-4. There's a lot more hindmilk in his bottles than what he takes from me consistently, so I think he stays full longer. I end up pumping almost exactly what he takes, sometimes I get about an ounce more or so.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

I worked away from home up until just less than a year ago. Both of my 2 boys were left with sitters from 6 weeks and I BFd them both well past a year and pumped the whole time at work.

The first couple of weeks pp I'm so engorged that it's easy and even necessary to pump a few times a day. I store that in the freezer for bottle "trial runs" starting at four weeks, done by dh with me out of the room completely. After I started work at 6 weeks pp, I would pump whenever I felt let down. A few times a day. I know that my supervisors weren't exactly thrilled with the whole thing, but no one said anything and if they did I would have taken it straight to HR. After a few months I would drop down to pumping twice in a ten hour work day, then after a year it would usually drop down to once. But still getting the same amount of milk total. I hardly ever pumped at home after going back to work. I always nurse on demand when I'm with my kids.

It's not ideal, but it's not too bad, either. Good luck with TTC!
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #16
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your body'll adapt to whatever you need. I finish pumping usually at 3:45-4:00 and get home by 5:00 and I have enough milk for a marathon nursing session. (And yeah, most babies won't let you get away with not nursing right when you get home! My baby doesn't look at my face when I walk in the door, but lunges for the milk.) We nurse on demand too.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #17
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been working full-time (and then some) since 6 weeks and dd2 is 8 months now--still pumping and ebfing! I had a stash built up at the beginning since she was in the NICU for a couple of weeks, and I just kept pumping. Our company has a couple hundred employees, but I think only two of us are using the little pumping room right now. Ask your company/HR where you can pump. I talked to my supervisor about it as well, especially since dd2 being a NICU baby, she NEEDED the milk, and we usually only have two paid 15-min breaks, and I got permission to pump as much as I needed to--I pump three times, 15 min each (about--sometimes it's 10, sometimes it's 20), and then I take one regular break to eat and stay sane . (We're switching supervisors this week but as far as I know, that's not changing.) I have to pump all three times, once every 2.5 hours--my supply is touchy/almost low, and I get spontaneous letdown if I don't pump that much (waste all that milk, owww, and the wet shirt ). I swear, dd wakes up the minute I get home and wants to nurse. Dh uses the pumped milk (we work opposite shifts), and I nurse the whole time when I'm home, on demand. Sometimes if she's not eaten for a while, I'll pump once at home too, and pop that in the fridge. At work, I use the freezer pack that comes with the Medela Pump In Style I use.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
LaQuetta
Registered Users

My Mood:

I looked up the laws in my state and your job doesn't have to accomendate you. That being said the place I work at isn't very accomendating to everyday things so it's going to be pretty near impossible to get permission to pump. Off topic...I'm looking for a new job anyway because I'm beyond burned out with my current one so I will add pump friendly to the list of things I'm looking for in a job.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started pumping regularly 2 weeks before going back to work (once in the am, once in the afternoon and once in the evening--always after DS nursed). I had 300+ oz stored before returning to work. Once I went back to work I started pumping in the morning before going to work, once mid-morning (10 minutes) once at lunch time (20 minutes) and again when I got home (10-15 minutes). I went back to work at 8 weeks post-partum. DS is 10.5 months old now and we're going strong, not to mention I have 2000 oz of frozen breast milk!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pump once a day on my lunch hour. I pumped a few times before I went back just to make sure I had enough for the first day. Now that my DS is older he mainly sticks to solids during the day and reverse cycles.

All you need to pump is an outlet and a place to put the pump. All else is extra.